This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2011

Blurb: Finally at rest, the loving king

I rather enjoyed playing through Gen V, it was a great time. It was only the post-game that I found lacking and didn't enjoy as much as previous installments. After beating the Elite Four again and getting all the Unova pokemanz I could get in Black I just stopped playing it. This could just be due to me being older though, but I digress. *shrug*

Also the whole "Gen V pokemon lacks creativity, Gen I is godliek" stuff really needs to stop. How can you be arguing against garbage/ice cream cones with eyes while defending sludge/groups of eggs with eyes? Every gen the developers come up with new ideas for pokemon. Obviously some will be better than others and not all will top ideas of previous gens. Gen V still brought great ones like Hydreigon, Eelektross, and Zoroark while Gen I had it's share of stinkers like the aforementioned Muk and Exeggcute and Electrode. Take off your rosy nostalgia goggles and realize that every gen's pokemon will be different with different ideas and shouldn't be degraded because one doesn't like change.
Old 08-12-2011

Blurb: CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajeev50 View Post
Also the whole "Gen V pokemon lacks creativity, Gen I is godliek" stuff really needs to stop. How can you be arguing against garbage/ice cream cones with eyes while defending sludge/groups of eggs with eyes? Every gen the developers come up with new ideas for pokemon. Obviously some will be better than others and not all will top ideas of previous gens. Gen V still brought great ones like Hydreigon, Eelektross, and Zoroark while Gen I had it's share of stinkers like the aforementioned Muk and Exeggcute and Electrode. Take off your rosy nostalgia goggles and realize that every gen's pokemon will be different with different ideas and shouldn't be degraded because one doesn't like change.
Agreed. Also, I honestly think they are running out of ideas for Pokemon names, not designs. For example, the Pokemon Sawk (pronounced Sock). Yeah, real creative. -_- Don't get me wrong, I love the designs of the new Pokemon. Unfortunatly, some of their names just suck and I'll be really unhappy if we get a Pokemon named Shoo (pronounced Shoe) in Generation 6. :/

Last edited by WolfSpirit456; 08-12-2011 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2011
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSpirit456 View Post
Agreed. Also, I honestly think they are running out of ideas for Pokemon names, not designs. For example, the Pokemon Sawk (pronounced Sock). Yeah, real creative. -_- Don't get me wrong, I love the designs of the new Pokemon. Unfortunatly, some of their names just suck and I'll be really unhappy if we get a Pokemon named Shoo (pronounced Shoe) in Generation 6. :/
I personally disagree, I think completely comes back to the modern games stupid looking pokemon...the names were never that creative, but they made sense, it worked anyway...prime example-Charmander, clearly a mix of salamander and carmelin, two lizards and charmander looked like Lizard, so we got it.

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan=oh I get it, there fighters, so call them hit-monster chan and lee, clear references to Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee,

Now however it is less inspiring because we have no idea what the pokemon is and thus cannot make these corrections, I bet sawk has a reference but we have no idea what sawk is meant to be, because it looks like a retarded version of the aliens from the blue bata song. :P
Old 08-12-2011
Grand Excavator of the Poop Mines;
Sovereign of Soiled Nappies
Prognosticator of prognosticators

Blurb: Married father of two, sci-fi author
Muffins Served: 20,403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
I personally disagree, I think completely comes back to the modern games stupid looking pokemon...the names were never that creative, but they made sense, it worked anyway...prime example-Charmander, clearly a mix of salamander and carmelin, two lizards and charmander looked like Lizard, so we got it.

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan=oh I get it, there fighters, so call them hit-monster chan and lee, clear references to Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee,

Now however it is less inspiring because we have no idea what the pokemon is and thus cannot make these corrections, I bet sawk has a reference but we have no idea what sawk is meant to be, because it looks like a retarded version of the aliens from the blue bata song. :P
Pikachu

Yeah... definitely a name that makes me think "electric" and "mouse"

Also, on the case of Sawk... I dunno, but I hear it and immediately think Rock'em Sock'em Robots. So yeah, I see that connection to fighting and it makes sense to me.
Old 08-12-2011
BANNEDARCHER!

