This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2011

Send a message via AIM to TitanAura
Default Worst/Most Disappointing Video Game Endings **SPOILERS DUH**

I'm a completionist so I get a lot of satisfation out of beating a game and seeing the ending, especially when it's attached to a good story but when the ending sucks (even if the story is good) I go ballistic.

Just last night I had one such sucky ending in the form of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Let me make things abundantly clear right now, I hate this game. HATE IT. Why? I can't really answer that. Obviously it was good enough to hold my attention for 30 hours of my life so obviously it's not *bad* per say, but I could go on for HOURS as to why I hate it but I'll try to make my reasoning as blunt as possible: it tries to appease both hardcore fans, such as myself, and appeal to newcomers and fails of both fronts.

The story sucks, the characters are carbon copies of the previous titles' characters, and the game just cuts off right when the plot was starting to get interesting. The first half of the game is spent finding a macguffin that has no bearing on the plot whatsoever and is LITERALLY FORGOTTEN ABOUT IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU FIND THE FUCKING THING. I had thought this would be a 40 hour game but it's only 30 and the first 15 hours are spent looking for it! WHY?! IT DOES NOTHING AND YOU SPENT HALF YOUR TIME LOOKING FOR IT! FUCK! At the very end of the game the origins of the main villains are finally given some vague explanation and motivation and after an epic, if surprisingly easy, battle the game just ends.... it just ends. You don't know who their shadowy mysterious "Empyror" is (I will gouge out the eyes of the writer who thought misspelling Emperor was being clever), you don't even know WHY they were fucking with you throughout the entire game, you just beat them up and unleash the power saving weapon of light and sunshine and happiness to restore peace to the land. So your quest is over because the main characters are fucking idiots and decide that they SHOULDN'T investigate where these villains had come from or what their true intentions were. Finally you're about to arrive home to give the macguffin to your parents for whatever the fuck they were going to do with it in the first place when.... a giant black hole appears in the sky and the screen fades to black with the words "The End...?"

......................................for fuck's sake.
Old 06-02-2011

Blurb: My sexual preference is often.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting the impression that you're disappointed.
Old 06-02-2011

Send a message via MSN to Fenrir502

The only way I could agree with you more Titan is if you also thought vegemite, lettuce and cheese sandwiches were God's gift to lunchtime.

I loved Golden Sun and the Lost Age almost to the point where things got physical (one long story and embarrassing hospital visit later, we decided to stay just friends).

Dark Dawn was almost insulting. ESPECIALLY the ending. I mean, the first games were split too but there are two chief differences! The GBA games were split because they were too large to actually fit on one cartidge, which I don't see as being a problem for Dark Dawn. Second, at least the first Golden Sun ACTUALLY FRICKING ENDED. There was the climactic battle on top of Venus Lighthouse which wrapped up everything nicely, and then the game said "Okay guys, here's what's happening in the next game"

Dark Dawn just said "Hey, remember those black holes we spent all of five minutes talking about at the beginning of the game then forgot about? THEY'RE IMPORTANT AGAIN NOW! SEE YOU NEXT GAME! WE CAN'T WAIT TO TAKE YOUR MONEY"

So yeah, Golden Sun: Mourning Moon (or whatever the ass they end up calling it, that's just my guess) better bloody get on its hands and knees to apologise. And then make good on that apology by being a masterpiece of such magnitude that I will require frequent breaks from playing it to change my underwear.
Old 06-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir502 View Post
The only way I could agree with you more Titan is if you also thought vegemite, lettuce and cheese sandwiches were God's gift to lunchtime.

I loved Golden Sun and the Lost Age almost to the point where things got physical (one long story and embarrassing hospital visit later, we decided to stay just friends).

Dark Dawn was almost insulting. ESPECIALLY the ending. I mean, the first games were split too but there are two chief differences! The GBA games were split because they were too large to actually fit on one cartidge, which I don't see as being a problem for Dark Dawn. Second, at least the first Golden Sun ACTUALLY FRICKING ENDED. There was the climactic battle on top of Venus Lighthouse which wrapped up everything nicely, and then the game said "Okay guys, here's what's happening in the next game"

Dark Dawn just said "Hey, remember those black holes we spent all of five minutes talking about at the beginning of the game then forgot about? THEY'RE IMPORTANT AGAIN NOW! SEE YOU NEXT GAME! WE CAN'T WAIT TO TAKE YOUR MONEY"

So yeah, Golden Sun: Mourning Moon (or whatever the ass they end up calling it, that's just my guess) better bloody get on its hands and knees to apologise. And then make good on that apology by being a masterpiece of such magnitude that I will require frequent breaks from playing it to change my underwear.
Here's the problem, there won't be another Golden Sun. That's the end. There are not enough people who buy Golden Sun. I doubt a reboot of a cult classic will change that. We might get the next installment if we wait ANOTHER 10 years but don't count on it.

