This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Music
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystra View Post
Avrigus are the one's that're 'dubbed' melodic doom not Avantasia.
I know - you compared Avigrus to Avantasia, so I just meant to say that, at least as far as the name of the genre goes, the two are very different.
Old 08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef Stalin View Post
I dislike metal.
then leave and never visit this thread again?
Old 08-30-2010

Death to all but Metal, amirite?

Last time I posted in a thread of pure metal, I was like... 13 or 14, and it became a huge flame war when I asked if Disturbed was metal.
Old 08-30-2010

Because a large amount of metal fans are pretentious and think that hating on whatever isn't 'pure metal' is the thing to do. I think Disturbed are a good band, metal or not, and I don't know why it should matter either way if the music retains its quality.
Old 08-30-2010

I agree. Although now, that I think of it, Disturbed is more hard rock. But they have metal tendencies, especially from the 1st album.
Old 10-13-2010

alright, so I've continued working on my Top 20 for 2010. I took a hiatus and I'm now getting back to working on it. As of now, I have spots 20, 16-15, 13, 10-9, 6-5, 3-1 filled. Now (with the exception spots 1 and 2) no band is set in stone. The placings change with each album I check out. For example, lets say I put Arsis as number 13, but then I listen to Kamelot's new album, and I feel it deserves that spot. Arsis would then be 14, and Kamelot would be 13.

and before I check it out, what do you guys think; Should KoRn be mentioned, or placed, in the countdown?
Old 10-13-2010
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandapat View Post
Should KoRn be mentioned, or placed, in the countdown?
*crosses fingers* Pleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejoking *uncross*
Old 10-13-2010
Sex-Administrator

Blurb: This is a Blurb

hmm... I am generally a huge metal fan... though as far as I know I think most of the bands I listen to are the really well known ones. I listen to any kind really, but have my preferences of course

SOAD
Scars on Broadway
Korn
Nightwish
Slipknot
Stone Sour
Dragonforce
Metallica
Machine head
Rammstein
Megadeth
Pantera
Marylin Manson
Evanescence (they are hard rock or gothic symphonic metal, either way)

Those are the artists I regularly listen to on my Ipod, but I have some Slayer, Disturbed and songs of various other people on there which I dont listen to quite as much.

Any suggestions for bands which are good but arnt screamo?
Old 10-13-2010
Whiskey Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimfang999 View Post
hmm... I am generally a huge metal fan... though as far as I know I think most of the bands I listen to are the really well known ones. I listen to any kind really, but have my preferences of course

SOAD
Scars on Broadway
Korn
Nightwish
Slipknot
Stone Sour
Dragonforce
Metallica
Machine head
Rammstein
Megadeth
Pantera
Marylin Manson
Evanescence (they are hard rock or gothic symphonic metal, either way)

Those are the artists I regularly listen to on my Ipod, but I have some Slayer, Disturbed and songs of various other people on there which I dont listen to quite as much.

Any suggestions for bands which are good but arnt screamo?
Are you applying the screamo label literally or have you made up your own definition of what screamo means and just don't like harsh vocals? Anyways, you might be interested in some of these:

Mastadon- Sample. If you like them you might like Baroness, Kylessa, and Yakuza.

Rhapsody (of Fire)- No sample because I don't actually like this band. People claim its a good version of Dragonforce, but I don't care for either band.

Galneryus- Sample. My favorite power metal band. Check out their first four albums, but avoid their later career like the plague. Its a fucking tragedy what happened to this band.

Acid Bath- Sample. Sludge metal masterpiece. If you don't like this then sludge probably isn't for you.

Deftones- Sample. Long ago I listened to a list of bands similar to the one you posted. I liked the Deftones then. Now that I'm older and bands like slipknot and korn are now appalling childish to me, guess what? I still love the Deftones. This is the ONLY good band to come out of the Nu-metal movement of the 90's. I highly recommend all albums after Adrenaline (their first album was mediocre.)

That's about all I have that I think you would like. I don't listen to much metal anymore though. There's so much good music out there that you shouldn't limit yourself to one genre.
Old 10-13-2010

Killshot, I originally wasn't going to mention them in my countdown because they do Hard Rock. but I've been seeing comments that say that it's pretty heavy. and some that say its some decent "metal". thats why I asked
Old 10-14-2010
Sex-Administrator

I meant literal screamo. Machine head has fairly harsh vocals, so does slipknot. Harshness is not a problem, its just constant screaming is just silly

I have heard some mastodon and deftones, and they are pretty good.

Though people saying rapsody is a good version of dragonforce? Ill see about that. Odds are people that say that have only heard TTFAF, which while good is not their best.
Old 10-14-2010
Whiskey Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandapat View Post
Killshot, I originally wasn't going to mention them in my countdown because they do Hard Rock. but I've been seeing comments that say that it's pretty heavy. and some that say its some decent "metal". thats why I asked
Korn practically invented Nu-metal. While you could make the argument that Nu-metal isn't metal either, even if you did consider them metal they shouldn't be in a top 10 list of anything. Nu-metal is almost universally awful (see Deftones comment above) and Korn are no longer in their prime. Now its just a bunch of 40 year old guys still singing about high school angst. If by "pretty heavy" you mean sad and pathetic, by all means put them on the list. Just look at this video before you even consider ranking them. Even if you overlook the fact that they totally jumped the shark here by shooting this video in a corn field, you have to admit this sounds pretty weak. I used to like Korn when I was younger so believe me when I say this is garbage compared to their earlier work (which wasn't that good to begin with.)

