This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2010
Sex-Administrator

Blurb: This is a Blurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymagick711 View Post
For example, growth hormones in non-organic foods and meats might accumulate in the body earlier than when the pituitary gland naturally produces them. The causes maturation to occur at an earlier age.

But it seems this discussion is more psychological? Hm...well, changes in the body correlate and may cause changes in mentality, but that might not always be the case. I'd call many adolescents physically mature for their age...but mentally? Not so much.
While I do agree with you there, I was speaking along the lines of them doing things and knowing things they shouldnt at too young of an age. Personally when I first hit puberty I actually didnt like it and so just skipped the entire teenage immature stage, aside from my insanity, but that was my choice and was driven to it through peer pressure :P

Now about the growth hormones. Crtainly it does make children develop much faster, but here there is nothing that can be done sadly. The most obvious thing its doing however is making our race taller, though that might just be a process which is occuring due to greater health

@fat, ah i see. I thought that was a little extreme, but if that is the true law then I fully agree with it

[QUOTE=FluffyFTW;1184050]I believe this generation is certainly growing up fast. I know youngsters between ages of eleven and sixteen years-old who are already drinking alcohol, going out clubbing, smoking weed and getting into relationships. I started doing all the above (besides smoking weed) when I was seventeen going onto eighteen. Teenagers are eager and pressurised to look 'cool', it's just sad.

Quote:
I think the mass media is partly to blame. I do agree that they are controlling young minds. Ever heard of the term 'monkey see, monkey do'? My twelve year-old cousin imitates Rihanna and Lady GaGa doing all these provocative dancing moves, it's really quite disturbing. These artists are glamourising sexual behaviour through music videos and lyrics, and kids are thinking it's 'trendy' to act like that.
yeah certainly. I think lady Gaga is an evil brainwashing bitch beyond just the dancing. How else could Bad romance get 28000000 or so views on youtube in the short space of time? I swear theres subliminal messages in the beat and videos... but yeah the media. Thus why I listen to metal. Yes, may be angry, yes, some bands may have sexual songs, but at least they are direct and there are few of them. Metal helps people mature, but in a positive way rather than destructive, promoting anti-war and not getting addicted to drugs and so on.

Quote:
But I mostly blame parents for letting youngsters have access to television, internet and other forms of media at such an early age. It's parents' responsibility to set guidelines and keep them safe from all this mind-controlling rubbish. They need to educate their children themselves, and not let the mass media do the job.
Though sometimes its not the parents. While the parents maybe partial in this, but older siblings arer far to open and teach their 6 year old brothers about the things which should be left until eleven years old
Old 05-21-2010
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

Quote:
The law actually stands that you are allowed to slack your child as long as no simi-premant or premant marks are left.
OK, that is something I can allow in my mind. I don't know UK law, I just know that there are people who want to make it a law, at least in the US, that we shouldn't spank children period.

It's just that I'm finding that a lot of people who are against spanking weren't spanked themselves, whereas the people for spanking are people who were spanked.

I might be able to raise a family without spanking the kids, but if there's no other way to get them under control, it'll be the last resort. I most likely won't enjoy doing it, but sometimes, parental control over tyrants is more important than feelings.

And again, there's a fine line between punishment and abuse. Know it.
Old 05-21-2010

Old 05-21-2010

Blurb: Stop inviting me to groups.

I've never been exposed to a large amount of media in my early youth. All I watched on TV were the Olympic games and children's shows. Once I grew older, I found an interest in reading books and learning stuff (lolnerd), so I wasn't exposed to much media at all.

Now, though, my mind is probably just as 'bad' as other teen my age. Peer pressure, as mentioned a few times, is also a major cause. My friends have influenced my knowledge about sexual issues.

Regarding sexualised media, I do agree that a lot of it is giving out the wrong messages about many issues in life. Music, music videos and films are probably the main culprits. When someone is exposed to a lot of a certain thing, they receive the message that it's okay to do this, or it's 'cool' to do something irresponsible.