I spent about 3 hours explaining why Dark Dawn was a piece of shit to DarkArcher a couple of days ago, that's how infuriating it is.

It's not even like the first two games had the most complex story, in fact it was rather basic, but at least the rules of the world didn't contradict themselves like they do in Dark Dawn. Bah, I'm getting drawn into another fit of rage. Better stop myself now.
Old 06-03-2011

Blurb: Real strenght resides in the heart.

^ I'm playing Golden Sun: DD now, and I totally forgot why in the first place we went to an adventure XD But I enjoy playing it, though. It has a nice battle system and it slightly reminds me of Final Fantasy VIII (GF and junctioning similarities).

Ah, ontopic though.

Disappointing ending

1.) For me, Alan Wake.
I could go on and on why I don't like this game, but after playing it (+suffering)for 4 days in a row, I received an ending that annoyed me to no end.
I mean, it's okay to have a twisted ending, and when I watched on the ending, I felt like this game wants to be a bit Silent-Hill-Like-Twisted-Ending but failed miserably.

But dang it, it's graphics is/are awesome!

2.) Deadly Premonition
I love this game to no end, really. As with A.W., I could go on for hours why I love this game, despite it's a low-budget one.
But the ending is... disappointing, yeah. I just wish there would have been an option of "Yes and No" at a particular place, and then the ending wouldn't be so... disappointing.

3.) Shadow Of The Colossuss

Now, that's really it! The guy leaves the lady with a baby in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by Lung; 06-03-2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lung View Post
^ I'm playing Golden Sun: DD now, and I totally forgot why in the first place we went to an adventure XD But I enjoy playing it, though. It has a nice battle system and it slightly reminds me of Final Fantasy VIII (GF and junctioning similarities).

Ah, ontopic though.

Disappointing ending

1.) For me, Alan Wake.
I could go on and on why I don't like this game, but after playing it (+suffering)for 4 days in a row, I received an ending that annoyed me to no end.
I mean, it's okay to have a twisted ending, and when I watched on the ending, I felt like this game wants to be a bit Silent-Hill-Like-Twisted-Ending but failed miserably.

But dang it, it's graphics is/are awesome!

2.) Deadly Premonition
I love this game to no end, really. As with A.W., I could go on for hours why I love this game, despite it's a low-budget one.
But the ending is... disappointing, yeah. I just wish there would have been an option of "Yes and No" at a particular place, and then the ending wouldn't be so... disappointing.

3.) Shadow Of The Colossuss

Now, that's really it! The guy leaves the lady with a baby in the middle of nowhere.
1. Damn it, that's one of those games I wish I had an Xbox for. WHY AREN'T YOU ON STEAM?!

2. I'm not sure if you can be disappointed in a game that is so unintentionally hilarious. Still fun, to be sure.

3. I think it's a perfectly fine ending to an awesome game. Sure it's weird but if we had a fully detailed explanation about HOW exactly the birth of the horned child came into being for future generations (honestly, play Ico if you haven't), the mysterious nature of the Ico storyline would be severely lessened. I enjoy both games being very light on storyline while hinting at something significantly grander than the sum of its parts.

This is where Hideo Kojima falls flat in the story telling department. I love the MGS series but I hate the story because he tries TOO HARD to explain literally everything and it all becomes a web needless complexity. I started playing MGS4 recently and my enjoyment of the game skyrocketed from the simple act of pressing start and skipping every cut scene.
Old 06-05-2011

Blurb: Attention duelists! My hair is a yuri fanboy!

There were quite a few disappointing game endings for me. But, I guess one in particular that stands out is the ending to Final Fantasy VII. After the ending movie, I just thought to myself "...Wait, that's it?"....maybe my expectations were to high, I don't know.

Last edited by DTM88; 06-05-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM88 View Post
There were quite a few disappointing game endings for me. But, I guess one in particular that stands out is the ending to Final Fantasy VII. After the ending movie, I just thought to myself "...Wait, that's it?"....maybe my expectations were to high, I don't know.
I don't hate FFVII's ending. I don't like it either. I don't love or hate weird endings. I was the same way with Evangelion's 35 different endings.

