This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series > Yu-Gi-Oh: Abridged Series Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2013

Blurb: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot.

Go back and read what I said. I NEVER said character development is filler. I said if you remove all the character development and the duel itself you're left with plot-related filler.

By the way I've watched enough episodes to get the gist of canon Kaiba's character. So what if he was raised that way? He's still an stuck up jerk and all he cares about is beating Yugi so that he can prove that he's the best duelist on the entire fucking planet. Kite actually has a very good reason to want to beat Yuma. He wants to save his little brother, Hart. You barely get to see Kaiba's relationship with Mokuba because he's so obsessed with defeating Yugi. Duelist Kingdom goes into that, yes, but afterwards it's not really explored any further except in the Virtual World arc and even then it wasn't much more than in Duelist Kingdom because he was wanting to save Mokuba both times. The flashbacks don't really count in my mind since they just give backstory and nothing more.

In the Legendary Heroes arc his first words to Mokuba after he was told that Yugi helped him were, and I'm paraphrasing here, "How dare you bring that loser here!" He didn't even bother to thank his little brother for rescuing him.

I brought up that point about LK getting backlash because he's gotten backlash before because he didn't do something a certain way. Besides that duel in the original episode you're talking about didn't last very long anyway.

You're starting to sound like a "my way or the highway" fangirl who won't accept opinions that are different to yours. And yet you say we have to accept your opinion? You're a fucking hypocrite.

I never said you can't have your opinion or don't have the right to criticize. You do. You have a valid point about the alcoholic father bit. But you're going on and on about how Battle for the Bronze is the best show in the entire series because of fucking character development for YOUR favorite characters.

So what if LK likes Marik better than Joey or Kaiba? That's his OPINION. Oh wait. He's not supposed to have one according to you. He has to cater to YOUR needs because this is YOUR favorite episode in the series and they are YOUR favorite characters.

He's not obligated to cater to the fans' needs. Hell he doesn't have to do the series at all. But he does because he wants to. Shouldn't he be allowed to do things how he wants it?

Last edited by Ebilkittyprincess28; 09-05-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonWalker View Post
Character development is the story so anything going along with that isn't "filler", it's setting the stage for the story and moving the plot forward (which in this case was the duel). Even LK himself said the problem with original Yugioh was there was so many good characters who got pushed back because card games was selling and getting all the attention, but not all duels in the show are pointless and stupid.

YGOTAS was supposed to make fun of those moments where it was and parody the actual show. Now it's turning into some weird form of fanfiction, and like I said before, LK does not in any way shape or form own YUGIOH! therefore anyone can voice their opinion on disliking his fanworks if they find it offensive, disagreeable etc etc because he is just a fan himself and that's all.

In order for Ygotas to be good again, it needs to focus more on actually abridging the original in a respectful manner to the original content and creator and less time just pandering to itself.

I know I said this before but the Noa arc was actually really well done because the events tied along with canon events and actually made fun of the things that had happened during that time instead of making up random shit that didn't make sense for anyone who knew real YGO. I mean if you're just going to voice over cartoons and give them 180 personalities, why even keep YGO attached to the name? At that point, you should just write original fiction and leave YGO out of it.
I agree with those parts.
Old 09-05-2013

could we please calm down, guys?
this is a "discussion" that means we discuss things. when everyone only said what he liked and didn't like and then is silent or brings no arguments other than "this is my opinion", then it isn't a discussion.
I don't blame anyone for enumerating arguments for liking or disliking something. the ones I blame are "LK did it like this so either like it or shut up". THAT is not letting someone have an own opinion.

Last edited by Kronus; 09-05-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2013
Rides Kaiba

Blurb: Duct tape his mouth shut and you can have a nice trophy husb
Send a message via MSN to AllisonWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronus View Post
this is a "discussion" that means we discuss things. when everyone only said what he liked and didn't like and then is silent or brings no arguments other than "this is my opinion", then it isn't a discussion.
I don't blame anyone for enumerating arguments for liking or disliking something. the ones I blame are "LK did it like this so either like it or shut up". THAT is not letting someone have an own opinion.
She's a ygotas puppet, there's no point in responding to her because she's going to sing praises no matter how good or bad the episode actually was.

Also Gcar, manga canon isn't anime canon and in ygotas canon, it was never once mentioned until out of the blue that Joey had a drunk father and the way it was done was not funny at all. Even you said that much yourself.