The funny thing is that my parents taught me next to nothing about sexual maturity. All they did is say 'don't do this because it's bad'. I only learnt about sexual stuff by listening in PD class and paying attention to my friends. The media also helped me adopt a responsible mindset to sex. I watch the news quite a bit nowadays. I know the media exaggerates a lot of the time, but it taught me that a lack of responsibility and thought in ANY matter can lead to unwanted consequences.

In short, parents aren't the only way children can learn about responsibility in mature matters, and media isn't all bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSallyBakura View Post
And again, there's a fine line between punishment and abuse. Know it.
This. However, from experience and reading up on stuff, 'positive reinforcement' (praising your child for doing things well) is a better way or encouraging positive behaviour. But that's highly besides the point.
Old 05-21-2010

I do agree with your post, but I just want to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconia Dominus View Post
This. However, from experience and reading up on stuff, 'positive reinforcement' (praising your child for doing things well) is a better way or encouraging positive behaviour. But that's highly besides the point.
Yes, I think that positive reinforcement makes children want to make a positive impact. If they're only getting attention for the bad things they do, then all they're going to do is get in trouble.
Old 05-21-2010

Blurb: Is time free or priceless?

One lecture I attended some time ago discussed a very interesting view point:

Since the beginning of someone's life, s/he is a product of their parents's genes and whoever raised them. The nature is the genes, the nurture is the parents.

Early years in life, we basically take no part in decision making in what we eat or do, or what we are even allowed to watch. This comes from a dependency on the guardians--without help, there is a slim chance for survival.

The guardians have the absolute authority and can mold immature psyche into whatever they want it to be. If they wanted to, they could even block out all negative images from the media, control what the response is to drugs, and just condition behavior.

The overall implication of the chapter was that people are direct products from their inheritance and origin. It went so far as to say that if a parent controlled the child well enough, things like peer pressure and influence from the media would not effect him/her.

And then the professor laughed and said that obviously, this doesn't apply to abandoned/living-on-their-own children.

Yeah, I'm disagreeing with some of this because parents don't influence everything, even if they do have a great deal of 'control' over the child, especially what they learn. Of course, they could simply condition the child not to listen if they hear a certain word about a particular subject...
Old 05-21-2010

That does sound interesting. I know some people (IRL) who have restrictive parents. However, the young people still pick up on 'mature' habits and ideas their parents don't want them to gain.

I partially agree with the lecture: the parents give the child the genes, but their environment does create a large impact on how the child's mind and body develops. Although parents can control a large part of the environment, it's impossible to reasonably filter out everything that is undesired.

An interesting thing is that the brain does not fully develop until the age of about 25. Before the age of 25, people tend to learn a lot better. A lot of the time, parents go 'do what I say, not as I do' and don't give any reasons. Media and technology are allowing people easily to access information they would not have been able to access many years ago. Sexualised media and information is quite... popular, so that could be a potential issue.
Old 05-21-2010

Quote:
An interesting thing is that the brain does not fully develop until the age of about 25. Before the age of 25, people tend to learn a lot better. A lot of the time, parents go 'do what I say, not as I do' and don't give any reasons. Media and technology are allowing people easily to access information they would not have been able to access many years ago. Sexualised media and information is quite... popular, so that could be a potential issue.
Agrees.

Also, although children view the media, and may imitate, they might not fully understand. Does anyone remember watching the scene where Frollo sings "Hellfire" from Disney's Hunchback of Notredame? Well, it had a reference to the villain lust...which kinda went right over MY head as a child.

(This may be comparing apples and oranges here) The example above probably occurs with all the media. A child might not know all the words in a pop or metal song or what they sing about--they just might like the music and are impressioned enough to imitate what they see.

Quote:
Yes, may be angry, yes, some bands may have sexual songs, but at least they are direct and there are few of them. Metal helps people mature, but in a positive way rather than destructive, promoting anti-war and not getting addicted to drugs and so on.
The face paced and loud music will stimulate the brain and heart beat, soft music just the opposite. As people who can understand it, we know nothing might be wrong with singing about peace and love, but now think about it when a child might not understand the lyrics. If they hear screaming or yelling into a microphone--it's possible they might associate it with their own unpleasant memory of being yelled at.