OH, the only ending that rivals the ending to Golden Sun: Dark Dawn for me is probably the new "secret ending" in Chrono Trigger DS that you unlock by beating the secret final boss, which is pretty much just a palette swapped Lavos with higher stats and less strategy. Anywho.... for some reason I can't find the damn thing on youtube.... not sure why.... and now I've misplaced the cartridge so I can't remind myself WHY I hate it.... I'll elaborate once I've found it.
Old 06-05-2011

Blurb: Rin Okumura is my spirit animal. Fuck yeah.

My most dissapointing game ending ever was Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I mean, what the hell was that shit? Desmond gets controlled by Juno, a human/god/thing from the First Civilization, and is forced to kill Lucy-most likely she is killed. And then Juno talks about some random thing before she leaves Desmond's body. Both of them fall to the ground, Lucy bleeding, and Desmond's mind....kinda cracked. They throw him back into the Animus (which I think it a really bad idea), and they don't even talk about Lucy. Then Juno comes back and tells them 'No'. No for what?!

-pinches bridge of nose- While I love the fact that Ubisoft is trying to leave their games off with cliffhangers and making the gamers have a shit ton of questions, this one, out of all of the games they've created, takes the most disappointing award. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I see it
Old 06-10-2011

For now, I will have to go with the ending of Homefront. The story was decent, though it only lasted me 4 hours of game time (with my obsession of exploring EVERYTHING). The last part was the battle for the golden gate bridge. A hell of a lot of unanswered questions and lack of playtime just sucked. $50 wasted
Old 06-11-2011

Blurb: Rin Okumura is my spirit animal. Fuck yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrfish6 View Post
For now, I will have to go with the ending of Homefront. The story was decent, though it only lasted me 4 hours of game time (with my obsession of exploring EVERYTHING). The last part was the battle for the golden gate bridge. A hell of a lot of unanswered questions and lack of playtime just sucked. $50 wasted
I managed to beat Brotherhood in three days. That includes all of the side missions and getting all of the treasures and unlocking the shops. Didn't get that much sleep though...xD
Old 06-17-2011

Blurb: Trading cards are the fabric of life.

Fable 2, enough said.
Old 06-20-2011

Found it! Ok.... so I started looking this shit up and as it turns out, apparently the ending I'm pissed at is supposedly hinting at the events of Chrono Cross *inhales sharply* and that game did not give me a pleasant first impression.

I'm going to have to push through the pain and play it if I want to know the full story behind this shitty ending because Chrono Trigger is THE perfect stand alone game without a " the world was saved.... until something else happened that rendered all of your hard work completely pointless" ending.

Chrono Cross has by far one of the most convoluted menu driven battle systems I have EVER seen in a game with an even more convoluted elemental magic system on top of it. It's almost as bad as Final Fantasy 8 (FF8 is by far one of the worst offenders). *sigh* I'll probably be ranting here in about a month. I *have* to know why they had to add that new ending to my favorite game of all time. I MUST KNOW.... even if it kills me.
Old 06-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanAura View Post
Found it! Ok.... so I started looking this shit up and as it turns out, apparently the ending I'm pissed at is supposedly hinting at the events of Chrono Cross *inhales sharply* and that game did not give me a pleasant first impression.

I'm going to have to push through the pain and play it if I want to know the full story behind this shitty ending because Chrono Trigger is THE perfect stand alone game without a " the world was saved.... until something else happened that rendered all of your hard work completely pointless" ending.

Chrono Cross has by far one of the most convoluted menu driven battle systems I have EVER seen in a game with an even more convoluted elemental magic system on top of it. It's almost as bad as Final Fantasy 8 (FF8 is by far one of the worst offenders). *sigh* I'll probably be ranting here in about a month. I *have* to know why they had to add that new ending to my favorite game of all time. I MUST KNOW.... even if it kills me.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting the impression that you're upset.
Old 06-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMind View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting the impression that you're upset.
Oh ho ho, not yet my friend. I will be. I *will* be.
Old 06-23-2011

Blurb: No. 8014

I love Chrono Cross, even more so than Chrono Trigger =S
Old 06-23-2011
Whiskey Icarus

Blurb: Yet another 5 star post

Can someone explain in a paragraph or less what makes Chrono Trigger such a great game? I feel like I'm missing out on something huge.

I didn't have internet access during the Super Nintendo era, so I had no way of knowing which games were good aside from recommendations from friends. My friends either played Donkey Kong Country or Mortal Kombat, so my SNES library is rather small. When the DS remake of Chrono Trigger came out, I bought it. These days I'm more into collecting games than actually playing them so it sat on the shelf for a long time while I worked through my back log. I picked it up one day, played for about 20 minutes and realized the battle system wasn't turn based. I'm a fan of the Dragon Quest, "press A to fight" style of RPG, so I put it down and planned to come back to it whenever I felt like messing with the battle system. Its been quite a while since then and I don't have much motivation to start playing.