LK doesn't own Yugioh or even ygotas because it is a FAN MADE WORK. Anyone can critique it as much as they want since its basically just glorified fanfiction and if he wasn't looking for comments on episodes, LK and co wouldn't have created a forum to do it in.

Also I never said that episode was the best ever. But it was an important moment in canon and could have/should have been done far more tactfully than it was and it irks me to no end that LK shoved more Marik jokes in and completely disregarded the Jou/Kai banter that could have been so fucking hilarious to work with to just have Kaiba go on an out-of-character hate tirade for no damn reason whatsoever. Also considering how many people LOVE those characters, it was a stupid thing to do.

Now move on already.

Last edited by AllisonWalker; 09-05-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2013
Closet Trekkie

Blurb: I am Lorde, Ya Ya Ya
Send a message via MSN to GcarOatmealRaisinCookies

When I was into the original series, the characters I dug the most, and I flip-flopped all the time because they were both good characters and they played off as perfect rivals, those characters were Kaiba and Yami.
If you take a step back from the show and critique the characters based on personality and actions alone, you get Kaiba as an asshole, and the whole reason he wants to beat Yugi is so he can continue being an asshole.
So Kaiba being harsh with Joey and making fun of his alcoholic father, WHICH IS CANON BECAUSE IT WAS MENTIONED IN THE MANGA, doesn't surprise me at all.
Granted Kaiba might not have been around when it was said in the manga, but how hard is it to get information on a person when all you have to do is send people to check out a few bars to find out if anyone has a tab. Kaiba's an asshole, and just asshole enough to gather that information to be used whenever he wants.
Old 09-05-2013
Rides Kaiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcar90 View Post
When I was into the original series, the characters I dug the most, and I flip-flopped all the time because they were both good characters and they played off as perfect rivals, those characters were Kaiba and Yami.
If you take a step back from the show and critique the characters based on personality and actions alone, you get Kaiba as an asshole, and the whole reason he wants to beat Yugi is so he can continue being an asshole.
So Kaiba being harsh with Joey and making fun of his alcoholic father, WHICH IS CANON BECAUSE IT WAS MENTIONED IN THE MANGA, doesn't surprise me at all.
Granted Kaiba might not have been around when it was said in the manga, but how hard is it to get information on a person when all you have to do is send people to check out a few bars to find out if anyone has a tab. Kaiba's an asshole, and just asshole enough to gather that information to be used whenever he wants.
LOLWHAT did we watch the same show at all?

Kaiba wanted to beat Atem because of his issues with Gozaburo. He had to win because "life is a game and if you lose, you shouldn't play it". It had nothing to do with him wanting to be an asshole but about his mental issues with self-worth and winning at all costs. Even Takahashi has said this in interviews. You are so way off course it's not even funny.

Also, in ygotas, Joey never told Kaiba about his father. Suspension of disbelief is shattered if Kaiba just throws some information he doesn't know about (in ygotas canon since manga doesn't apply to this at alllllll, LK isn't abridging the manga lol) out of left field.
Old 09-05-2013
Closet Trekkie

Actually, my point was, we were arguing and getting all worked up over an episode of TAS that was poking fun at FILLER.
This episode wasn't that funny, and I'd like to fall back on my initial statement.

Episode 60 of TAS didn't make me laugh.
The original episode it is making fun of is nothing more than warmed over Filler-crap.
I'm not giving up on the abridged series, I'm sure the next one will be better.
Old 09-05-2013
Rides Kaiba

How the hell was three episodes of Kaiba vs Jonouchi, who have the second biggest rivalry after Kaiba/Yugi/Atem, filler? Again, you are completely missing the point of everything since Jonouchi and Kaiba are, oh I don't know, the most important characters in terms of relevance to the plot after Yugi himself...
Old 09-05-2013

I had no problem with the drunk father. Kaiba maybe wasn't like Koiba (the abridged version of Kaiba), but still, Kaiba wasn't really the nicest guy in the world and he also was rude to joey before. In this case, the thing with the drunk father was just another way of showing a part of Kaiba's personality, which he also showed during the original.
there was a lot of stuff not done well with the duel between them, but that Kaiba once again shows that he isn't nice wasn't one of those problems.
think of the drunk father thing as a metaphor for Kaiba's personality (just because he had a bad childhood and many people would have become like him, he still isn't nice).

that there are more Marik jokes than KaibaJoey jokes is neither a surprise nor a problem, after all Marik his his favourite character. the problem is that there were no KaibaJoey jokes at all.
Old 09-05-2013

Quote:
I'm actually neutral about the episode in general. I didn't like or dislike it. When criticism turns into outright hating on LK and saying that the series sucks because he didn't do things a certain way, that's where it goes to far, in my mind. I mentioned earlier that he's been called a sellout because he does charity videos and people complain that he's going to cons and doing other things when he should be working on the series. I know this because I've read some rather scathing comments on his videos.

