This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2011
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

my tutor who has written 20 books, says keep the adverbs in there for first draft, then remove them, you will find writing lot more natural that way and see what she means for technical writing, because easier to write fluff and then make it better than to write well straight off bat.

However I completely disagree for fictional writing, the adverb is a beautiful thing which can make even most bland writing come alive.

Jotenks I feel your pain, my school just stuck me in the retard class and left me there to rot, until the one English teacher I respect, saved me, she made school test me for dyslexia and then made them put me in her top set. Ironically, the school didn't care enough about me to object and so things got better after that, but sadly, it was too late to save my natural writing and as she was literary teacher, not grammatical teacher, her class was more about theory of writing than how to write. Though least got to learn more about theory.
-I think problem is that most English teachers, know very little about English, I mean most English degree's, do not give tiff about grammatical style o0.

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 04-29-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2011

Blurb: My sexual preference is often.

Interestingly, I just happened to come across something.

If you remember the Virginia Tech Massacre, the perpetrator (Seung-Hui Cho) actually started his undergraduate degree in Business Information Technology. By his senior year, he changed his major to English (Source here) ... and not too soon after, the school shooting happened.

One wonders if the stresses of working towards an English degree caused him to snap. I mean, if that is the case, then he is also the victim! And clearly, the arts are to blame for this tragedy.
Old 05-06-2011

Send a message via AIM to TitanAura

I'm gone for a week and this thread is still not locked? Fantabulous.
Old 05-06-2011
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

Other than the misleading title, what reason is there to lock it?
Old 05-07-2011
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot View Post
Other than the misleading title, what reason is there to lock it?
lol when I first saw the title I was just about ready to lock it until I actually read the first post. Then I breathed a sigh of relief because it was actually/could actually be a serious discussion.

I find it funny that we came upon this subject in the BAR a couple days ago.
Old 07-11-2011
Chumba Wumba

As graduate with the second highest possible honours achievable in the most respected degree open to anyone in the UK, I can safely say the answer to this is NO IT FUCKING IS NOT
Old 07-11-2011

Blurb: My sexual preference is often.

What was the question?
Old 07-11-2011
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMind View Post
What was the question?
and considered one of the sites bright sparks :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot View Post
What I actually want to talk about is far more serious. Its a question that has been on my mind for a while now. That question is:

Do you think a college education is still worth the time and effort it takes to obtain it?
Old 07-11-2011

Send a message via AIM to TitanAura

Might as well mention that I just got my associate's degree in the mail for Computer Graphics Technology. Aside from that, though, I'm freelancing from here on out. I'll still take classes but only for very specific topics (mostly art and film making) I'm absolutely turning down a 4 year bachelor's degree. It is clearly not worth it to be paying for classes with professor's who don't give a shit about their students' success and expect you to learn the material yourself. Independent study is the most effective as we learn by doing after all.
Old 07-12-2011
Chumba Wumba

Not sure, if you are being sarcastic or serious, so I will clarify myself:-

=Having just spent past 3 years working myself to the point of breaking (thank god my sister is training psychologist :P) due to the fact, I didn't just need to learn the content, I need to learn how to write such content (and we all know how great a writer i am Ps if anyone makes comment here, I will butcher you)
-However the effort worked and I came out with good grade, not prize winning or anything, but sort of grade that 10years ago would have got me any job even vaguely related to my field and many which were not.
-There in, is your problem.....10 years ago, you see when got my grade I was actually happy and for first time, I was proud of one of my academic achievements, but in honesty my elation was just relief, because as said eariler in this thread, my grade meant I was jointing 40,000 other graduates fighting for jobs, rather than 60,000 that would be alongside me if got lower grade.

=Yes now, the job market is a more brutal place for young, idealist and enspiring graduates; most are blaming current economic melt downs for this, but we must go further back to really see the problem for what it is. Now I could take this back to the birth of capitalism, but to be honest, even I am not so fastidious as that, so we will look at where the roots of this problem began to really grow into a weed, rather than where seeds of said weed came from.

=The problem occurred, like so many others, during Labours ill-fated drive to make Britain 100% employed; now I suspect you are saying why is such a drive ill-fated, even without going into the sociological problems of such an act, the answer is all to obvious once realise it is there. It is impossible to have 100% of society actually employed and Labour knew this, but luckily for them and unfortunately for us, their voters did not know this and so Labours continuum of paper over fact would once again found a society based on the empirers new cloths.
-To Labour it did not matter if people were employed or not, just so long as they could publish nice shiny graphs which said they were.

=Now to achieve there employed on paper society, Labour did very little to get people employed (in fact practically speaking, employment went down dramatically in many areas, due to their actions, but that is another issue altogether) what they actually did was change the legal definition of employment, something which destroyed the lives of millions, but had no effect on the ones labour should have been targeting and left us with a system, where I had to tell 90% of my clients it better for them to be on benefits, than it is too work, because our system penalises low payed and part time workers.

Now this is for a multitude of reasons, which could fill a book, so I will deal with the effects we relate directly to this issue. You will be happy to know, there are only two, now I have moaned about for years and the other has come to my attention all too brutishly as a post-grad.