On Topic:

I have so many games to work through that if a game doesn't look like its going to be worth finishing, I don't. Its rare that I finish a game at all unless it's just that amazing. I will say that I was disappointed with the end of Xenosaga III, if only because they didn't finish the story. Cutting what was supposed to be a six part series into three parts leaves some major holes in the story.
Old 06-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by killshot View Post
Can someone explain in a paragraph or less what makes Chrono Trigger such a great game? I feel like I'm missing out on something huge.

I didn't have internet access during the Super Nintendo era, so I had no way of knowing which games were good aside from recommendations from friends. My friends either played Donkey Kong Country or Mortal Kombat, so my SNES library is rather small. When the DS remake of Chrono Trigger came out, I bought it. These days I'm more into collecting games than actually playing them so it sat on the shelf for a long time while I worked through my back log. I picked it up one day, played for about 20 minutes and realized the battle system wasn't turn based. I'm a fan of the Dragon Quest, "press A to fight" style of RPG, so I put it down and planned to come back to it whenever I felt like messing with the battle system. Its been quite a while since then and I don't have much motivation to start playing.

On Topic:

I have so many games to work through that if a game doesn't look like its going to be worth finishing, I don't. Its rare that I finish a game at all unless it's just that amazing. I will say that I was disappointed with the end of Xenosaga III, if only because they didn't finish the story. Cutting what was supposed to be a six part series into three parts leaves some major holes in the story.
Read a book for a change!

Old 06-24-2011
Whiskey Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMind View Post
Read a book for a change!

I would have gone with "get a girlfriend," but that works too.
Old 06-24-2011
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

girlfriends drive you to play more, not less :D

I think most disappointing ending was no county for old men....opps wrong thread :D

in all seriousness, I think FF10 was bland, if not evil, RE2 was bit, is that it????? and borderlands was just a cop out of century.

PS can anyone explain FF7's ending to me, not the ending movie, but the never ending stars which comes out after that o0
Old 06-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoofs3 View Post
I love Chrono Cross, even more so than Chrono Trigger =S
We can't be friends anymore.
Old 06-25-2011

Quote:

On Topic:

It bothers me that my completionist tendencies are actually in the vast minority and even then, I've probably only beaten approximate 80% of every game I've ever played (I do not count ones I've played for less than a half hour because that is not playing; that is demoing).

The battle system in Chrono Trigger is nearly IDENTICAL to nearly half of the Final Fantasy games in that they have the "active mode," which can be TURNED OFF if you prefer to take your sweet time when selecting your attack. I'm a little frustrated by your definition of "turn-based RPG" as being the only interpretation of speed as merely an immovable start-of-battle attack order. The only thing Chrono Trigger's Active system affects is the frequency at which individual combatants attack. If one character has twice the speed of an enemy, they will get two attacks within the same time frame rather than simply being allowed to attack first. However this is only if you ask the game to switch to "wait" mode, which is pretty much the more traditional method of letting a player take as long as they like to select their attack. Active mode pretty much let's monsters attack you while you're trying to choose which attack you want so overall active mode is pretty much just a harder difficulty (Active = Normal; Wait = Easy).

Honestly, it's not *that* different and I sure as hell hope you don't discriminate against every JRPG (or Fantasy RPG for that matter *THERE IS A DIFFERENCE) that does not have the most basic form of turn-based mechanics possible. I can only imagine if you tried to play the Tales series or Demon's Souls, their RPG complexity may very well make your brain asplode. (It doesn't help that the term RPG is inherently flawed. For one thing, very few RPGs include the act of ROLE PLAYING. Try the Persona series if you want to experience the true meaning of a turn based role playing game.... or just play D&D.)

WHOOPS TOO MUCH TALK, actual Chrono Trigger explanation:

OK, so obviously the statement of Chrono Trigger being one of the greatest RPGs of all time if not one of the greatest games of all time is purely subjective but I'll just tell you what *I* like about it. You are not me and therefore do not like all of the same things so it's very likely what I have to say about it will not change your mind once you've played it (if you ever bother). *AHEM*

