This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Serious Discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2009

Default Marijuana: Why All The Hate?

Sup dudes and dudettes. Haven't been on here in a while and thought I'd have a good 'ol cannabis discussion. There was a topic a while ago but I think it'd be best to start a fresh one. Anyways -

What's with all this hate on marijuana? I know we live in a society that's perpetually getting more and more controlled by media but a farce as big as why a small plant is outlawed is pushing it. Marijuana has never killed anyone, it's never made anyone stupid (directly at least), and it's definitely not a trigger to make someone want to go commit crimes. Why don't people see that? Almost everything we're taught in school about why weed is bad for you is either over-exaggerated or a flat out lie.

Cannabis kills brain cells? Debunked in a study conducted several years ago. The original myth originated from some scientists pumping marijuana smoke into monkeys, not even letting them breath. They did lose brain cells, but from suffocation rather than smoking.

It's addictive? Caffeine was proven more addictive than marijuana. Less than 1% of America's population actually form a dependency on it. There's no reason to ban a substance because of POTENTIAL addiction. That's absurd logic. In that case pretty much damn near everything has to be outlawed.

And what's more depressing is the fact that the government didn't even know they were banning it to begin with, they were simply following some rich asshole who didn't want to lose millions in the timber industry who was threatened by hemp. That asshole, William Hurst, owned a bunch of newspapers and published a propaganda article on how marijuana was being used by people of color (blacks, hispanics) and causing them to rape women. So not only is the criminalization of marijuana founded on lies, it can also be argued that racism was involved here, too.

So what's everyone's take on this whole situation?
Old 08-31-2009

I do realize it is about economics, but if cannabis were legalized the money that would theoretically be gained from it is insane. It would probably make the crime rate more "truthful", for a lack of better word, because a greater ratio of that rate would consist of people who actually committed a real crime, not carrying around a bag of a harmless substance.

I also understand that many would stick to their dealers, but being able to go into a convenience store, buy a pack of professionally rolled joints along with a Slurpee is an option to mouth-watering for stoners to refuse. The government would make million off the taxes.
Old 08-31-2009

Well, marijuana doesn't cost much to grow, especially if the governemnt is backing it. I'm sure they can sell a pack for under $20, which is a great price.
Old 08-31-2009

Marshmallow

I habitually smoke marijuana it helped me ace my midterms
Old 09-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningRadiance View Post
They can, but will they?
Of course they will. Why wouldn't they want to be competitive with dealers? Even if they do overprice it, I'm sure millions will still buy.
Old 09-01-2009

Needs to be taxed and legal like salvia is. The only argument I really see against it is that it's a "gateway drug", which is BS since the same could be said for alcohol and tobacco.

The War on Drugs needs to end. It's as pointless as the Prohibition of Alcohol was. You would think we'd learn from our mistakes...
Old 09-01-2009
Chumba Wumba

Blurb: What is a blurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersianSpice View Post
Sup dudes and dudettes. Haven't been on here in a while and thought I'd have a good 'ol cannabis discussion. There was a topic a while ago but I think it'd be best to start a fresh one. Anyways -

What's with all this hate on marijuana? I know we live in a society that's perpetually getting more and more controlled by media but a farce as big as why a small plant is outlawed is pushing it. Marijuana has never killed anyone, it's never made anyone stupid (directly at least), and it's definitely not a trigger to make someone want to go commit crimes. Why don't people see that? Almost everything we're taught in school about why weed is bad for you is either over-exaggerated or a flat out lie.

Cannabis kills brain cells? Debunked in a study conducted several years ago. The original myth originated from some scientists pumping marijuana smoke into monkeys, not even letting them breath. They did lose brain cells, but from suffocation rather than smoking.

It's addictive? Caffeine was proven more addictive than marijuana. Less than 1% of America's population actually form a dependency on it. There's no reason to ban a substance because of POTENTIAL addiction. That's absurd logic. In that case pretty much damn near everything has to be outlawed.