Half of the people that say those things are probably trolls but I bet there are genuine fans complaining about him doing other things besides working on the series.

Like I said before though he could have just as easily skipped over Battle for the Bronze and would still have gotten yelled at.
Old 09-05-2013
Rides Kaiba

Yeah, that was a major problem.

Still, I didn't think that Joey's dad comment had anything to do with Kaiba's personality. Kaiba was an asshole in canon, sure, but at least in the anime after the first episode, he wasn't downright cruel to others. That shit he flung at Joey towards the end of the episode went completely overboard and Kaiba at least in anime canon never made fun of Jonouchi because of his family situation or lack of wealth but because he wasn't an honorable duelist for using luck to win duels.

So at least for me, being a huge Kaiba fan, his characterization here, even within the ygotas realm, appeared way off. And if Joey had laughed it off, I wouldn't have cared as much, but the fact that Joey himself looked shocked and hurt (much like in the real show when Kaiba said they weren't friends in a much more tactful manner) just made it even worse. It would have been done better, and much funnier, if LK gave it more thought.

The Marik jokes were kind of hit and miss. The tit crap was unnecessary and I guess I'm already used to Tea being treated like garbage by everyone in the show, but this time it just went too far and it seemed like LK was trying too hard with the jokes.

Also, I don't hate LK. I made that clear since the very beginning. I'm going off on this episode because I KNOW he can do better.
Old 09-05-2013

I didn't read the Manga yet, so I don't know, but I guess this duel didn't happen in the Manga and therefore it is called filler.
as far as I know, the whole orichalcos this also wasn't part of the manga. so it kinda is filler. still Atemu (I call him atemu instead of atem, because his egyptian name was written with the bird that is pronounced "U" at the end) playing the seal of orichalcos was an important part of his personality. I would call this a filler episode, but an important filler episode.
Old 09-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebilkittyprincess28 View Post
I'm actually neutral about the episode in general. I didn't like or dislike it. When criticism turns into outright hating on LK and saying that the series sucks because he didn't do things a certain way, that's where it goes to far, in my mind. I mentioned earlier that he's been called a sellout because he does charity videos and people complain that he's going to cons and doing other things when he should be working on the series. I know this because I've read some rather scathing comments on his videos.

Half of the people that say those things are probably trolls but I bet there are genuine fans complaining about him doing other things besides working on the series.

Like I said before though he could have just as easily skipped over Battle for the Bronze and would still have gotten yelled at.
yes, when people do that, they are going to far. but none of us is doing that.
Old 09-05-2013
Rides Kaiba

Quote:
I didn't read the Manga yet, so I don't know, but I guess this duel didn't happen in the Manga and therefore it is called filler.
as far as I know, the whole orichalcos this also wasn't part of the manga. so it kinda is filler. still Atemu (I call him atemu instead of atem, because his egyptian name was written with the bird that is pronounced "U" at the end) playing the seal of orichalcos was an important part of his personality. I would call this a filler episode, but an important filler episode.
Within the realm of the anime canon universe, it's not filler. Their rivalry lead up to this point since the beginning. You can't even compare the manga to the anime because the directions were completely different while making them and Takahashi rushed through writing so much that he even admitted to leaving a whole lot out that he wanted to put in.