I don't want to spoil the story because it's pretty damn good, but here's the premise: In the year 1000 AD, Chrono's best childhood friend Lucca invents a teleportation device which malfunctions after it comes in contact with a special necklace worn by Marle, a mysterious girl who Chrono runs into at the Millennial Fair. In an attempt to rescue the girl, Chrono follows her through the portal and arrives in a familiar, yet different place. *Early Spoilers* After finding Marle in the local castle, because what kind of RPG would this be without a castle, she is surprisingly treated like the queen... and then she explodes (ok not really but that's what it looks like the first time it happens). Lucca follows closely behind Chrono and explains to him that she has accidentally unlocked the secret to time travel (though only limited to pre-existing rifts in the space-time continuum). She also explains that they are currently in 600 AD. After Chrono tells Lucca about Marle exploding, Lucca pieces together that Marle is actually Princess Nadia from their present day and was mistaken as Queen Leene from 600 AD because of their related bloodline, who was kidnapped but rescued before she was killed by monsters, however, because Nadia arrived in this time period, she was mistaken for the Queen of this time and the rescue was called off which resulted in an altered time line in which the real Queen Leene is killed. The resulting ripple effect results in Nadia never being born and therefore ceased to exist!

Anyways, you do hero stuff, meet a talking Frog, named Frog appropriately enough, and save the real Queen and restoring the time line. They return to their original time period and all is well.... until Chrono is arrested for kidnapping Princess Nadia. Despite Nadia's protests, Chrono is locked up. Lucca breaks Chrono out of prison (or you can escape yourself) and they make a break for it, Nadia joins them for the ride. In their escape they find a new time rift and decide to jump in, you know for shits and giggle (ok actually they were trapped and needed an escape route).

They arrive in the year 2300 AD and find the world in ruins with mankind dying of famine and starvation. After a couple detours and running around, they find video footage from 1999 AD in which an entity known only as "Lavos" is responsible for the destruction of the world. Chrono, Nadia, and Lucca all decide then and there that they will not sit idly by and watch the world crumble and make a pact to SAVE THE FUTURE! They also get a sweet Robot sidekick named Robo but I prefer to call him by his real name R-66Y.

From there the plot gets rolling (as we now know the true villain of the story). I won't explain the rest of the plot because those last few paragraphs are about 3-5 hours into the game (it's a long game) and there's a helluva lot more of it.

FINALLY, let me get to the part of the game that make it worth playing:
1. Time Travel - This is one of those rare stories that uses time travel and doesn't completely trip over it's own logic. It's simple, but consistent in that it mostly follows the Back to the Future rules of time travel in that you can change the Future but the time line is pretty easy going about it, i.e. Marty McFly SHOULD have popped out of existence the moment he pushed his father out of the way of the oncoming car.
Another point in it's favor is that by constricting the time line to specific time periods, it avoids nasty paradoxes like meeting yourself and unravelling the very fabric of reality.
The only aspect of the time travel that bugs me is the totally contrived explanation for a 3 party member system as being "portals cannot handle more than 3 people at a time". Yu huh, sure.

2. The plot is almost entirely character driven. There are still the usual JRPG plot contrivances to enable semi-pointless fetch quests like "go get this specific type of rock that only existed 65 billion years ago" but that's where the contrivances end. Never do the main characters simply "stumble upon" a major plot device, they are actively pursuing them and simultaneously collecting information to find out what the next step in their journey will be.

ALSO, the lack of voice acting probably saved this game from sounding whiney and emo and instead only uses music and simplistic facial expressions to convey the mood and atmosphere so a lot is left to your imagination. I guarantee if Frog actually had an audible voice, he would NOT be the most beloved character of the entire Chrono fandom (no, really) because he is the Captain Emo of Chrono Trigger (SEE ALSO: Cecil from FFIV).

3. The Combo System
This is one of the most interest ideas in RPG history and frankly I'm SHOCKED more games haven't ripped this off. The Combo system allows you to combine two or more character's techniques into a brand new technique with more power than either could achieve individually. Not only that, the combinations make practical sense, ie Fire + Sword = Fire Sword. Also, when you use them, you see each character involved using a variation of one of their basic individual techniques and more combos are unlocked as your characters learn new techniques on an individual basis.

Those tiny details are what draws you into the combat because simply by noticing them, you begin to understand why exactly their teamwork makes them stronger than otherwise vastly superior opponents.

It also becomes abundantly clear early on that Chrono is in fact your strongest character and is therefore the leader and required in your party for pretty much the entire game. While I'm usually not the biggest fan of silent protagonists, Chrono is one of the rare few who you actually get to shape as your own character. Remember how I mentioned getting locked in a dungeon early on in the plot? There are actually two slightly different outcomes to that scenario, one in which you are condemned the scourge of society (because the game secretly keeps tabs on you and whether you're doing otherwise normal RPG things like looting everything in sight because honestly, that shit ain't yours) or one in which the public actually sides with you and protest your imprisonment.... they're even nice enough to make you a gift basket, dawww.