As they come to learn more, the media just has to do with how comfortable a minor might feel about certain aspects, or how we feel about them judging the media for themselves.

Last edited by greymagick711; 05-21-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2010
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

=OK, first of all, mini rant at something poeple keep telling me, which all this rap is evil and metal is good, in words of T4S bullcrap!
=If your going to blame media for this, then blame all of it, I mean have lived in both these "worlds" and despite both "sides" posturing of being better side, both come out just the same, just slightly different ways of living, but fact is you look at some of most influential rock bands, they did far more morally questionable stuff than most influential rap bands, I don't like rap much at all, but fact is this lets bash rap for destroying world is plain self-glamour, yes there is some rap music which makes even my libel self take a step back and think is really acceptable, but no more than when i think of Anxal Rose or Kurc Cobane and their actions, I just think that their more talented musically, but if going to have social morals judgements on them, their actions are more degraded by social levels.

-I think it is simple as this, if you want music to develop your child, then only let them listen to classical, (before their even born in fact)

=Now onto real point (though may stay with rap v metal thing as nice example,) I think Media is easy target, (IE blaming games for murder) and this still comes back to my first point, if the media is giving us all this, its because we want it generally, so just that means you who are against these things are in few, so maybe that means that your stance is not as sound as thought.
=My point is not that majority is right or you are wrong, just that I find when looking at media lot of people mix cause and effect, IE lot of poeple say papers make poeple believe dumb things that ain't true IE that law on slacking children was woefully mistranslated to public, but what actually find is poeple don't actually gain these beliefs from media, they already have them (IE already decided any action on child slacking by government wrong) and so media realises this and plays to it, by telling them what want to hear, and any time do read something don't like, the person merely ignores it.

=I bet the guys who defend metal, really like the sound of Metal and hate sound of Rap, which why defend metal and down rap, but in truth they don't really care about any of that, you just like that kind of music and go same way for those who like Rap and dislike Metal

=As for the Perential thing, that is more truth than you will ever believe, even if you come out completely different to your parents, you will have fundermentially been made by them
-IE a user of here once said she was against Obama like her parents, but not because of them, now I do not know if that is true, but I suspect the reasoning why she agrees with them is the same and that reasoning will have come from them without ether them or her realising it.
-Me, now I look back the reason I came out like I did has at 65% to do with rejecting everything my mother tried to teach me, I didn't realise that at time, but now look back, only thing can be truth

=However that being said, cannot disregard nature completely, as one woman found when se tried to make her son act like stereotyped girl and boy act like stereotyped boy, but found both naturally regressed to other side. (lot more complicated a study than that, but point is there)
Old 05-22-2010
Sex-Administrator

First off to Greymagick, the point which I disagree with your lecturer is that in my experience if your parent is overstrictive the child will begin to rebel behind their back, perhaps as much as if the parents didnt care. And yes, if a parent does not give a reason for the child not to do something then the child is more likely to do it. For example, my mum raised me on honesty, explaining to me why I should or should ot do something. And now because of that I will not lie, as well as keeping me with strong morals because I understood why. This also links into fats later points of child does as parent does.

now on the topic of metal, Magick not all metal is screaming into a mic, even though I agree a fair amount is. If you want gentle play nightwish or something :P

Fat, when you say they should be raised on classical, you remind me of Willian Grimm, one of the most hated people to ever slander the metal community, calling the people who listen to rock and rap Apes and saying that only people who listen to classical are supreme. However I know that you dont mean it like that.

Ironically this is what I say about metal, but first I want to point a couple of things out. First off there is a corralation between the type of music and general intellegence. As Magick said metal stimulates the brain. Yes it could be argued that its because people who are outcasts who may be considered nerds may rebel and listen to it to go against everyone else, but heres an example close to me. I have a friend who is around 12. He was quite literally raised on metal (surprisingly I wasnt, my dad brought me into it after I proclaimed I hated rap music in my 8ths year at school). You know what he is? He is a freaking genius. dispite the 3/4 year difference, I consider him my interlectual equal already. In his school he has seven gifted and talented awards (though this could be due to him going to a bad school, but I think that is him being modest).