Location: From the United Kingdom I'm looking for him. I'm going to California~
Blurb: Fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post

Sawk is a reference to "sock" in the sense of to punch or hit, and the pokemon is based on a karate master.

In the same way, Throh is a reference to "throw", and the pokemon is based on a judo master.
Old 08-12-2011
Grand Excavator of the Poop Mines;
Sovereign of Soiled Nappies
Prognosticator of prognosticators

Blurb: Married father of two, sci-fi author
Muffins Served: 20,403

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarcher View Post
Sawk is a reference to "sock" in the sense of to punch or hit, and the pokemon is based on a karate master.

In the same way, Throh is a reference to "throw", and the pokemon is based on a judo master.
Called it.
Old 08-12-2011

Send a message via MSN to Ave

I'm happy with the gen 5 names. A lot of them reminded me of how JK Rowling goes all out with her names and terms(though of course there are exceptions.) I thought most of the gen 4 names were just terrible.

Personally I think gen 5 was one of the best ones in the entire series and I was happy to see them break so many strongly held and long-lasting Pokemon cliches. The story is a bit less formulaic and more original in the context of Pokemon storylines[though in the context of storylines in general it's still pretty weak with nothing new to offer in the least bit]. Many of the Pokemon are very natural looking(others are just plain odd or silly, but I'm fine with that X'D) which reminded me of gen 2(my favorite gen.) It's also nice that slackers like me can EV train whenever, even though I'll probably never do that. And... that ****ing bridge. Just.... that ****ing bridge. Over all this game renewed my interest in Pokemon after gen 4 killed it.
Quote:
Best game set since GSC and HGSS (which is just a remake of GSC, but with some nice extras).
It's the only set since HGSS. o3o

Last edited by Ave; 08-12-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2011
Not a Moderator

Blurb: KRILLIN!
Send a message via MSN to eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajeev50 View Post
I rather enjoyed playing through Gen V, it was a great time. It was only the post-game that I found lacking and didn't enjoy as much as previous installments. After beating the Elite Four again and getting all the Unova pokemanz I could get in Black I just stopped playing it. This could just be due to me being older though, but I digress. *shrug*

I lieked tird gen da best. 8Y
Old 08-13-2011

I love Pokemon. I only got into it when Pokemon Diamond came out in 2007, and had no idea what it was before then, but, I love it now.
I've been a little inactive on my game over the past year, but, I was so excited when Black and White came out.

I can understand where people are coming from with the whole Gen V pokemon being uncreative, I think most of them look like old Pokemon, or just, make you think, why on earth would anyone want that or create that?

But, as I have played all generations, even though I got into Pokemon during G IV, I don't see how the old games are any better than the new ones. I mean, the Pokemon, may have been better, in your opinion, but, I think the gameplay has vastly improved, especially in Pokemon Black/White. The new graphics are also lovely. I just think they need to stop making new games, I mean, it's pretty much impossible to 'catch 'em all', really.

My favourite Gen is III, closely followed by Gen II.

In my opinion, the English names are pretty awful, but, that doesn't mean I don't play the English versions of the games. I do prefer the Japanese names, but it doesn't put me off the game.

Last edited by Shrouded in Darkness; 08-13-2011 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Needed to add some more information.
Old 08-13-2011
Not a Moderator

Quote:
My favourite Gen is III
Do you like Latias?
Old 08-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternity View Post
Do you like Latias?
Yeah, why?
Old 08-14-2011
Not a Moderator

She's my favourite of all time~
I think you and I will get along nicely, bra.
[ Assuming you actually are a girl. ]
Old 08-14-2011

Oh, I see! :3
My favourite would have to be... Treecko or Swellow... Or Noctowl. I like Grass and Flying-Types the best, I believe.