And what's more depressing is the fact that the government didn't even know they were banning it to begin with, they were simply following some rich asshole who didn't want to lose millions in the timber industry who was threatened by hemp. That asshole, William Hurst, owned a bunch of newspapers and published a propaganda article on how marijuana was being used by people of color (blacks, hispanics) and causing them to rape women. So not only is the criminalization of marijuana founded on lies, it can also be argued that racism was involved here, too.

So what's everyone's take on this whole situation?
ok, just to jump in here, there are two reasons, one is the easy economics's, however holy has covered that, so lets move on to second reason:-

The reason poeple believe that smoking is worse (PS drinking isn't, it has negative effects and is drug, but drinking is still mild) in general society is because the effects are lot more see able from mass use and fact that the maga-negative effects of say smoking effect about 1 in 3, why'll Weed only effects about 1-10 with worse effects, (not proper stats,)
=however don't think that means weed cannot have really bad negative effects, it just there lot more subtle even in its physical effects on you, and diff the way it effects you mentally (trust me, if you see poeple who have really been hit by abusing this drug, you would be less quick to defend it) and so this coupled with the fact that they are less used (though still amazingly high use) and less likely to have negatives effects makes them seem less deadly.

And so to this leads back to argument, but smoking is legal, and this where it gets more hard, as though to me weed is bad thing, so is smoking anything and so I would ban them both, however smoking will never be fully banned and so should weed be legal, hmmm well logic may say so, but it was in england and when it was declassed as drug to point of being almost fully legal, we then got to ask are we better for it? (No, as sense it got declassed, the abuse use of drugs overall in Britain has risen (though weed cannot be blamed for this alone,) and so has the evidence to its negative effects:-)

http://www.ias.org.uk/resources/publications/.../al200902_p18.html

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm

http://www.well.com/user/woa/fspot.htm

These websites should help tell you more and in irony we both agree that there are double standards on weed, however disagree with ways of dealing with lol

Drinking is a problem as well however and one that i cannot lie about, because I abused achole at times, but it is different problem to smoking and weed and so needs to be looked at in another context

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 09-01-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-01-2009
BANNEDARCHER!

Location: From the United Kingdom I'm looking for him. I'm going to California~
Blurb: Fool!

My opinion here is probably not a very good one since I think that people shouldn't be allowed to buy enough alcohol to make then drunk either...so...yeah.

And Shining's original point was correct. It has to do with economics. Alcohol is legal because it's easily taxed. People can't make it very easily on their own so they have to buy from companies, and the government can collect fees on both the distributor and consumer's ends.

Marijuana, on the other hand, is easily grown privately. If it were legal, people wouldn't necessarily buy from companies since they can make their own or buy it directly from somebody who does, which means the government will have a hard time gaining revenue off of it. They probably keep more people employed to fight marijuana than the marginal gains would justify if they legalized it.
Old 09-01-2009
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarcher View Post
My opinion here is probably not a very good one since I think that people shouldn't be allowed to buy enough alcohol to make then drunk either...so...yeah.

And Shining's original point was correct. It has to do with economics. Alcohol is legal because it's easily taxed. People can't make it very easily on their own so they have to buy from companies, and the government can collect fees on both the distributor and consumer's ends.

Marijuana, on the other hand, is easily grown privately. If it were legal, people wouldn't necessarily buy from companies since they can make their own or buy it directly from somebody who does, which means the government will have a hard time gaining revenue off of it. They probably keep more people employed to fight marijuana than the marginal gains would justify if they legalized it.
Very true, however though to denie there is problem with acholol is a lie, I think we need to separate it from this debate here, as the "problem" with Alcohol is, unlike some other drugs it is so bad for you pure, that you have to water it down to a point where it is lot harder to abuse (depending on drink) and so why'll most could easily handle a can of beer without even realising they had drank a drug, A lot of poeple won't do this, lots will still abuse it, I generally drink responsability (believe that or don't) but I have abused alcohol in past, however I had to make a real effort to abuse it, why'll "one puff of the magic wand" could send me away.

