This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007

My all time favourite cult film from japan!

So basically the story is that every year a year 9 class is chosen via imperial lottery to take place in a little game!

The game kill of all your classmates in three days otherwise you all die.

so anyone else love this movie?
Old 07-18-2007

Great movie, but I hear an americanised verison is on the way, won't be as good.
Old 07-18-2007

well look at what they did to the ring? they ruined it in translations another good example is the grudge
Old 07-18-2007

It's what got me into East Asian Cinema, and is definetly one of my all time faves. The Novel and manga (hopefully they'll make an anime series in the future) are ace too. Sequel wasn't as good, but hey it had it's good parts.

It's a great film that explores the true nature of mankind, and as the blurb on the novel reads 'A Lord of the Flies for the 21st century'. A perfect summary.
Old 07-18-2007

I loved Battle Royale, but I couldn't understand Battle Royale 2 xD
Old 07-18-2007

I liked this film, although sadly lots of it was just funny instead of scary. Does that make me a bad person?
Probably the subtitles that made it so, however...
Old 07-18-2007

Wonderful movie. It was funny, scary, disturbing, and action packed at the same time.
I like how the students were told that the collars they were wearing would explode by a perky, cute Japanese woman. Hilarious scene, but very unnerving at the same time.
Old 07-18-2007

actually i myslef laughed through the bulk of the film, so does anyone have a favorite character?
Old 07-18-2007

I liked this movie. I saw it late at night at my cousin's house and i've been trying to find it ever since to watch it again.
Old 07-18-2007

I really liked this movie, I thought it had a very "interesting" story
Old 07-19-2007

the crazy guy who always entered was quite cool
apparently there's an extra scene on the DVD for the introduction by the cute girl for if it is someone's birthday during the game XD
Old 07-19-2007

The American version will disgrace...it will lose all the morality of the series and instead rely on the action...yet I'll see it anyway.
Old 07-19-2007

I love this movie... that and Suicide Club are my favorite cult japanese movies
Old 07-20-2007

Yeah i think the movie was fantastic too (only the first 1) but hardcore fans need to read the manga, it has a different ending that is closer to the book, and pretty much every single character gets a back story that the film just didn't have time for, it literally makes you fell sorry (yes! even the psychos!) for EVERY one of the kids. (except for Nida, that wannabe rapist deserved to die)
Old 07-21-2007

But he received a fate far worse than death...before dying: Crushed balls, or at least one of them, the effect is really the same. Gotta love how in the American rewrite he shouted, whilst trying to jump on Chigusa: "PANTY RAID!" Class.

Although that was great, overall I hate the American adaptatiom by Keith Griffin for the manga. It changes a lot of details in the plot that were supposed to suit a 'Western Audience'. The main thing that bugs me though is how the game was changed into a reality TV show, this creates a number of plot holes, for example how could Mimura and Yutaka have built a bomb if they were being surveyed the whole time?!
Old 07-23-2007

hmm... good point, but its not like there were cameras everywhere. Otherwise how did they manage to fake Shuuya's and Noriko's deaths at the end?
Old 07-23-2007

Eh, I didn't invest much time in the movie. I watched a bit of it, but then I just lost interest. Then I read the manga, which was like a whole lot better then the movie in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2007

I liked the film, not as much as my other friend who went out and brought the manga and the second film and talked about it for about a week.
Old 07-23-2007

That's another example of the several plotholes created by Keith Griffins adaptation. There WERE cameras everywhere, so there is no good explanation as to how they escaped.