This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Books & Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2011

Blurb: Lawlawlawlawlawlawl cubes
Send a message via MSN to AngelDust155 Send a message via Yahoo to AngelDust155
Default Worst book you've read?

So if you had to pick a book series you absolutely hated or just plain didn't like which would you pick?

One of my least favorites would have to be a vampire romance Vampire Kisses (bet many were expecting Twilight when I said vampire romance lol)

Basically it's about this "goth" girl (who is the perfect example of a stereotypical mallgoth who knows nothing of the gothic subculture) named Raven (cliche goth name much?) who basically lives in a town where no one likes and accepts her because she's "goth" (which is rather unrealistic considering I was one of the few people in my town who dressed all dark yet people didn't automatically hate me for it)
So this hot new "goth" guy moves into the creepy old mansion she loved visiting and OMG HE'S A VAMPIRE. Which is like PERFECT for her considering she literally WORSHIPS them.
Romance between them literally starts after one date, hell it starts before they actually meet. He invited her over to his house for dinner because she dressed differently(not even kidding, his excuse was that it meant she was different from everyone else, but she broke into his house like a day or two before his invite and honestly I would have filed a restraining order on her ass, not invite her over for a meal just because she dressed in black)
So far there are 7 going on 8 books and I've so far read them all and to be honest I am NOT impressed at all. It's cliche, predictable, and very stereotypical.

Last edited by AngelDust155; 02-24-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2011
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

^ You know, one of the things that I actually like about Twilight is that it's not "goth" at all. Granted, that in itself has its ups and downs, but if it were goth, it would be a lot more like the series you just mentioned. >>

Seriously though, that book just sounds like it was written by some lame fanfiction writer who happened to have ties with a publishing company.
Old 02-24-2011

Blurb: TheOcean is waving.

The Da Vinci Code
Old 02-24-2011

Blurb: Lawlawlawlawlawlawl cubes
Send a message via MSN to AngelDust155 Send a message via Yahoo to AngelDust155

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSallyBakura View Post
^ You know, one of the things that I actually like about Twilight is that it's not "goth" at all. Granted, that in itself has its ups and downs, but if it were goth, it would be a lot more like the series you just mentioned. >>

Seriously though, that book just sounds like it was written by some lame fanfiction writer who happened to have ties with a publishing company.
Yeah it's rather written like one too. I'm not really an expert when it comes to extremely well written literature but I can tell if one is written like crap.

Yeah in some ways it's like Twilight dressed in black. It doesn't have stalking boyfriends or sparkling vampires but honestly there is nothing creative or original about this series. Honestly how this book got published I do not know. I just hope they don't make it into a movie because there has been talk about it.
Old 02-24-2011
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

the worst book ever read is hard one, I mean to put something as worst is big thing o0, I guess depends on what class of woeful evaluate it:-

-great premise poorly delivered=Peace and War, if the writer of this book had been slightly more talented and engaging, this could have been one of the greatest science fiction books ever written, sadly a glib and stagnant writing style meant it was average read which failed to ever capture the imagination

-Poor writing style and lack of depth=harry potter (don't get me wrong, it not the worst in very aspec because nothing is bad in every aspec, but it is bad in these ways)

-Overally moral book-girl who played with fire=don't get me wrong, I like the series overal but Larsson's constant portrayal of all men as sexually repression demons who come right out of frauds rape your mother, kill your father book, just undermines his honest intent of trying to show sexism is bad and makes more like he is gloating about his own enlightment against sexism to us.....shame because belittles his aims and adds a constantly annoying buzzing sound to what would otherwise be an intriguing read