And yes, I may defend metal because I like it, but I still believe that there is generally a pattern of intellegence and, linking back to the topic, a development of maturity in the correct way.AAAAAAAAAnd also because we are more united in our ways than urban singers and rappers. Just an example, at download festival there were no fights and no tent burning. Last year at reading, playing indie (I know this is rock but still) there were tent fires. Which seems the most unified community?

Now, I find that yes, alot of the things I like my parents like and I didnt even know. for example, in year 7 or 8 we were looking at the major parties and their.... Ideaoligies? Anyways I liked Conservitive more than the others and returned home to find out my parents did also.

OK I need to go so I annot continue my argument
Old 05-22-2010

Quote:
First off there is a corralation between the type of music and general intellegence.
Though there are some studies that were specifically made to imply that music has effect on intelligence, they should not be taken too seriously. Ex: Mozart raises test scores, Beethoven lowers test scores. That intelligence and maturation being linking to music in general is too singular. The music studies are similar to whole left brain v. right brain studies: yes, some processes are more localized but being logical versus creative doesn't mean one side is more dominant.

Furthermore, people from all music backgrounds may show the most genius or the most puerility. All music genres can be viewed as 'brainwashing.' Whether metal, classical, or pop, preferring one style to another has little do do with intelligence. The results of surveys of music/intel are obscure at best. For example, 'Pop' is commonly defined as 'popular' music from the majority of listeners. Because of the greater number, you'll find more 'intelligent' people by sifting though the majority than looking though the dedicated, but smaller, community of metal-lovers.

There is limited evidence for music helping intelligence. Though I'd be daft not to admit that intelligent people tend to be attracted to a certain type of music. Contrasting your example, my own observation is that their liked music is classical. As for maturing faster...well, what music discusses in general are higher concepts like love and war, or anti-war, or drugs; basically, real world things. Listening to these topics may at first go over a child's head, but eventually the information will bleed in.

However, is intelligence actually linked to maturing? If so, then by all means, let them listen or watch to the uncensored media. That way, they'll get more information and be exposed more, know as much as adults, and be able to make totally rational decisions.

Uh, no. Just because someone knows more doesn't mean that someone is more mature.
Old 05-22-2010
Sex-Administrator

first off, I meant generally, not always. I was kinda rushing because I was going out. And I didnt say intellegence and maturity were the same thing.
Old 05-22-2010

Regarding the music debate, I don't see why or how music will largely influence your level of maturity. However, there's a chance that someone may be inclined to do something negative because they heard it in a song.

But of course, media isn't purely to blame.
Old 05-22-2010

Quote:
However, there's a chance that someone may be inclined to do something negative because they heard it in a song.

Like this guy.
Old 05-27-2010

Quote:
Regarding the music debate, I don't see why or how music will largely influence your level of maturity. However, there's a chance that someone may be inclined to do something negative because they heard it in a song.

But of course, media isn't purely to blame.
This.

Music is shown to influence moods, which in turn reflect one's performance, but not intelligence. Maturity comes mostly with ageing and experience, and continues throughout the lifetime. Like personality, it's dynamic, flexible, and subject to change.

And while the media now-a-days glorifies and romanticizes war, love, gangs, police, sex, and doctors, these things existed long before they were televised. Young people are going to join gangs regardless, try drugs, etc. regardless.

If the media had to do anything with influencing a person to commit some heinous act, there was something wrong with the person to begin with. That is, a person that does not have a totally firm grip on reality.
Old 05-27-2010

Blurb: Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle...the hardest choice known to man...

Quote:
I'm only about 15 years old,

wait, what?
Old 05-27-2010

Something interesting that I've been researching lately is neuroscience (for extra-curricular school stuff). As we all know, people learn quicker when they are younger. There are certain windows of time called 'critical periods' in one's development which they learn certain things quicker.

What I am getting from this is if people aren't taught responsibility at an early enough age, their neural pathways are harder to shift, and as a result they may not be as responsible.

Not sure if that is relevant, though.
Old 05-27-2010
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
This.

