This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2011
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?
Default Admission

So I get my degree results tonight and not scared to say I am scared to the point of wetting myself

So my admission is that I was so scared last night, I even found myself speaking to god, now I don't say this because think it makes me look good or profound, in fact it makes me disgusting and stand for everything I hate (which only standing for something when it suits you)

So I say this because one: it is interesting what someone will do when scared, but also two, because I think I should admit my failings as a person.

Point of this thread, meh people can critisice me for my own cowardice or make own admissions or lock this thread....whatever most apt, I just wanted to say this, because honestly, this only is the only place I actually normally bother showing my feelings on religion, so felt apt to admit it here

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 07-01-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-01-2011
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

Pretty brave thing to admit. I've personally never been so desperate as to call upon the help of someone I know isn't there, but then again I live a relatively stress free life. I've heard stories of even the most militant atheists asking God for help when something terrible happens to them or someone they love. It doesn't mean you've compromised your beliefs in any way, its just a way of trying to assert power in a situation in which you feel powerless. It's the equivalent of pressing the elevator call button several times to make it come faster, even though you know it doesn't care that you are in a hurry. Don't chastise yourself for wanting to feel in control of a situation that is out of your hands.

Good luck on the results. I'll be praying for you. *wink*
Old 07-01-2011
Boss

[ admission ]
Old 07-01-2011
BANNEDARCHER!

Location: From the United Kingdom I'm looking for him. I'm going to California~
Blurb: Fool!

I would say killshot pretty much said it correctly. Many people call on "God" while still actively not believing in such a being simply as a means to somehow try to grasp and control a situation that is outside their ability to impact.

Anyway, I hope your degree results turn out positive.

Last edited by darkarcher; 07-01-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-01-2011

Location: Well, since I'm always the last one on here, I'd say this is my home. NOW GET THE HELL OUT!!
Blurb: My ego is now a meme.
Send a message via MSN to gwtyler1985 Send a message via Yahoo to gwtyler1985

Ah prayer. The first act of the devout and the last resort of the desperate. Nothing to be ashamed of.

As for everyone who disagrees with that, ask yourselves if you've never prayed in your life. If it comes up no, then remember what you post here if you're ever driven to prayer.

Hope you get good results.
Old 07-01-2011
Boss

can't imagine doing it with any seriousness...

wouldn't know which one to pray to, for a start, seeing as i don't have any roots in one religion or another...
Old 07-01-2011
Chumba Wumba

@ Killshot/Dark=I wouldn't call it brave to be honest, I don't know what made me feel the need to admit it, maybe attonement, maybe ethics which didn't know I had, maybe sense of self-rightousness or just maybe, I like to think I am honest about my failings. lol
=though that actually really makes sense, I mean I don't what made me do it, but I hate feeling powerless, so that would make sense as reason why I did it....PS your prays are noted o0 lol
-Though if get the results I want, then probably never going to be able to criticise god again o0 lol

=Tyler-think about right and sadly, quite obvious which of the two I am o0 (PS however maybe calling it praying is insult to praying)

PS thanks for the wishes of luck, I will need it o0 and thanks to underling/whichever helpful mob edited my bad spelling >>.......I blame dyslexia as it is get out clause for most things anyway lol

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 07-01-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-01-2011

Blurb: My sexual preference is often.

There are no atheists in foxholes (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_a...ts_in_foxholes)

Quote:
The statement "There are no atheists in foxholes" is an aphorism used to argue that in times of extreme stress or fear, such as when participating in warfare, all people will believe in or hope for a higher power.
However, there are examples when God-fearing people actually became atheist when put in a situation of extreme stress so take this with a grain of salt.
Old 07-01-2011
Chumba Wumba

John Rawls is good example of something losing their faith from war,
Old 07-01-2011

Blurb: Anon, do you have a moment to talk about Jesus?

I'm sorry, this is touching and all, but I'm going to hold this above your head every time you bring up religion in a thread ever again as an admission that you're actually a weak person in some cases and need a stress-reliever. In the form of God in this case.
Old 07-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyShadow View Post

I'm sorry, this is touching and all, but I'm going to hold this above your head every time you bring up religion in a thread ever again as an admission that you're actually a weak person in some cases and need a stress-reliever. In the form of God in this case.
Yeah, he really should have thought this one through.

Still, he gets points for being honest. And, I'd still sleep with him. Wait, wut?
Old 07-01-2011

Blurb: You may say I lost everything; but I still had my bedazzler.

I find that interesting fared, most people are like that, I've always lived in a religious household and know that its a common part of life for some people. I think that's why I do the opposite of this. I tell other people to pray for me when I'm worried but I assume its a higher power of whatever sort testing me, and I must thrust my way through it without their help.

That might sound screwy to some but its just the way I go about it.
Old 07-01-2011
Chumba Wumba

@holy I'm terrorified, though do love how you have managed to say every person who ever did anything involving the idea of god, is weak in your omnipotent judgment

@ocean I don't think everyone is like this, just that people can do things like this

=this was begging, not praying, even I am not so ignorant as to call what I did praying

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 07-01-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2011
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMind View Post
There are no atheists in foxholes (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_a...ts_in_foxholes)

However, there are examples when God-fearing people actually became atheist when put in a situation of extreme stress so take this with a grain of salt.
a grain of salt? are you fucking kidding me?

i'll take it for what it is, i.e. bullshit, thank you very much
Old 07-01-2011

Location: Previously Uranus; Relocated to Neptune; Then dragged against my will to Pluto
Blurb: This is pathetic and sardonic. It's sadistic and psychotic..