Acholol needs dealing with, however because it is so different to Weed I think have to deal with both differently, though it sounds nice not sure how you would actually police a limit on drinking and amount poeple buy?
Old 09-01-2009
BANNEDARCHER!

Location: From the United Kingdom I'm looking for him. I'm going to California~
Blurb: Fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat1Fared View Post
Very true, however though to denie there is problem with acholol is a lie, I think we need to separate it from this debate here, as the "problem" with Alcohol is, unlike some other drugs it is so bad for you pure, that you have to water it down to a point where it is lot harder to abuse (depending on drink) and so why'll most could easily handle a can of beer without even realising they had drank a drug, A lot of poeple won't do this, lots will still abuse it, I generally drink responsability (believe that or don't) but I have abused alcohol in past, however I had to make a real effort to abuse it, why'll "one puff of the magic wand" could send me away.

Acholol needs dealing with, however because it is so different to Weed I think have to deal with both differently, though it sounds nice not sure how you would actually police a limit on drinking and amount poeple buy?
I didn't say it was practical. :P
Old 09-01-2009
Banned

All drugs should be legalized, taxed, and regulated.
Old 09-01-2009

Quote:

The reason poeple believe that smoking is worse (PS drinking isn't, it has negative effects and is drug, but drinking is still mild) in general society is because the effects are lot more see able from mass use and fact that the maga-negative effects of say smoking effect about 1 in 3, why'll Weed only effects about 1-10 with worse effects, (not proper stats,)
Drinking is worse. Alcoholics die of liver failure all the time but you won't ever find a pothead who has lung cancer. Why? THC, the main ingredient in cannabis as everyone knows, actually has somewhat of a protective effect on the lungs so even though you're inhaling smoke you're still giving your lungs a "medicine" so to speak. Besides, when you're high you don't lose all your inhibitions as opposed to being drunk, which is not by any stretch of the imagination "mild". I speak out of both professional studies and personal experience. Hell, most people that are high probably wouldn't be stupid enough to go on the road unless they've had experience just simply out of paranoia.

Quote:
=however don't think that means weed cannot have really bad negative effects, it just there lot more subtle even in its physical effects on you, and diff the way it effects you mentally (trust me, if you see poeple who have really been hit by abusing this drug, you would be less quick to defend it) and so this coupled with the fact that they are less used (though still amazingly high use) and less likely to have negatives effects makes them seem less deadly.
It's not subtle at all. You're either high or you're not. Any and all side-effects from weed subside after you come down (short-term memory, to name one). And by the way, I'm not turning a blind eye to the people who abuse it, but you can't really expect that to be a reason for it to be bad. People abuse McDonald's but that's still legal. The fact that idiots choose to depend on a non-addictive drug is there own damn fault, not the plant.

Quote:
And so to this leads back to argument, but smoking is legal, and this where it gets more hard, as though to me weed is bad thing, so is smoking anything and so I would ban them both, however smoking will never be fully banned and so should weed be legal, hmmm well logic may say so, but it was in england and when it was declassed as drug to point of being almost fully legal, we then got to ask are we better for it? (No, as sense it got declassed, the abuse use of drugs overall in Britain has risen (though weed cannot be blamed for this alone,) and so has the evidence to its negative effects:-)
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here. Could you please type more legibly and coherently so I can understand? Don't mean to be a grammar Nazi but I kind of need to understand what you're saying before I say something.

Quote:
http://www.ias.org.uk/resources/publications/.../al200902_p18.html

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm

http://www.well.com/user/woa/fspot.htm

These websites should help tell you more and in irony we both agree that there are double standards on weed, however disagree with ways of dealing with lol
To be honest, I don't trust any of those sites. First one is 404'd, second one is About.com and not what I'd call a real source for medical info, and last one is just some unprofessional list of so-called "facts".