Music is shown to influence moods, which in turn reflect one's performance, but not intelligence. Maturity comes mostly with ageing and experience, and continues throughout the lifetime. Like personality, it's dynamic, flexible, and subject to change.

And while the media now-a-days glorifies and romanticizes war, love, gangs, police, sex, and doctors, these things existed long before they were televised. Young people are going to join gangs regardless, try drugs, etc. regardless.

If the media had to do anything with influencing a person to commit some heinous act, there was something wrong with the person to begin with. That is, a person that does not have a totally firm grip on reality.
I was going to comment on this, but no need now, this is basically what i have been trying to say lol,
-Like those kids who blamed the GTA games for their acts of Manslaughter, seriously shouldn't someone question, why 99.9 of gamers ain't murderers?????

=Fact is yer, they glorify all this stuff, but only because we as commsumers tell them to and there are far more profound reasons why we grow up way we do than media

=DD that is something I have found interesting as well and it is one of the reasons why most poeple who have parsents who can speak two languages when their young, can also do so with ease, but what find really interesting is that despite this ability studies have shown trying to use this to teach information at younger age, still doesn't work well, for them to actually learn it, for range of reasons
Old 05-27-2010

Blurb: hi, have a nice day, bie.

Quote:
This.

Wow, this is a pretty good statement. I might want to add that depending on the age of the person, a gardian has control over what media someone sees.
Old 05-28-2010

As far as I can tell, the media does not directly influence bad decision-making. However, it can be a factor. The media can give an audience ideas. Without media, we would not know a lot of things we now consider common knowledge.

The worst I can see media do is give someone who is already mentally unstable or immature an idea of what/how to commit a negative act.

Young people are more susceptible to new ideas and influence. Whilst merely 'giving ideas' seems like a small matter to older people, it can mean a lot to younger people in regards of what actions they perform.
Old 05-29-2010

I think that it's really common nowadays to involve ourselves in whatever media we want and claim that it doesn't affect us.

The more we're involved in something in particular - media, group of friends, etc - the more it shapes us as individuals. Maybe watching one Lady Gaga video won't affect you very much, but if you keep watching Lady Gaga videos then it'll shape at least a minute part of your life.

Point is, media does something. It can be good and it can be bad. And younger people are more susceptible to any kind of influence because the younger you are the more open your mind because you're still developing your world view and your character.
Old 05-29-2010

Blurb: umm......lemme think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSallyBakura View Post
I think that it's really common nowadays to involve ourselves in whatever media we want and claim that it doesn't affect us.

The more we're involved in something in particular - media, group of friends, etc - the more it shapes us as individuals. Maybe watching one Lady Gaga video won't affect you very much, but if you keep watching Lady Gaga videos then it'll shape at least a minute part of your life.

Point is, media does something. It can be good and it can be bad. And younger people are more susceptible to any kind of influence because the younger you are the more open your mind because you're still developing your world view and your character.
this is very very true. i couldn't have written it any better. ^^;
Old 06-16-2010

Blurb: "Fred the Deacon is watching every unholy move you make."

In certain cases, it seems that parents are encouraging it. I went to the mall recently, and I saw these little girls wearing the skankiest outfits I had ever seen. Their parents were right there. Hell, their parents probably bought those outfits. I mean, what kind of a parent lets their little girl wear high heels (plastic, but still), mini skirts, and a tube top?

I agree that children are growing up to fast, but I believe it's mostly due to faulty parenting. There are too many people in my school who involve themselves in sexual relationships. A good portion of them started in middle school. Then again, I live in an area where half these kids probably don't even see their parents more than a few times a year.

Last edited by Chiru; 06-20-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2010

Not sure how true this is, but some parents may want their children to 'grow up faster'. If this is the case, faulty parenting may be the case. You have to admit, though, parenting would be extremely difficult considering the social climate of the world today.
Old 06-17-2010

Blurb: Powered by hate, so keep hating.

Let me see...

Some people just don't know how to raise a kid, it's pretty much the parent's fault on how the kid turns out. That's what i think.
Old 06-20-2010

Wow, reading the title is enough to unnerve me.