The point is that while Chrono Trigger is fundamentally linear, it still gives you a sense of freedom and a sense of importance that is often ignored or outright condemned by current RPGs *COUGH*FINALFANTASYXIII*COUGH*.

YOU are driving the plot, YOU are fighting those monsters, YOU are rescuing the damsels in distress, YOU are will save the world, YOU will save time, and YOU will punch Cthulhu in the face for trying to fuck up your planet!

So anybody else want to ask why Chrono Trigger is the physical embodiment of God?

Last edited by TitanAura; 06-25-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-25-2011
Whiskey Icarus

I didn't expect such a thorough response. There's no way I can put off playing it now. I appreciate the effort you put into your synopsis.
Quote:
The battle system in Chrono Trigger is nearly IDENTICAL to nearly half of the Final Fantasy games in that they have the "active mode," which can be TURNED OFF if you prefer to take your sweet time when selecting your attack. I'm a little frustrated by your definition of "turn-based RPG" as being the only interpretation of speed as merely an immovable start-of-battle attack order. The only thing Chrono Trigger's Active system affects is the frequency at which individual combatants attack. If one character has twice the speed of an enemy, they will get two attacks within the same time frame rather than simply being allowed to attack first. However this is only if you ask the game to switch to "wait" mode, which is pretty much the more traditional method of letting a player take as long as they like to select their attack. Active mode pretty much let's monsters attack you while you're trying to choose which attack you want so overall active mode is pretty much just a harder difficulty (Active = Normal; Wait = Easy).

Honestly, it's not *that* different and I sure as hell hope you don't discriminate against every JRPG (or Fantasy RPG for that matter *THERE IS A DIFFERENCE) that does not have the most basic form of turn-based mechanics possible. I can only imagine if you tried to play the Tales series or Demon's Souls, their RPG complexity may very well make your brain asplode. (It doesn't help that the term RPG is inherently flawed. For one thing, very few RPGs include the act of ROLE PLAYING. Try the Persona series if you want to experience the true meaning of a turn based role playing game.... or just play D&D.)
I may have just been mistaken about the battle system since I only fought one battle. If I had been playing the original and not the DS remake, I probably wouldn't have minded as much. Because it is a DS game, I'm used to being able to set the game down during a battle sequence and not worry about it until I come back. Something about hand-held consoles cause me to be distracted from the game and focus more on my surroundings, such as someone watching TV in the same room. It's just more comforting to know I won't be killed if my eyes wander off the screen for a few seconds.

It's not like I exclusively play turned based RPG's, I just prefer them. One of my favorite games, Star Ocean 3: Till The End of Time, uses a real time battle system and I couldn't imagine playing it any other way. But like you mentioned, games like the Persona series are more to my liking. I grew up on Dragon Quest and I like games that stick to that method of combat.
Old 06-27-2011

Blurb: No. 8014

Quote:
We can't be friends anymore.
We were friends?
Old 06-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoofs3 View Post
We were friends?
Point taken.
Old 06-29-2011

Location: Well, since I'm always the last one on here, I'd say this is my home. NOW GET THE HELL OUT!!
Blurb: My ego is now a meme.
Send a message via MSN to gwtyler1985 Send a message via Yahoo to gwtyler1985

Quote:
I didn't expect such a thorough response. There's no way I can put off playing it now. I appreciate the effort you put into your synopsis.

I may have just been mistaken about the battle system since I only fought one battle. If I had been playing the original and not the DS remake, I probably wouldn't have minded as much. Because it is a DS game, I'm used to being able to set the game down during a battle sequence and not worry about it until I come back. Something about hand-held consoles cause me to be distracted from the game and focus more on my surroundings, such as someone watching TV in the same room. It's just more comforting to know I won't be killed if my eyes wander off the screen for a few seconds.
... *hits killshot with a very blunt object* That's part of the appeal.

Now another great part of this game that Titanaura forgot to mention that further expresses that this game gives you power over the story is the fact that it has multiple endings for choices you make along the way, some of them dealing with when and where you fight the big boss and some of them just the game keeping tabs on you, as pointed out earlier.

In response to Titanaura's complaints, there are more positive differences between the DS remake and the original, like the cut scenes added in the Playstation port (with animation done by Bird Studio and Akira ToriyamaTHANK YOU GOD!!!!which in my opinion only made the game that much more appealing, especially as the voice acting was limited to gasps and grunts), a second new area, the lost sanctum, that doesn't lead you to a crappy ending and keeps the fun going a little longer, and the monster colosseum, a call back from the later incarnations from co-designer Yuji Horii's legendary game legacy, Dragon Quest. Otherwise, the DS port is every bit as great as the original and it brought a great game back to the market for those of us who missed the original and the Playstation port.