-Worst overal=Ironically mine is vampire book as well.or books, basically all the Antia books after about book 4, possibly 5......generally I cannot stand modern fiction and the way it makes vampires out to some sort of sexual object.......yer they were based off the effects of TB and most would be your own dead family members, not looking so scary anymore huh??? these are meant to cruel, sadistic hunters of men, these are our last predators, not our sex buddies -_-
-however rant 1 over lol, my mate made me read the first of these, basically so he prove that I was wrong not to like vamp books and out of the horde he forced upon me, these were only ones which really grabbed me enough to make read on...mainly for two reasons:-
1=the writer decided to add in a human character who wasn't the main leather wearing, ass talking, everyone loves me female lead, who was actually worth reading about
2=in the early books, those were undertones of the annoying modern day sex rubbish, the main premise was about a catholic woman who hunted vampires and the vampires were generally quite mean, so it was about as close as I was going to get to a proper vampire story which didn't rip off all worst parts of Dracula
:-I mean the writing was bad, the characters weren't great, apart from edward (no not that edward) and generally the stories were nothing revolutionary, but it was lighthearted, past the time horror which worth reading
-however sadly by the 4-5 book, this was lost and it had become another vamp-pre-teen chick-fick, where had 1 page of action followed by 5-6 pages of sex talk which isn't really sex so much as the repressed desires of the author and the main character had gone from catholic human to mary sue's god complex Dragon Ball z style and well it physically hurt to keep reading it, I gave up on the number 6, my mate told me it got worse and he loved them at the o0

PS can their be a rule that not allowed to put twilight, dont get me wrong, I am not fan of the series, just I cannot be bothered to read through 100 pages of twilight and Beiber suck, just to find the intelligent responses
Old 02-25-2011
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
PS can their be a rule that not allowed to put twilight, dont get me wrong, I am not fan of the series, just I cannot be bothered to read through 100 pages of twilight and Beiber suck, just to find the intelligent responses
LOL I don't think it would be fair to make it an official rule, but I do know what you're saying because, well, there ARE worse books out there. I mean, just because Twilight is overrated and not great literature it doesn't mean that it's the worst book ever. I'm certain that there's worse, it's just that people who aren't well-read haven't bothered to read much outside "mainstream literature."
Old 02-26-2011
Waiting for Tweek to come and play

Blurb: GLF
Cobra4
Send a message via MSN to l3o2828

Twilight AND Lovely Bones.
Old 02-27-2011

Blurb: This blurb allows me to defy the page's symmetry. Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Invisible Man. Yes, I know it's a great work of literature, but I didn't relate to it at all. Besides the fact that my teacher was having us mark the entire 600+ freaking page-long book every time we saw the words black or white. UUUGGGGHHHHH what a waste of time.
Old 03-30-2011

On the Road by Jack Kerouac (and basically any work of Beat "literature"). Truman Capote said it best: "This isn't writing. It's TYPING."
Old 03-31-2011

Blurb: Screw the rules, I have Kurama!

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I dunno why, I just DON'T like it at ALL.
Old 08-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguiluna View Post
On the Road by Jack Kerouac (and basically any work of Beat "literature"). Truman Capote said it best: "This isn't writing. It's TYPING."
Oh you are a fiend. Typing is underrated.
Old 08-05-2011

Blurb: Friendship is MAGIC.

Goosebumps books in general.

I liked them when I was younger, but now I can't believe that I did. They are so poorly written and cheesy.
Old 08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE View Post
The Da Vinci Code
I thought it was breezy. But the writer cheated me on that trunk bit. Flat out cheated.
Old 08-10-2011
TOOMAH

Blurb: Every Villain Is Lemons

TWILIGHT!
Old 08-10-2011

Blurb: Playing in the snow with the Yugioh gang <3

Agreed with Twilight and The Hobbit XP
Old 08-10-2011

Blurb: Sham! Shamity sham sham!!

I don't read alot, so I will have to say Twilight. Haha ._.
Old 08-10-2011

Blurb: Fear my bitch curl!

Twilight. I read the entire series and was not amused in the slightest by Stephanie Meyer's constant thesaurus-rape.
Old 08-11-2011
TOOMAH

Blurb: Every Villain Is Lemons

Indeed.
Old 08-11-2011

Blurb: nan de hoohaa

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle.

I wanted to stab my eyes out when I read this book for 6th grade English. The only passenger that is a young lady on a boat filled with sailors... yeeeeeeeeeep. *blocked out a lot of memories regarding it*
Old 08-13-2011

The White Giraffe, but it is a children's book.

The Series of Unfortunate Events I am aware this is a series, but, it is so dull.
Old 08-13-2011

Blurb: Oh Kaiba, ya dragon is so big! I'm a dog! Woof woof.

Let's Go Play at the Adams' by Mendal W. Johnson. I don't remember if it's just bad or I didn't like it. Gotta read it again some time.
Old 08-14-2011

Blurb: CARD GAMES ON MOTORCYCLES!