1=too many graduates=You are not unemployed if you are in university, so labour (with the aid of all too greedy uni's) conspired to get 50% of our future society a degree <luckily at its zenif, they got only 45% -_->. Now I am not against making it that anyone can go to uni, so long as have the ability for it and actually think degree will aid them, even in more niche degrees like art. The problem is most were at uni for all the wrong reasons and so now have so many graduates that a degree is not something to set you apart from the mass, but required to be in the mass. That is one expensive mass to be in and must be worse in countries like the USA, I only had to pay 1 third of my degree, the students starting this year at English uni's (but not fing scottish, who pay fig all -_-) and in USA uni's, will have to pay full amount unless lucky enough to get sponsorship or scholarship.
=And this Pandora's box cannot be closed, because as the new government discovered, despite the stupidity of over-educating your society, (note education, not knowledge) people now believe uni is a right, not a privilege. Now do not misunderstand me, I am not saying I believe uni should only be for the privileged, but that uni is something you should earn, not something you get by default as right of just being alive, because to do otherwise, devalues the very point of a degree. An example of this is one of my flatmate, do not get me wrong, I like the guy as someone to hang out with, but I found it hard to feel too sorry for him and his 2-2 (C) when for two of the three years of his degree, he had less than 10% attendance rate, because he was at uni for all the wrong reasons and thought, diversed degree, just on the merit of being a student 0o.
-Labour abused the aspirations and dreams of two generations to cynically try and prove otherwise to my ideal, so could claim made true social mobility and get rid of unemployment. On both accounts, Labour did what always did, made self look good on paper, then got out just as the rot started to show and let next leadership take blame for it all. Now do not get me wrong I far from agree with coalitions idea that best way to fix the problem is to make uni for the privileged because too scared to admit the truth to a still delusional society.

2=Now, the second issue is far more subtle, but if anything far more evil and a Labour legacy that I will do my all to oust, once I get into the electoral role. Now, this is something which is becoming bit of issue to the public throughout, but the problem is, those like myself who truly understand this issue, because we are living, are not being listened too, but instead patted on head like children and told to let the grown ups deal with problem, problem is the grown ups are dealing with the problem as they faced it 10-30 years ago, not as it is now, which fundamentally means, they ain't dealing with the problem at all.
-=This problem is unpayed internships. Now to truly explain the full complex nature of this issue would be well another book in itself, but I will give board review of what is facing me. Now in certain industries like politics and Journalism these have always existed, IE you pay your dues as unpayed intern while studying to get foot in door, then see where go. Now under old system, even labours doucdebag idea to make it that internships were form of employment, so no long claim benefits while doing it, would not be maga problem, because most interns were students anyway, however did not foresee was this mixed with the raise of degree mass plus increased influence from American culture would equal a change in way view interns. In those areas, interns were no longer tea boy students for couples weeks, to maybe even few mouths, they were postgrads doing actual jobs which should have been payed. They were given professional contacts with actual defined hours, roles and terms for fix period or put more simply, they were an employee of the company, without pay.
-Now for long time, this problem went unnoticed because well, the areas it had effected were so niche anyway and to be honest, who cares if wannbe be politicians such as myself are getting screwed, you want to be a politician, for you douche anyway, so own fault. However three years ago, something did occur, that labour did foresee, but did not care about, because they did not realise they would still be in power when finally occurred, <smirks at them being the embodiment of victim of own success>, I am of course, referring to that little recession we all suffered.
=Now this is why, I went back 10 years, rather than only 3, (the start of recession,) because though the recession has caused this rot to go turbo and evolve into whole cultural ethos, as said, its start as weed began when labour first moved the goal posts. The recession only shined light on a problem which already existed, by meaning that other industries which before would have seen such actions as behind them, suddenly, decided that good way to cut costs was to follow this tend of sacking low level employee's and then giving their jobs to post-grads who were so destitute and disparate for work, that the offer of pay at later date was enough to get them to agree to this sick trade off.
=However here is the best part; because I was asking myself, what happened to all the postgrad jobs, as they still exist, oh i know they do, because I have applied for them -_-. Well this is the bit which is almost beautiful, it is so sick, the same mid-level employee's who had great idea of culling the low level employees in trade for free labour of grad-mass, were in turn, culled by the high level owners, but instead of being sacked, companies would have 'restructing' which would basically get rid of the unrequired mid level staff and place them in what were previously post-grad jobs. Oh how beautiful, it is almost stunning, in fact it is so beautiful, I would almost turn commie for it -_-.

And want to know the most depraved part, I am about to become of those souless interns, working for free in the job I stole from some poor low-level staffie and as wonderful added side effect of labours making internships, real employee's, I cannot even claim benefits if I do, however I have to do it, otherwise there is no way for me to get what was formally seen as post-grad/entry level job and so forced to try and get a none-degree job, but no one highering none-degree positions wants degree holders, because know I have no interest in their company or job, otherwise wouldn't have got degree in first place
=wank all round huh....-_-

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 07-12-2011 at 04:17 AM.