Oh, and since I've mentioned Toriyama and Horii, I'm obligated to note for people who are unfamiliar with this game that Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of the Final Fantasy series, also had a part in creating this game, bringing his expertise in game design to the table. So yes, sir, this game is God's holy gift to gamers everywhere, regardless of age or background. That's why it has ports for every 5 years or so.

Though in terms of bad game endings, I'll just call everyone's attention back to MGS2. I'd say Devil May Cry 2 and Alter Echo, but I never really got the story for the first, and for the second, it's just not that good a game. The ending was actually one of the more pleasant parts of playing it.

Oh, Metroid: Fusion for the gameboy advance.
Yeah, this game is pretty much like all the other metroid games (although the bosses are worth it), but when it comes to the end, SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you finally kill think thing that's been hunting you this whole time and start blowing up the space station you're stranded on, you go back to your ship, and there's a giant metroid!! You can't stop it, you can't damage it, and you just get beaten to hell until you have one HP left and then guess what? You remember that thing you killed? It comes in and gives you full health and a last minute upgrade. A very convenient upgrade, as it's the only thing that can damage the metroid, making most of the game rather meaningless. At least in most every other game you have some choice of how to dispatch the boss (by which I mean spam missiles at it), but here you have to use the last minute power up (for your charge beam I might add), and you pretty much shoot the thing twice in it's weakspot the size of Canada and it croaks. And don't even get me started on the throwaway AI. And for the same system, Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. The game in itself has a relatively able story, excluding the scaldingly generic main villain that's powered by the fuckitall macguffin and has no real scheme whatsoever other than go in and steal MORE random power ups and that insufferable annoying thing on your head that just happens to find you, but both of these elements come at you full force for the ending. It's just sad to see it. If I had the power to do so, I would sentence both of these characters to game character hell (or as some would call it the scripts of game reviewers everywhere) for screwing up what was otherwise an ok game!

Now what pisses me off about these games is that even though they clearly had enough of a software bump from the last incarnation of the title, they still didn't manage to produce a worthwhile ending. IF YOU CAN"T DO BETTER THAN ORACLE OF AGES/SEASONS THEN DON"T BOTHER TRYING!!! Nintendo really needs to get better writers. ... And so does Square Enix. I swear to god if KH3 is anything like FFXIII, I'm going to hunt them down and kill them for getting my hopes up, especially with all the half assed stories they threw at me for the portable games in order to build it up.

Last edited by gwtyler1985; 06-29-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtyler1985 View Post
Now another great part of this game that Titanaura forgot to mention that further expresses that this game gives you power over the story is the fact that it has multiple endings for choices you make along the way, some of them dealing with when and where you fight the big boss and some of them just the game keeping tabs on you, as pointed out earlier.
Erm.... the alternate endings had less to do with giving you a choice in how the game would end and more to do with *when* you decided the game would end. They were more "bonus content" than story telling elements. The problem with having multiple endings is when you try to make a sequel out of it, you have to select a single ending to declare as canon and thereby invalidate all other outcomes.

Quote:
In response to Titanaura's complaints, there are more positive differences between the DS remake and the original, like the cut scenes added in the Playstation port (with animation done by Bird Studio and Akira ToriyamaTHANK YOU GOD!!!!which in my opinion only made the game that much more appealing, especially as the voice acting was limited to gasps and grunts), a second new area, the lost sanctum, that doesn't lead you to a crappy ending and keeps the fun going a little longer, and the monster colosseum
Cutscenes: Well, yeah, I guess you could say that. They didn't really add anything but they didn't detract anything either. At the very least they understood that adding voices after the fact is always a bad idea and has rarely ended well.

Lost Sanctum: Fuck this 3-4 hour 15 part fetch quest. It sucks and the only point is to get the best equipment when the equipment you already have is already OP. It repeats the same 4 or 5 time wasting screens over and over again, unnecessary detours, and it lacks enemy variety or difficulty of any sort. It's a complete waste of time. The same goes for the Dimensional Vortexes, which rip screens DIRECTLY from previous dungeons. Absolute waste of time. All it does it raise the main three character's stats prematurely. They max out by lvl 99 anyways so what's the point?

