This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2008
Administrator

I know its hard to comprehend but it could be true....
A friend of mine who is part of the sketch comedy group Loading Ready Run, who has through the years made many many videos poking fun at Uwe Boll and the horrible films he produces recently ran into the man himself while at a Starbucks and managed to score an interview with him.
What comes next is something that no one could of ever expected, a highly intelligent and laid back conversation about what Uwe really feels about the film industry shedding the persona we all know him as and talk about his movies and why they fail so hard.

You can view the 20 minute interview here.

Granted this hasn't made me want to run out and go see Postal but it has made me respect the man a whole lot more than before and a lot of what he says does ring true. Not that I agree with everything he says but it is interesting.

I still do think that with the right movie, Boll can make something really good. I always have thought that but with the way he has gone so far, he hasn't hit anything really solid yet and its really hard for me to randomly go see yet another one of his movies (Especially with the rising theater ticket prices) without tons of people telling me that Boll has managed to come up with something that finally works.
But from what he said, it doesn't matter if we see it in theaters. He makes everything off the DVD sales and TV viewings so I don't feel too bad about not going to see it.

Wondering what everyone else's opinions are here of this video showing a very different side to Boll is....

UPDATE: It just got Kotaku'd!
Old 05-27-2008

Blurb: (>'-')> (>'-'<) <('-')> (>'-')> kirby dance mofos

yeh kwl
Old 05-27-2008

I always think back to Stuttering Craig and Handsome Tom from Screwattack.com's comments that despite his movies being of lower standard, at least he is an extremely passionate man when it comes to his movies.

What I don't like however is, though he holds a doctorate in literature, is the way he responds to criticism. I guess you may have read his response to a negative review of Postal published in Wired:
Quote:
(The critic) (didn't) understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and fuck her ...because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it
Based on quotes like that I felt that Uwe Boll was nothing more than an internet fanboy with a camera, one of those idiots you see commenting videos on youtube that offends them and making stupid flaming videos against things they have a mindless hate towards.
But after seeing that interview, it makes me question why he reacts so harshly to criticism, when he seems to be a regular, knowledged guy with a strong sense of what makes a good movie, and his thoughts on censorship speaks volumes. I mean fair enough, you can't get the right impression from the feeling of impatience in someone's writing without hearing their voice, and who knows, maybe that's just him humouring us, but I just see such a vast difference in the man slagging off Michael Bay on the net, and the man in that interview speaking about him with a level of respect but also with dismay.

From the interview, I agree, always give a filmmaker a chance, and never base the movie your about to see on one that came out a few years back. It's a very 'out there' example, but whenever I go and see another Harry Potter movie, I never base my opinion of them on the last movies until after I've seen it all the way through. And it pays off, I really enjoyed Order of the Pheonix, whilst some people still refuse to see it after the mediocre attempts for the first three movies.

Overall, I might see Postal when it reaches the UK, but based on his previous films, I still don't think he's a good filmmaker. From the interview, I can see he obviously has a great deal of knowledge of the film industry, what works and what doesn't, and he has his concept of the perfect film, but it just doesn't translate into his directing. Maybe he'd be good as just a producer, or maybe he should take a stab at documentary making, with his views and opinions he'd make a good movie on par with the likes of Kirby Dick.
Old 05-27-2008
Administrator

Highly agree with every point you said.
I think how he "reacts to criticism" is just part of this "Big Bad Boll" persona he has built up over the years and uses it to gain attention for all his movies.
When I was at Comic Con last year, they had the most tasteless advertisement for Postal I had ever seen... almost naked girls with Postal tattoos and holding up airsoft guns riding around in a see through truck in which the back where they were all at had a stripper pole in it as they all took turns dancing on it as they drove the truck through the city.
He does like to shock people to gain attention to whatever he is currently working on and there lies his flaw.
Old 05-27-2008

I don't exactly think I've ever questioned how smart he was, just more of the fact that he makes bad movies that he thinks are good. Which really doesn't make him all THAT smart but it's good to know that he isn't a complete idiot.
Old 05-28-2008

Well I'm all for shock value, though I can't help but wonder was that advertisement supposed to be some form of political satire, the idea of having a whore truck advertising a movie that has caused quite a political stir could be making an interesting statement, but it looks more like it's trying to get that kind of 'boobs and guns audience'.
Still one thing that compells me to see it is how he claimed he wanted to make a movie that was "ruthless, just like Monty Python movies used to be". I love Monty Python, and in it's own time it wasn't as appreciated as it is now, so maybe this might be on a similar level.