This was probably one of those things, since the anime took the time to draw it out three episodes long and their relationship with one another afterwards is changed (Kaiba cares about the gang, even Jonouchi, but is tsundere about it).
Old 09-05-2013
Closet Trekkie

Because it never happened in the Manga.

http://voices.yahoo.com/why-anime-sh...es-413416.html

Quote:
If you have ever read a manga title before watching the anime version, then you have probably noticed that the anime adaptation was somehow altered or changed from the original manga story. Why? Even though the anime alterations can be drastic, the reason for such changes is really quite simple.
The anime adaptations for many manga titles undergo changes in order to not exceed and ruin the original story in the manga. Because of this, many anime shows put in episodes that will not change or have little effect on the original manga story. The name "fillers" is often given to such episodes, and are usually easily spotted by dedicated fans. Many filler episodes are basically the same as other anime episodes except for the fact that the filler arcs do not follow the manga's original storyline and are usually new and made up stories. Some shows, however, have used the original storyline and have mixed in new material in order to not go ahead of the storyline of the manga.
The duel between Joey/Kaiba at the end of the Battle City Finals never happened in the Manga. Only in the Anime, which is what YGOTAS is making fun of. All the character growth and tie-ups in this little three-episode sub-plot, are nothing but filler episodes leading up to the main event the Marik/Yami-Yugi duel. Re-read the YGO duelist Graphic novels Numbers 23 and 24. Yami-Yugi/Kaiba's duel ends on Duel 204 there are some minor events leading up to the Marik/Yami-Yugi duel which starts on Duel 206, none of which include a duel between Kaiba/Joey.

Three episodes of Kaiba v Jonouchi might have been interesting/entertaining for a few, but as it didn't happen in the Manga, it's still filler. I didn't care for Battle for the Bronze.

Episode 60 of TAS was poking fun at filler. I didn't laugh at it. And now that I realize that all of these arguments and blow ups are over poking fun at a filler episode, I've got to headdesk over the silliness of it all. It's fucking filler.
Old 09-05-2013

in this episode Kaiba didn't just make a comment on Joey's family for no reason. Joey first said "you are adopted" (okay he said "at least I am not...") and then Kaiba replied to it. and Kaiba saying "I may be adopted, but I am still better than you" After Joey Started The Topic is very much in character, is it not?
if you want to complain, then complain that (from Kaiba's point of view) Joey made fun of Kaiba being adopted, not about Kaia's reply to that.
Old 09-05-2013

Quote:
yes, when people do that, they are going to far. but none of us is doing that.
I'm actually talking about the elitist fans that I could compare to elitist Sonic fans who complained about the changes Sega and Sonic Team made to the Sonic franchise.
Old 09-08-2013

until I read the discussions, I didn't get the joke with Tea's name. I thought he just said T. Gardner all the time and wondered why he only said the first letter of her name.
Old 09-08-2013

Looks like the video got taken down

Silly youtube bots
Old 09-08-2013
Rides Kaiba

Haha how appropriate.
Old 09-08-2013
Closet Trekkie

Folks can still watch it on the main site, if they want.
Old 11-09-2013

Blurb: Binky Boy

lol, Koiba
Old 11-12-2013

Blurb: What?

I love this episode
Old 11-16-2013

Yaaaay, Kaiba is my friend!
Old 11-17-2013

may we discuss again? or will that just be deleted again?

Marik in a female body. that had so much potential. unused potential. the only joke made out of it was that he wasn't wearing a bra, woooow. frthermore he seemed quite happy with his new body in that episode. what about "I am not used to being inside women. can't say I like it very much"? why is he liking it all of a sudden? that opportunity for hundreds hilarious jokes was really wasted.
Old 11-17-2013

I see Marik as having fun more because it annoyed Ishizu and made Yugi uncomfortable. Still, I can see where you're coming from on lost jokes.
Old 11-21-2013

Blurb: WTF is a blurb srsly
Thumbs up Kudos

All in all another fantastic episode. I have no complaints other than the inevitable wait we all must suffer until you can deliver the next round of comic genius that has had me hooked on not just this abridged series but all of your other work as well. Keep it up!
Old 11-21-2013

you had nothing to complain? ô.o

were you even watching it?
Old 11-21-2013
Baby Panda

Blurb: Firmly grasp it in your hand

No Kronus, not everyone has to complain about it. In fact, it makes me sad that you think there were serious enough flaws to "complain" about.
Old 11-21-2013
call me the Mime: silent but deadly

Location: In the deepest, darkest abyss in which your worst fears come to life to feast on your misery
Blurb: my macrophage will go phagocytosis ALL OVER your ass

kronus you should be glad someone actually makes these videos and stop complaining when they don't live up to your expectations. Some people liked the episode, some didn't, leave it at that