This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2011

Blurb: No. 8014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
and I've never known one who liked it
My little sister likes MLP! (Granted, I had to introduce it to her )
Old 08-17-2011

Blurb: See you in your dreams!

creepy
Old 08-17-2011

here's a question I've never gotten an answer for, why is this show considered so good?
I constantly am told to watch it but never told why, beyond "its great" (so was Citizen Kane but fuck if I have seen that movie)
Old 08-17-2011
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
here's a question I've never gotten an answer for, why is this show considered so good?
I constantly am told to watch it but never told why, beyond "its great" (so was Citizen Kane but fuck if I have seen that movie)
1. The writing, especially for a kid's show, is actually pretty good. Not academy-award winning, but it's fun and not cheesy.
2. Good voice acting
3. Good animation
4. Nostalgic. Reminds us how 90's cartoons were so good.

I believe you have been told these things, or perhaps they were posted but you didn't happen to read them. Also, if you don't care to watch it, why do you even care to post about how your distaste for it in this thread, in the BAR, etc? You can just ignore it, you know.
Old 08-17-2011
TOOMAH

Blurb: Every Villain Is Lemons

The show is fucking amazing!
Old 08-17-2011

Blurb: Eternally balancing well mannered and insane natures
Send a message via MSN to ggbhtg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSallyBakura View Post
1. The writing, especially for a kid's show, is actually pretty good. Not academy-award winning, but it's fun and not cheesy.
2. Good voice acting
3. Good animation

I believe you have been told these things, or perhaps they were posted but you didn't happen to read them. Also, if you don't care to watch it, why do you even care to post about how your distaste for it in this thread, in the BAR, etc? You can just ignore it, you know.
This. Though some of the people who are really really into it are all like "Oh my god it's the best show EVAR you HAVE to see it!" (although, that's REALLY not a new concept for media), I'd say...hmm...well, since it doesn't seem like you're gonna ignore it (though that is a very good route you can take), just check out the first ep for curiosity's sake because we can go on and on about this show, but you still won't believe us (most if not all of us were like that at first too). Sorry, but it's one of those "watch, then decide" shows.

Last edited by ggbhtg; 08-17-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-17-2011
Possible Homersexual

Blurb: The MistakenLoner
Send a message via AIM to ThePRPD Send a message via MSN to ThePRPD

I remember when I first noticed the show. My sister was watching this and at first I shrugged it off as another "girly" My Little Pony cartoon. As she would continue watch it over the course of the next few days/weeks it would start catching my eyes. First it had been the character designs that piqued my interest. Then from there I would watch it briefly when she would and I noticed that it probably wasn't like the other incarnations. Eventually I saw a random episode and liked it. I saw more episodes and got into and got into really enjoying the show and now I love it.
Old 08-18-2011

Quote:
2. Good voice acting
3. Good animation

I didn't really watch many cartoons in the 90s, to be honest
Old 08-18-2011
Not a Moderator

Blurb: KRILLIN!
Send a message via MSN to eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePRPD View Post
You have no humanity.
I would like a honest discussion with you, no trolling, no jokes, no bullshit.

You like My Little Pony. That's fine. But why do you treat it as the best show on the planet? No show is like that. Not one. People can think highly of any show they damn well want, and people are also allowed to NOT want to watch a show. What is your deal, in asking--no, just about demanding everyone to watch it?

I apologize if I sound trollish, annoying, or whatever, but, I need to know why you think MLP:FIM is the greatest show ever.
Old 08-18-2011

Honestly, I don't think that anyone in here literally thinks that it's the "greatest show ever." It's just a current favorite for many. There's a difference. :P

But that's just me talking. I just think it's a little ridiculous that there's so much tension between the lovers and the I-don't-want-to-triers.
Old 08-18-2011
TOOMAH

This. ^
Old 08-18-2011

Blurb: Friendship is MAGIC.

I love it. :) My favourite is Twilight Sparkle.
Old 08-18-2011
Possible Homersexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternity View Post
I would like a honest discussion with you, no trolling, no jokes, no bullshit.

You like My Little Pony. That's fine. But why do you treat it as the best show on the planet? No show is like that. Not one. People can think highly of any show they damn well want, and people are also allowed to NOT want to watch a show. What is your deal, in asking--no, just about demanding everyone to watch it?

Now, for the record, when I said "You have no humanity!" I was simply kidding around. I wasn't serious. I was hoping the text being bold, underlined, and italic would have given that away.

I have never serious claimed it is the best show ever nor can I recall a time I have demanded someone to watch it. I've suggested and recommended it to others, yes, but I haven't demanded it.

It isn't my #1 favorite show ever, I'm not even sure what my #1 absolute favorite is -- to close to call for the ones I love, but it is one of my favorite shows in general and it certainly ranks high.

I don't get riled up when people say they don't like it or don't care for it but if someone makes a ridiculous comment or claim against it I'll say something, like I'd do with anything I favor or maybe interested in at the moment.

Now as for why it's one of my favorites in general:

(Now, I think I've touched upon this in a previous and recent post but I can't recall thanks to crappy memory and I don't feel like looking back)
I love the character designs and animation. It's what first grabbed my attention. I can't put into words why I love it so much but I do. It certainly isn't a style I've seen prior but I wouldn't use that as a reason why since there are other original styles that I can't say I'm crazy about.