Its your list so do whatever you want with it, but don't expect people to take you seriously when you put bands like Korn in a list of top metal albums.
Old 10-14-2010

I love Rhapsody to bits, though I can understand people's criticisms for their vocalist. He's not a bad singer, but his vibrato is somewhat overdone at times and his vocal control seems poor at others. Still, the music is mind-blowing. I suggest listening to Reign of Terror, which I think is their best song. They're more orchestral and grandiose, but amazing guitar work is still very much present.
As for DragonForce, I've never been able to get into them despite being a power metal fan. Maybe I just haven't heard the right songs yet (fyi, yes, I've heard more than TTFAF ).

Screaming can be silly if overdone or done badly (ie. a lot of bands in -core genres) - that said, it can also create a wonderful atmosphere if done properly. Screaming is best used when combined with other contrasting genres - bands like Epica and After Forever, for example.

Last edited by Ohara; 10-14-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2010

Cobra

I'm really into Celtic Folk Metal right now..
I used Inis Mona, by Eluveitie as a gateway in, and am utterly engrossed in it right now.
Old 10-15-2010
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

=Killshot, while i don't like Korn and apart from 1 song, never really have, that seems harsh, I personally find this....there new stuff not as good as old argument comes, not from the bands quality decreasing, but your tastes changing, you like old music out of nostalgia, but won't have same connection to new stuff, so don't like it. Sort of like me with Marylin Manson

=And on that point, though I am no great knowledge fountain here, since when was Marylin Manson considered heavy metal????????
Old 10-15-2010
Sex-Administrator

Well... He does kinda fit into them I guess he isnt exactrly but everythign is there: Heavy riffs, controversial songs, often dark overtones, ranging of harsh whispers to angry shouts...

So he kinda does fit into it, but kinda doesnt
Old 10-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
I'm really into Celtic Folk Metal right now..
I used Inis Mona, by Eluveitie as a gateway in, and am utterly engrossed in it right now.
Inis Mona is a wonderful song.
I'm not sure what else to recommend, though. You might like some of Rhapsody's music - A New Saga Begins and The Village of Dwarves both stand out, with the former being one of my favorite songs of theirs. The vocals aren't nearly as harsh as Eluveitie's, though.

Last edited by Ohara; 10-16-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2010

Blurb: don't pee on me and tell me it's raining

Suffocation - adding them because they're home town heroes for the New York metal scene and I saw them last nite.

They're a deathcore band from Long Island and have been around for 20+ years. I've been seeing them live for the last 16 years and they never fail to put on a great show...and the pits are insane. Derek Boyer of Decrepit Birth and Dying Fetus fame plays bass for them. (If you've never seen him play bass you should check him out. He's a great bassist and plays his bass almost like an upright)
Old 11-06-2010

so, im almost done with my top 20 of 2010 list. im pretty sure im locking up spots 1-5 now. no bands can top the ones Ive placed there. not only am I happy with the way this list is turning out this year, but viewers and other metal heads could agree with what band made which spot
Old 11-07-2010

i look forward to seeing your list pandapat
Old 11-09-2010

As am I.
The best new album I've heard this year is probably Rhapsody of Fire's The Frozen Tears of Angels, mostly just for being consistently awesome. Others would be What Lies Beneath by Tarja and At the Edge of Time by Blind Guardian. Dimmu Borgir's Abrahadabra has some lovely songs on it, but there are a few uninteresting ones that stop it from being *really* good.
I haven't listened to enough to make a fair decision, though...

Last edited by Ohara; 11-12-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2010

Blurb: lu lu lu, I bake myself a milk

WACKEN!!! I´m sorry, thats happens some times^^'
Old 11-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjamira View Post
WACKEN!!! I´m sorry, thats happens some times^^'
gods i wish i could go to wacken!
Old 11-10-2010

Yeah, some metalfraeks had wish to marry me, just because my home is just an hour per car away^^´ The last four years i drove with my father and his motorcycle-riding pals to WOA. I even met peoples from Isreal, Afghanistan,Equador, Australia and Japan there; its just unbelievable how many fans from all over came every year^^
Old 11-10-2010

PS: Avatar is just wonderfull....I just watched it on german but this sentence i would remember in every language^^
Old 11-12-2010

the Israeli's are coming out with more and more great metal. Orphaned Land, Distorted and Mahavatar to name a few.
Old 11-13-2010

well, it's November, and I'm just about done with the list. Right now, I'm checking to see if Equilibrium is gonna make it. but I have a question for you guys. Should Whitechapel be mentioned? cuz last year, I got smashed for having Suicide Silence make one of the bottom spots, and since Whitechapel is the same genre as them, and seeing as how they played at Warped Tour this year with them, should they be considered?
Old 11-16-2010

Put whoever you personally think deserves a place in. It's your list.
Old 11-19-2010

Blurb: I will crossdress for tequila.

\m/
Old 11-20-2010

still working on the list. I've decided Im not gonna bother with whitechapel. so, im looking over the list, and I still think its good. just made an adjustment, and it looks much better.

Black Metal is doing very well this year, so expect alot of Black Metal bands on my countdown.

I cant believe I'm almost done with this list and I forgot to check out Iron Maiden. WTF is wrong with me?

Last edited by pandapat; 11-20-2010 at 03:50 PM.