Just wait till you're lying on your death bed. Or think your life is over.

Death makes the most atheist devout.
Old 07-01-2011

Blurb: You may say I lost everything; but I still had my bedazzler.

Sorry fared, I used the wrong vocabulary. I know you better than that. :-3
Old 07-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underling View Post
a grain of salt? are you fucking kidding me?

i'll take it for what it is, i.e. bullshit, thank you very much
Well, I thought it was interesting conversation fodder.

I don't believe this would happen to me either, but I've never been in a situation of extreme stress. Well, when it happens, I'll let you know.
Old 07-01-2011
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOcean View Post
Sorry fared, I used the wrong vocabulary. I know you better than that. :-3
fair does....I guess I dislike the term praying because that adds presuppositions to my act which do not wish to be added to it, especially as some are better than it deverses, others unfair to it
-IE pray would surmise I had some sort of relationship with god, when if god exists, what I did would more atoned to disgruntled child abusing its parsents for money
-two, it assumes I suddenly believe in god, I did not say any such thing, in fact I copiously kept away from such an issue and did not say this to show I was suddenly a believer or anything, I did this because showing ones own failings is only way to get past them and because as an atheist, I think it is important show both sides can have crisis of faith when faced with adversity. It shows both I am human and my beleif is real.....this is not t make out my act was great defining moment, just that I must stand and be counted for my acts......if I am willing to criticise god, I must see both sides of god...etc <more self-righteous bull...you get picture>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical View Post

this I disagree with, but meh who cares
Old 07-01-2011

God is different to everyone. To atheists, science is God.

More importantly, God is an idea that people use for many purposes. I believe in a God, but I'm not sure which God it is. It's just something I can talk to that doesn't talk back, that helps me put things into perspective when no one wants to listen to my bullshit.

It makes it easier on me believing that someone is hearing me, rather than me simply talking to myself. It keeps me sane.
Old 07-01-2011
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical View Post

Quote:
God is different to everyone. To atheists, science is God.
sweet jesus when did this thread become an episode of clichéd bullshit theists say
Old 07-01-2011

*Watches Underling ignore the main point of my post*

...Uh-huh. Right. Gtfo, troll.
Old 07-01-2011

Location: Well, since I'm always the last one on here, I'd say this is my home. NOW GET THE HELL OUT!!

Oh come off it, holy. Underling is, in his own way, driving other people to prayer. Granted that all of them are praying that he'll be hit by a semi, it's still technically prayer.
Old 07-01-2011
Boss

Quote:
*Watches Underling ignore the main point of my post*

...Uh-huh. Right. Gtfo, troll.
oh, the irony

but if you insist...

Quote:
More importantly, God is an idea that people use for many purposes. I believe in a God, but I'm not sure which God it is. It's just something I can talk to that doesn't talk back, that helps me put things into perspective when no one wants to listen to my bullshit.

It makes it easier on me believing that someone is hearing me, rather than me simply talking to myself. It keeps me sane.
i don't think attempting to telepathically contact the creator of the universe is conducive to good mental health

quite the opposite, in fact

but hey, what do i know... i can stay sane without recourse to the divine

i probably shouldn't judge those who can't
Old 07-01-2011
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtyler1985 View Post
Oh come off it, holy. Underling is, in his own way, driving other people to prayer. Granted that all of them are praying that he'll be hit by a semi, it's still technically prayer.
ruh-roh
Old 07-01-2011

Indeed, you shouldn't judge people who can't. You're a strong, strapping lad. However, I am mentally brittle. Weak. I'm strong enough to admit that I'm nowhere near perfect, and this allows me room to grow.

But you? No, you're perfect. That's why you'll always be the man you are now.
Old 07-01-2011

Quote:
but hey, what do i know... i can stay sane without recourse to the divine
You're not just sane, you're a special super sane that transcends normal sanity. Somebody call Arkham.

...That's not too subtle for you, is it? I could use something more current if you want.
Old 07-01-2011
Boss

Quote:
Indeed, you shouldn't judge people who can't. You're a strong, strapping lad. However, I am mentally brittle. Weak. I'm strong enough to admit that I'm nowhere near perfect, and this allows me room to grow.

But you? No, you're perfect. That's why you'll always be the man you are now.
damn, he's right, it was silly to claim to be perfe- hang on a minute...
Old 07-01-2011

Quote:
damn, he's right, it was silly to claim to be perfe- hang on a minute...
Sorry, I just assumed you thought you were since all you do is constantly act like you're better than everyone else.

My mistake.
Old 07-01-2011
Boss

Quote:
Sorry, I just assumed you thought you were since all you do is constantly act like you're better than everyone else.

My mistake.
first the straw man, now the ad hominem...

OMG OMG OMG... I'M JUST 2 SQUARES FROM WINNING HS'S LOGICAL FALLACY BINGO...
Old 07-01-2011

Underling is such a nice person. I admire you very much, Underling.