This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Books & Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2010

Blurb: People say you can't live without love...i think oxygen is more important!
Send a message via Yahoo to RipMyHeartInTwo

I've never really got into Twilight. I don't hate it.
Not at all but, the fangirls.. ..is there rehab for these girls?!

-----> These girls I mean. "OoOo EDWARD THIS AND EDWARD THAT or OH JAKE IS SO~ HOT! I COULD JUST EAT HIM UP!"
I didn't read any of the books nor I seen any of the moives.

The fans out there: WHY?!?! The books are amazing and the moives are epic! How come you never got into Twilight?! It's Super Special Awesome!! DD;

I think the reason why I've haven't seen the moives or read any of the books was because, I don't know about the girls in your town or city but, girl's here became even scaryer around here.

If anyone said anything bad about Twilight.. man, I don't even want to think about it.
God I hope I didn't piss off anyone. Well if it makes you guys feel better I'll it less watch the first moive of Twilight.

Please don't kill me. :'DD

I'll be your best friend if you don't kill me!
Yeah you should feel special now, BUDDY! xDDD

Have a super special awesome day!
Old 12-27-2010
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

If you read the rest of the thread, you can see all sorts of people on here who don't like Twilight, and the ones who do aren't completely nuts.

Besides, even if there were people on here who would flame you or try to hurt you for not reading Twilight, just think of the following:
1. They would get in trouble from the staff for flaming you, maybe even banned if they were harsh enough
2. It's just the Internet. They can't hurt you. :D (at least not physically lol)
Old 12-27-2010
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

-I actually want to know where these rapid fangirls are, because to be honest the only ones who ever get completely and overly zealous with this series as far as I can see, is those who dislike it

Its like Justin Berber, those who like him, seem fine if have bad taste in my personal opinion, those who dislike him never shut up about it, who cares if not to your taste, just don't listen to him then....same advise for this book, if don't like it, then don't keep reading it...now as it is a book, you can by all means give it constructive criticisms, but I seem to remember poeple saying wanted a bus to run over Mayer in this very thread....seriously...get help <_<...I mean I hate potter series with passion, but doesn't mean I want Rolling to get hit by car or anything o_0

I actually think quite sad that this book which is considered so average is only activate thread in literature section while others are lucky to last page :(

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 12-27-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2010

Never got into it and I don't care for it either. So like The Last Airbender I don't even bother seeing/reading it. Ironically my mom likes both...
Old 12-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
-I actually want to know where these rapid fangirls are, because to be honest the only ones who ever get completely and overly zealous with this series as far as I can see, is those who dislike it
I think the rabid fangirls are high schoolers and middle schoolers... by the time you get to the university level, the people who like Twilight are sane.

Quote:
I actually think quite sad that this book which is considered so average is only activate thread in literature section while others are lucky to last page :(
I would post other literature threads on here, but the chances of other people having read those books is very minimal. Even though Twilight is mediocre literature, it's popular so everyone can have an opinion about it. It doesn't help that there are so many books out there that aren't very commercialized.
Old 12-28-2010
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSallyBakura View Post
I think the rabid fangirls are high schoolers and middle schoolers... by the time you get to the university level, the people who like Twilight are sane.
=well I admit my knowledge of these poeple is low but even here not sure seen these poeple act that badly (ironically the worst fangirlism I have seen is from my ex-flatmates)

Quote:
I would post other literature threads on here, but the chances of other people having read those books is very minimal. Even though Twilight is mediocre literature, it's popular so everyone can have an opinion about it. It doesn't help that there are so many books out there that aren't very commercialized.
Well I know this is cause it just makes me sad that a great writer like Steven Eriksson will go barely noticed because he challenges his readers on a social and literal level, but mediocre writers like Rolling, Mayer and Dan Brown will be best sellers because they pander to simplistic and self-repetitive codes of writing, I mean I accept I am in minority here and what I like in writing is clearly not what people now want from books, but when I read studies which are now saying that writers like Dickens are no longer read by children because find it too difficult, despresses me...I mean this study found that 70% of the subjects couldn't even read Roald Dahl and Bilton books, it is just sad
Old 12-29-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

Blurb: My kitties are doopy and floopy, and I love them!
Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

=/ yeah. a lot of people even think the lord of the rings is too complicated or difficult, which is astounding to me, because it is a fine example of clear, precise writing.
Old 12-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigal View Post
=/ yeah. a lot of people even think the lord of the rings is too complicated or difficult, which is astounding to me, because it is a fine example of clear, precise writing.
I was about to say, I know several people who have read LOTR and were even read to as kids, but my mom didn't read them to me because she thought they were too hard, but then again she's not a fantasy fan so I suppose that didn't help either.

Even if you're not a fan of the Harry Potter series, it is honestly a good series for children and teenagers to get into if you want them to love reading. I mean, for the longest time, I didn't enjoy reading, but that was because I was generally given books that weren't all that interesting to me, plus I had to read them for school, which made it a chore. I read the Harry Potter series in a month when I was 18 and my reading hasn't been the same since - even if I still haven't read very many books as a whole, I love and appreciate books and reading so much more. Books are so interesting to me now and I wish I had the time and energy just to go through all of them lol.