I love the music, the musical numbers (especially So Many Wonders, Art of the Dress, and At The Gala), the voice acting and how well the voice actresses fit the personalities of The Mane Six. I suppose another reason I really, really, really like this show is due to how different and enjoyable this incarnation is compared to the previous shows.

The fandom also keeps me interested in the show with all the various remixes of the show's songs, fan art, and fan comics.

I absolutely love it. I think there may be other reasons, probably are, but I can't recall 'em but what I've posted now is the gist of it.

Quote:
But why do you treat it as the best show on the planet? No show is like that. Not one.
Whatever is the best show on the planet is in the eye of the beholder. Even if someone serious considers something like a MTV Reality TV show "the best show ever".
There can't be a "THE BEST SHOW EVER!". A very large majority on the planet would have to agree. However, it goes without saying there are many fantastic shows deserving being called "great" with critical acclaim. To me, Friendship is Magic is a show that falls under such a title. If you disagree, well alright.
Quote:
I just think it's a little ridiculous that there's so much tension between the lovers and the I-don't-want-to-triers.
There's more tension between the lovers and those who assume it's "girly, girly" like the previous shows and those who ridiculously bash it.

Last edited by ThePRPD; 08-18-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePRPD
There's more tension between the lovers and those who assume it's "girly, girly" like the previous shows and those who ridiculously bash it.
Those other two types fall under the "I-don't-want-to-triers." You know, the types who are truly unwilling to give it a chance and make a huge deal about it.

It's OK to not try it. But there's no reason to publicly proclaim among MLP fans how you definitely will never try it, and then continue to tell people how you will never try it by saying so in the BAR or by posting in this thread all the reasons why you will never try it. lol we get it, it's not the end of the world.
Old 08-19-2011
TOOMAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggy View Post
I love it. :) My favourite is Twilight Sparkle.
Fluuttershy is better.
Old 08-19-2011

Quote:
Those other two types fall under the "I-don't-want-to-triers." You know, the types who are truly unwilling to give it a chance and make a huge deal about it.

It's OK to not try it. But there's no reason to publicly proclaim among MLP fans how you definitely will never try it, and then continue to tell people how you will never try it by saying so in the BAR or by posting in this thread all the reasons why you will never try it. lol we get it, it's not the end of the world.
I blame how the media has portrayed all this as such a big deal, like it's some kind of lifestyle choice.

Now, about how I found out about this show (I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I'm posting it here for completeness/relevancy): Kroze was telling me about it back in December in the IRC and I didn't pay much attention to it past watching up to the theme song then going to another show (just to annoy him, really :P). Then I started going back there again February and there were more people into it. Even a few I knew were using the names of the show's characters as nicknames.

For a while they kept bugging me to watch it. I wanted to see it for myself from the start but I didn't feel like picking up a new series yet. I finally "gave in" at the end of February aaaand wound up watching all 16 eps that were out then within a week and every episode afterwards upon its release. Thing is, I understood why it was so well-liked by the 1st episode, but I didn't get into it until the 9th. I only watched so much at first (and before liking it) because I wanted to understand the jokes in the fan comics I had seen. Like Spoofs, I showed it to my little sis and started watching with her.

That little story was going to be in a separate post, but I think I can still make it fit with this convo.

After I started watching the show, a few days later the IRC stopped talking about it as much, if not stopped completely. What I'm getting at is that this can be likened to a peer pressure situation only it's not towards something particularly negative. Disregarding whether you'd like it in the end, don't watch it or even pay attention to it unless the show interests you on its own, not because of its popularity status. You should just know that whatever you do won't change how we feel about the show. If there's any such conversation happening with one side going "You HAVE to watch it" or "You SHOULDN'T watch it", that side's wrong.

TL;DR version: This is how a convo about the show should go:

> "Is that MLP you're watching?"
> "Yeah, it's a pretty good show."
>"Oh, ok. Maybe I'll check it out." (This isn't to say that they will or not)

THAT'S IT, same as with any other show.

Last edited by ggbhtg; 08-19-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2011
Possible Homersexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKaworu View Post
Fluuttershy is better.
I love Fluttershy.
Pinkie Pie used to be the Pony I liked the least. She's gone up a bit but I still don't like her very much. Although I did love her in episode 25.

I didn't like Spike at all in the beginning but he grew on me.
Old 08-19-2011
Not a Moderator

Blurb: KRILLIN!
Send a message via MSN to eternity

I see. Thank you for replying.
Old 08-19-2011
Possible Homersexual

You're welcome.
Old 08-19-2011

Sooooo...not to sound hipster-ish...

...*cough* but if "anypony" happened to be my favorite (though usually I think all the characters are so good that there's no way to choose), it'd be Applejack for her traits of independence and reliability, which I wish I were more like.
Old 08-20-2011

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy are the best. I'd say that Twilight Sparkle is the pony I am most like, though.

But I do like all the characters.
Old 08-21-2011
winrar

Blurb: Certified Optimist.

Apple The Jack and Rainbow the Dash
Old 08-21-2011

Blurb: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot.

Fluttershy is awesome!
Old 08-21-2011

Blurb: I came here to laugh at you.

Braeburn is best pony.
Old 08-21-2011

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapploosa!

Haven't heard that in a while.
Old 08-23-2011
Possible Homersexual