This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Books & Literature
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2012
Not a Moderator

Blurb: KRILLIN!
Send a message via MSN to eternity
Default The Hunger Games Series

I only read the first book. I don't normally read books, but I'm actually wanting to read the others. What do you think?
Old 04-04-2012

It's a good series. Admittedly, the second and third ones aren't as engrossing as the first one is. On the part of the second, this is largely due to the author making the romance sub-plot too dominant. It should have remained just that, a minor sub-plot.

The third book's main problem is its pacing. This series could have done quite well by itself to have four books instead of three. As it is, the end of the third book feels far too rushed with everything happening at once. I suppose that could have been completely intentional to highlight the chaos of what was going on but it was still a bad stylistic choice. The medium of books is just not well suited to a breakneck pace, certain exceptions notwithstanding (I'm looking at you, Dresden Files).

If you ever discuss this series with anybody, be prepared to listen to an argument with Battle Royale VS Hunger Games. I personally feel that they're roughly equivalent in quality. Hunger Games felt like the expanded version of Battle Royale, which would normally rate it higher in my judgment, except that Battle Royale seemed to have the better writing.

It's a case of better overall writing (Battle Royale) VS a better story structure (Hunger Games).

I say you should read the remaining books in Hunger Games. Even if you don't like it, you can then read Battle Royale and appreciate that series all the more for the constrast between them.

Last edited by Zairak; 04-04-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-04-2012

Blurb: Aliquis faber suae fortunae est.

I've started two years ago and finished last years. I LOVE THIS SERIES. I'm a book addicted junk but the hunger games has that something special, extra, that scared and touched me at the same time. But honestly, I thought the 3rd book was too sad, and I didn't like the ending. Too many people died in my opinion.
Old 04-10-2012

Blurb: Bloody tart.

The Hunger Games is a fantastic series - I'm glad you started reading it. I read them all last year, and it was a great experience. I thought that Catching Fire, the second book, was the best. I have to agree with Zairak though - Suzanne Collins built up on the romance too much. It was originally intended to be something subtle that added to the ambiance of the first book, but by the second book it became too strong for my tastes. Overall though, I did think that the second book was the best. The first book came as a close second, and the last book, Mockingjay, was a bit of a letdown. I thought that they didn't show enough of Katniss' emotion towards the end. The author definitely could have made it longer. Look at J.K. Rowling! She jumped from 300 pages per book to over 600, and her books were still a huge success. Had Suzanne Collins put a bit more time into Mockingjay, I'm sure it would have been even better.

The series is AMAZING anyway, and I think you should definitely read it. At the very least, you should read them so that you can better understand the movies! :-)

Good luck and happy Hunger Games! May the odds be ever in your favor!
Old 04-10-2012
Not a Moderator

Blurb: KRILLIN!
Send a message via MSN to eternity

Quote:
I'm glad you started reading it.
*Read first book in 2010/2011*