But that's simply my experience.
Old 12-29-2010
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigal View Post
the problem for LoR's is that was written for different age, one where they appreciated description which lasted for more than a word. Though it is not difficult, it is very precise and deep, which people do not want o_0
-I read LoR's when I was 12 and though I found it challenging at time because very long winded, I never regretted it as taught me to appreciate writing

Sally the reason i hate Harry Potter is because it embodies these problems, it doesn't challenge them, this is because its writing is lazy and half-assed at best and it is this sort of easy reading which panders and even condensends the readers which teaches children to accept the easy path rather more challenging one, like I said above, by reading LoR's I learn to appreciate challenging books and the sense of success which comes with reading something beyond my normal level and now anything else ever tried was natural for me, because I set self high mark from start and challenged myself at early age.
People always ask me how I have such a wide and affluent vocabulely, simple I have read lot of complex and challenging books which often sent me running for a dictionary and taught me new words.
=Children should not be encouraged to read something which is easy and pandering, but things which are are complex and challenging and don't hide from use of complex sentences and advanced words books which inspire children and enthral their imagination, opening their minds to new idea's and deep theories. Showing and viewing the world in new lights, writing which pulls on their presuppositions of reality, and crushes their emotions only to then rebuild them anew.
=Books which are centred not around 2D characters who stand as simply cardboard cut outs of good and bad, but instead idolatrous characters who breaches the boundaries of right and wrong and make reader have really review what they believe this character is and their feelings they consequentiality have upon them. This is what book should be and everything I think Harry Potter isn't

however this is not harry potter thread, so leave it there

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 12-29-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2010

As a concluding thought, sometimes children need to be bridged to read from something easier to more difficult. I don't believe that the HP characters are 2D but that's just opinion and interpretation and I won't bother convincing you otherwise.

I don't know very many avid readers who love Harry Potter but detest or don't bother reading more difficult texts. *shrug*
In fact, I don't think I know any at all.

Last edited by MrsSallyBakura; 12-29-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2010
Golden-Circle Lurker

Blurb: My kitties are doopy and floopy, and I love them!
Send a message via AIM to musigal Send a message via MSN to musigal Send a message via Yahoo to musigal

Quote:
the problem for LoR's is that was written for different age, one where they appreciated description which lasted for more than a word. Though it is not difficult, it is very precise and deep, which people do not want o_0
-I read LoR's when I was 12 and though I found it challenging at time because very long winded, I never regretted it as taught me to appreciate writing

by reading LoR's I learn to appreciate challenging books and the sense of success which comes with reading something beyond my normal level and now anything else ever tried was natural for me, because I set self high mark from start and challenged myself at early age.
People always ask me how I have such a wide and affluent vocabulely, simple I have read lot of complex and challenging books which often sent me running for a dictionary and taught me new words.
I read LotR when I was 9, and I also found it challenging at the time, especially regarding vocabulary. But that's what I enjoy so much about good literature: it stimulates language growth and comprehension. I love books that make me use a dictionary. I'm encouraged that someone else out there thinks the same thing. =)
Quote:
=Children should not be encouraged to read something which is easy and pandering, but things which are are complex and challenging and don't hide from use of complex sentences and advanced words books which inspire children and enthral their imagination, opening their minds to new idea's and deep theories. Showing and viewing the world in new lights, writing which pulls on their presuppositions of reality, and crushes their emotions only to then rebuild them anew.
=Books which are centred not around 2D characters who stand as simply cardboard cut outs of good and bad, but instead idolatrous characters who breaches the boundaries of right and wrong and make reader have really review what they believe this character is and their feelings they consequentiality have upon them.
This could very easily be applied to twilight too (since it's its thread).
Old 08-10-2012

Blurb: Vince/Stuart = OTP!

I remember when I was a hardcore Twilight fangirl... I am so glad those days are over. No offence to anyone who actually enjoys the series, but I just cannot comprehend how the relationship between Bella and Edward is true love, or even a healthy relationship at all. He's possessive of her and stops her going to see her friends, and he watches her sleep. Perhaps there are a few occasions where I'd consider that romantic, but when you haven't even spoken to the person yet, it's just plain creepy. That's the main reason why I absolutely detest the Twilight series now.

That being said, I'd enjoy it more if Bella ended up with Jacob. Their relationship felt so much more natural to me, and I was incredibly disappointed when Bella married Edward- before I was utterly disgusted to read about Jacob imprinting on their newborn child Renesmee. I get that the werewolves can't control who they imprint on, but there's something disturbing about it to me, even when they're imprinting on someone their age. So to read about Jacob imprinting on the child of the woman he used to love, when she wasn't even 24 hours out of the womb yet... It disturbs me on so many levels.

Of course, right now I find myself in a very strange situation regarding the Twilight series. I can't stand it, yet for the past couple of days, I've been fascinated by the thought of what would have happened if EJ had been born instead of Renesmee, and whether or not Jacob would have imprinted on the baby if it was a boy. And now I find myself planning a ridiculously complicated fanfic for a series I hate.

Is it possible to hate something but still want to write about it?
Old 09-02-2012

Location: Next to a Blonde and a Brunette, just another morning for Duke Devlin.
Blurb: Super High-School Level Historian

Ok. I actually don't mind the books.
ITS THE FILMS AND THE FANGIRLS THAT RUIN IT.
If it wasn't for the 13 year old girls who never would dream of reading the book who go round raving 'Edward! Jacob!' I bet it wouldn't have such a bad reputation.