Quote:
Oh, Metroid: Fusion for the gameboy advance.
Yeah, this game is pretty much like all the other metroid games (although the bosses are worth it), but when it comes to the end, SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you finally kill think thing that's been hunting you this whole time and start blowing up the space station you're stranded on, you go back to your ship, and there's a giant metroid!! You can't stop it, you can't damage it, and you just get beaten to hell until you have one HP left and then guess what? You remember that thing you killed? It comes in and gives you full health and a last minute upgrade. A very convenient upgrade, as it's the only thing that can damage the metroid, making most of the game rather meaningless. At least in most every other game you have some choice of how to dispatch the boss (by which I mean spam missiles at it), but here you have to use the last minute power up (for your charge beam I might add), and you pretty much shoot the thing twice in it's weakspot the size of Canada and it croaks. And don't even get me started on the throwaway AI.
You mean the ending that was almost identical to what happened at the end of Super Metroid, arguably one of the greatest games on the SNES if not one of the best of all time? I think you might want to rethink your stance on *why* you hate this ending.

Quote:
And for the same system, Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. The game in itself has a relatively able story, excluding the scaldingly generic main villain that's powered by the fuckitall macguffin and has no real scheme whatsoever other than go in and steal MORE random power ups and that insufferable annoying thing on your head that just happens to find you, but both of these elements come at you full force for the ending. It's just sad to see it. If I had the power to do so, I would sentence both of these characters to game character hell (or as some would call it the scripts of game reviewers everywhere) for screwing up what was otherwise an ok game!

Now what pisses me off about these games is that even though they clearly had enough of a software bump from the last incarnation of the title, they still didn't manage to produce a worthwhile ending. IF YOU CAN"T DO BETTER THAN ORACLE OF AGES/SEASONS THEN DON"T BOTHER TRYING!!! Nintendo really needs to get better writers. ... And so does Square Enix. I swear to god if KH3 is anything like FFXIII, I'm going to hunt them down and kill them for getting my hopes up, especially with all the half assed stories they threw at me for the portable games in order to build it up.
Heh, you mean they shouldn't make carbon copy sequels that make boatloads of cash with every iteration? Good luck with that.

Though I do concur that Season and Ages (if compounded as a single game) was one of the best handheld games ever made.
Old 06-29-2011

Location: Well, since I'm always the last one on here, I'd say this is my home. NOW GET THE HELL OUT!!

Quote:
Erm.... the alternate endings had less to do with giving you a choice in how the game would end and more to do with *when* you decided the game would end. They were more "bonus content" than story telling elements. The problem with having multiple endings is when you try to make a sequel out of it, you have to select a single ending to declare as canon and thereby invalidate all other outcomes.
Not quite true. There are also ending scenes for choices you make along the way, such as having Magus join you or whether or not you still have the the ship at the end.

Quote:
You mean the ending that was almost identical to what happened at the end of Super Metroid, arguably one of the greatest games on the SNES if not one of the best of all time? I think you might want to rethink your stance on *why* you hate this ending.
Alright. I don't like this as a) the power up comes out of almost nowhere, and b) the character is already has an upgrade with the boss's weakness that works on everything else you could possibly need it for and only fails against the last boss so they can include the last power up that comes out of almost nowhere. You only use it on the last boss. I would have to assume that the power up in Super Metroid has a broader range of use.

Quote:
Heh, you mean they shouldn't make carbon copy sequels that make boatloads of cash with every iteration? Good luck with that.
Carbon copy sequels? I'm ok with that. Carbon copy sequels with annoying hat mages and idiot big bosses? Not so much. At least make the villain interesting.

Quote:
Though I do concur that Season and Ages (if compounded as a single game) was one of the best handheld games ever made.
Damn straight.
Old 06-30-2011

God fucking damn it, I just spend 2 hours writing a fucking response and thanks to the auto-log out function on this forum I lost EVERYTHING.

Fuck it, I'm not writing it again. Here's what it said in a nutshell:
SPOILERS Killing Magus barely affects the endings as he only appears in short cameos in pre-existing ending scenes and maybe has one or two lines of dialogue. As for the choice about killing Magus, THAT is one of the best moral choices in any video game ever because you can go so much farther in depth into the reasoning if the FUCKING FORUM DOESN'T LOG YOU OUT AND MAKE YOU LOSE EVERYTHING YOU JUST WROTE FOR 2 HOURS BECAUSE YOU HIT THE SUBMIT BUTTON WITHOUT BEING LOGGED IN.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCK.

As for Metroid, seriously, you need to play Super Metroid. It's the EXACT same situation with the final power up. I don't care if you have to emulate it, you MUST play Super Metroid. At most it'll take you 5 hours, it's not that long a game.
Old 06-30-2011

If it's anything like this one, it'll take me 3 hours. If it has Nightmare, 3 and a half.