Latias is adorable! <3 I like a lot of Pokemon, I doubt I could list them all though. :l

Yes, I am female. :3
Old 08-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrouded in Darkness View Post
Latias is adorable! <3
Agreed, especially in the movie staring her and Latios. :3

Quote:
Yes, I am female. :3
Same here.
Old 08-14-2011

Blurb: Playing in the snow with the Yugioh gang <3

Quote:
Agreed, especially in the movie staring her and Latios. :3
That one was SOOOOOOOO CUTE; i LOVED both of them in their and I like how Latias was the only one who transformed into a human
Old 08-14-2011
Not a Moderator

I love everyone who loves Latias.

Very thankfully, though, Latias wasn't tortured. She's too innocent for that.
Old 08-14-2011

Yeah and you can totally tell how much she loves Latios especially at the end :'(
Old 08-14-2011
TOOMAH

Blurb: Every Villain Is Lemons

Let me give you my thoughts on each gen of Pokemon.

Gen I= Awesome!
Gen II= Awesome!
Gen III= Awesome!
Gen IV= Awesome!
Gen V= Awesome!

Good day.
Old 08-14-2011

^Agreed :)
Old 08-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKaworu View Post
Let me give you my thoughts on each gen of Pokemon.

Gen I= Awesome!
Gen II= Awesome!
Gen III= Awesome!
Gen IV= Awesome!
Gen V= Awesome!

Good day.
I love you.
All generations are good and equal. I think that the people who are nitpicking to find problems with the new games obviously don't like Pokemon.
Old 08-16-2011

Quote:
All generations are good and equal. I think that the people who are nitpicking to find problems with the new games obviously don't like Pokemon.
Agreed.
Old 08-16-2011
BANNEDARCHER!

Location: From the United Kingdom I'm looking for him. I'm going to California~
Blurb: Fool!

Well people I finished my dex today. Fun times.
Old 08-16-2011

Blurb: Screw the rules, I'm back baby!!
Send a message via MSN to zsil

Primeape FTW!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2011

Quote:
Agreed.
Seconded.
Old 08-16-2011
Not a Moderator

Quote:
I love you.
I find the crappy stuff.

I still enjoy the games.
I'm just not a big fan of change. Never was.
I DO want to learn to cope with change, though. Since, I can't have my favourite game in one-region-only for the rest of time. <<
Old 08-26-2011

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

Quote:
I love you.
I like the old but not the new, though its more me looking threw nostalgia glasses as I remember when gen 1 was the only gen
Old 08-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
I like the old but not the new, though its more me looking threw nostalgia glasses
Well, I half agree with you. I honestly love the 5th gen because to me, 4th gen was the worst gen. 5th gen actually had an interesting story, which kept the games pretty interesting. Plus, THE POKEMON MOVED DURING BATTLE!!! The music for the games where also quite good, too. Anyway, I still love the older gens. 2nd gen will always be my favorite.

Last edited by WolfSpirit456; 08-29-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2011

Blurb: guys watch my channel
Send a message via AIM to Blaydrix Send a message via MSN to Blaydrix Send a message via Yahoo to Blaydrix

I want a team full of Pokemon that look like badasses. Like Gallade (my favorite Pokemon) and Bisharp. But, in reality I stick to my balanced team. I keep Gallade because he's a boss and then I have Gliscor, my second favorite Pokemon. Then I have Swampert, Eelektross, Leafeon, and Volcarona. Leafeon is my only weak link, but I love Leafeon. Third favorite Pokemon.
Old 08-30-2011

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

never heard of any of those
Old 08-30-2011
Not a Moderator

Honest question, not trying to be rude.

If you aren't a big fan of Pokemon, Xanadu, why are you posting in here?

Again. Not trying to be rude, or troll. I'm asking a genuine question.