Twilight. I never read the entire series, but I do remember donating the book to my local library. I just didn't like that book at all. :(

Last edited by WolfSpirit456; 08-14-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-15-2011

It’s important to note that Twilight is a book, not literature, and tends to break down outside the borders of its target audience.

Vegetarians hate cheese-burgers.
Old 08-16-2011

I am yet to read this book, so I'm not going to judge it by what I've heard.
Old 08-16-2011

Blurb: Friendship is MAGIC.

I have read many books worse than Twilight, but it's still pretty bad. I don't like the messages it sends like 'if your boyfriend dumps you, try and get yourself killed' and other things.
Old 08-20-2011

Blurb: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. So is a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSpirit456 View Post
Twilight. I never read the entire series, but I do remember donating the book to my local library. I just didn't like that book at all. :(
I read the entire first book and like five chapters of the second and then I saw the second movie which ruined the series for me. Plus the series really didn't appeal to me in the first place. I just read it 'cuz a friend was pestering me to no end about it and I just caved

I had the first four books and donated them all to the library
Old 08-22-2011

Blurb: Demon Hunting on Motorcycles!!!

The Tortilla Curtain - Truly the worst book I have EVER read. It makes Bridge to Terabithia seem decent.

The writing style is ok, but it seems... I guess I personally just don't find it appealing. I know it's a parody, but I don't like the story at all. And all of the characters make me want to pound my head on the floor, especially the well-off white family.

Even Twilight seems good in comparison. And that's saying something.

Then again, Twilight has many fans. And at least the ones I know aren't stuck up literary snobs.

It seems like nowadays for something to be considered good lit- it has to be deathly depressing, have annoying characters, and a odd, incomplete, or utterly unsatisfying ending. And it HAS to deal with some major social or political issue.

What about books that deal with philosophical issues? Or books that are primarily meant to be entertaining?

I suppose not, but I've read books that didn't have any big social or political point, but they were amazing books and they made me think of things you don't even hear about every day. Like still having wonder for life's mysteries despite everything we know or claim to know.

Or how absurd certain situations can be. Or, if we have to talk politics (for the record, I love politics, but too much of a good thing)... we talk about race and nationality and sexuality, but what about class? Everyone mentions it but it's commonly not the emphasis of the story, like in The Tortilla Curtain. And I would have loved to see the class issue explored more in there.

Or maybe religion or lack thereof? Or about technology or the environment?

ok, end of rant. Sorry.
Old 08-27-2011

The worst book I have ever read?

It might surprise some of you but its "Mother Courage and Her Children". I absolutely HATE this book. Why?

I had to read it when I was in the 10th and it was a total horror. Instead of watching the play we had to read this thing. It was horribly written, it was boring as hell and to top all of that it was one of the things the most grades were given.

I have nothing against good german literature not only because I'm German. In fact I liked to read stuff like "Isabella von Ägypten" or "Der goldene Topf". It's quite interesting but to read Drama just SUCKS.

There are also good plays like Schillers "Die Räuber". But "Mother Courage"?
EFF this play. Nobody should be forced to read it. NOBODY.

I am usually pretty calm and some people believe I can't snap but "Mother Courage"....

Let's say you can compare it to the hatred and anger the Angry Video Game Nerd feels for "Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde" and the Nostalgia Critic feels for "The bat credit card".
Old 08-29-2011

Blurb: NEEEE-SAAAAAANNNNN

well... I had to read the twilight series for school and hated it.
Bella was so stupid in it by the idea of suside like actions to see edward. I mean then they made Jacob a pedo, but not really.
anyways... I read nothing but the truth and didn't like it. The story was boring even if it was well written and it tells us that lieing can solve a problem even if it gets you to a worse place than you were.
Old 08-30-2011
Grand Excavator of the Poop Mines;
Sovereign of Soiled Nappies
Prognosticator of prognosticators

Blurb: Married father of two, sci-fi author
Muffins Served: 20,403

To be fair, I haven't read a great deal of bad books...

Most of them are considered great pieces of literature. However, I'm going to have to say that my worst read was Great Expectations

This is because it disappointed me so, so much. It was a book with a fantastic beginning, really gripped me. The story, when in full swing was interesting, but not as gripping as the start.

The whole ending section of the book, including the fight scene on the boat absolutely killed it for me. In fact, that fight scene has got to be the most tedious things I have ever had to read... and I studied law at university!