However, parents don't have full control over their children. There is peer pressure and the media. I think it's a combination of factors.
Old 06-20-2010

So I watched the video.

Victoria talks like a stereotypical black girl, so you get a clue about the kind of people she hangs around with (not black girls necessarily, but 'ghetto' people in general).

Her mom is in denial and is very non-confrontational and it doesn't really seem like she sticks up for herself. She says, "Get off the bed" but Victoria won't get up, probably because her mom isn't yelling at her face telling her that it's her bed, she bought it, sleeps in it, and she can tell her daughter that she's not allowed to have sex on it. Her mom probably let Victoria get away with a lot of crap as a child and let Victoria boss her around.

There's also no sign of a dad. And that can be a real problem.

Some parents also like to believe that their children are perfect. My parents are teachers and they get parents who literally won't believe that their kid causes trouble in school.

I am in full belief that it's mom's fault that Victoria is like this. No, parents can't control everything that a kid does, but they can do more than this mom did for Victoria.

Also, Victoria most likely doesn't know anything about her fertility cycle, otherwise she wouldn't have needed to have sex 300 times in order to get pregnant. It's possible that she could be sterile or she keeps getting early miscarriages, but how long had she been having sex? A couple of years? That shows that she probably has sex about every 3 days instead of just during her fertile period.
Old 06-26-2010

Blurb: "Super Duper High School Level Bitch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClumsyCake View Post
Let me see...

Some people just don't know how to raise a kid, it's pretty much the parent's fault on how the kid turns out. That's what i think.
That girl sounds like an informercial... TV influence, much? But in all seriousness, I believe that the factors of the child's behaviour in later life is decided by various things.

RELATIVE BEHAVIOUR:
Parents' Personality
Parents Behaviour Towards Children
Number of Parents
Attention towards both good and bad things during early ages.
Punishment/Praise towards bad/good things.
Siblings Behaviour
Siblings Personality (Interests, Hobbies etc)
Friends

GENERAL:
Media
Home
Education

I'm sure there's a bunch of other stuff that I can't be bothered typing. But In all, it mainly depends on their family and friends as well as the media. Plus there's how, when and what the parents teach their children various things about life. Establishing their sense of right and wrong.
I most certainly believe children are growing up too fast. I am also one affected by this. I'm 13 and I hang out with 16/17 year olds. In turn this has affected me that I am beginning to dislike my friends who are in the same age group as me due to their immaturity. Although, in that saying, my friends in my age group take things far too seriously which frustrates me. Whilst other people in my age group don't take things seriously enough. But during my experiences with a once silly, loud and obnoxious girl who drastically failed during classes due to her disobedience and all-round immaturity. I talked to her and found smeone who knew more than she thought. Over time, she became a girl who eagerly studied and focused hard to change her marks. Next thing I know, she's getting a school award along with $5 for excellence in terms of work.

Another example is a girl I met during scouts who constantly mumbled, failed at speech-making, covered her face and shied away during each conversation she had. I noted this to her and, although somewhat hard for her, got her out of her shy habits and encouraged to fight against what other people thought about her and to express her individuality and tell people that she was her own person. Later that week she had a speech assignment and was awarded excellence.

What I'm saying is, some people are lost causes due to how they were raised and influenced by their peers. But some people can be influenced to achieve greater things, focus on higher goals and see past the very things that pushed them into their previous state by simply being influenced in a similar fashion to do so.

Children may be growing up too fast, some are growing up too slowly and some can either sped up or slowed down. It all depends on what is most influential on their lives which is dependent on their interests and peers.
Old 09-23-2010

Blurb: I will crossdress for tequila.

Nothing scares me more than seeing an 8 year old girl with a cellphone.
Im 18 and I dont have one, I will forever live in the 90's.
Old 09-23-2010
Rides Kaiba

Blurb: Duct tape his mouth shut and you can have a nice trophy husb
Send a message via MSN to AllisonWalker

It depends on why they have a cell phone. If the eight year old does sports or other activities outside of home and his or her parents work, it's good to have a cell phone to keep in contact. People make a bigger deal out of it than it really is.