Here are some sites that not only pull facts from real and RECENT scientific studies, they go as far as actually citing non-biased sources. Fancy that.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/
http://www.drugtext.org/sub/marmyt1.html
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabi...bis_myth.shtml

Quote:
Drinking is a problem as well however and one that i cannot lie about, because I abused achole at times, but it is different problem to smoking and weed and so needs to be looked at in another context
Just because people drink every now and then doesn't mean you're abusing it. Same goes with cannabis.
Old 09-01-2009

Excuse the double post.

Quote:

It may be easily grown privately, but being able to go to a convenience store is far more reliable than people having to depend on dealers who might fall through. Hell, lots of dealers are shady as hell and I can bet millions of people would rather not have those interactions.

And once again, the government would want to be competitive so they'd probably undercut the dealer's prices seeing as how it's so cheap to grow.
Old 09-01-2009

Blurb: don't pee on me and tell me it's raining

Quote:
Alcohol is legal because it's easily taxed. People can't make it very easily on their own so they have to buy from companies, and the government can collect fees on both the distributor and consumer's ends.
Yes and no. It actually isn't that hard to make simple beer. Wine is much harder though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Kaiba View Post
Needs to be taxed and legal like salvia is.
Salvia Divinorum is actually not legal in all states. The same goes for wormwood as well. Although when it comes to these hallcunigenic herbs not much public and noticeable testing has been done on these. There are also plenty of other herbs and combinations of herbs that cause a high or have hallucinogenic properties that the government hasn't even bothered to look into.

Personally I don't have a problem with weed being smoked for recreational or spiritual use. I thinke it can and should be legalized and treated in the same category as alcohol. I'm sure there's someone smart enough somewhere to come up with a breathalyzer program the same way they did for alcohol.
Old 09-01-2009

Considering the reoccurring theme of alcohol here, it is a good argument as to why marijuana is illegal and yet alcohol isn't. Everyone here for legalization has their points, and they are very clear.

However, I agree with people here, but in a way I don't. If marijuana was to be legalized, there will be a lot of stupid jerks who would abuse it like they do alcohol. (There are already are, you know). That means being constantly high, and in a lot of cases that makes people test or work better, but in some cases it's the complete opposite. That means more 'rehab', and in effect more money spent.

I want to say even if it hasn't come up yet, the marijuana is not addictive thing is bull. Marijuana is just as addictive as alcohol. There isn't an actual substance in it that makes you crave it, but the feeling can be that good. So mentally, people can become very addicted. Had a bad day? Light a blunt. That's the mentality a lot of time, and it becomes reoccurring until you're smoking many of times. Now I'm not saying this applies to every marijuana smoker, but it has that potential. That's what people argue.

Alcohol is the same way. Both are drugs in that sense; they make you crave it whether it be physically or mentally. In that sense, they both should be banned or they both should be legalized.

Personally, I don't like it. I never drank alcohol to make a bad day go away, nor did I smoke. I think it's rather unattractive, and I don't like being dependent on things. That's not my style, and it never will be. I don't want to be in an elated state all the time, even if I did score better. That's not what I really am, if I'm high all the time.

Plus, I can't afford it. Good alcohol is expensive, and it's the same way with weed. I don't have money for that, when my basic needs come first.

If anything, alcohol and cigarettes should be banned instead of that. Those two physically damage the body more than marijuana does.

But, note to you guys - I wouldn't drive while high. A close friend of one of my buddies was high and so out of it that she crashed into a lamp post and over the beltway, flipping over her car. She was in a coma, kept alive as a vegetable. Her parents pulled the plug not even a month ago.

Think about that too, you know. People react to it in different ways.

Last edited by Kanariya674; 09-01-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2009

Blurb: How do I activate blurb?

Marijuana is illegal because it is hard to keep track of selling.

Anyways, no one likes a drunk in the same way no one likes one who is high:

"Hey...Heydude, I...Just want to...tell you...that *vomits*...I love you...Kiss me...*faints*"
Old 09-01-2009
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
Drinking is worse. Alcoholics die of liver failure all the time but you won't ever find a pothead who has lung cancer. Why? THC, the main ingredient in cannabis as everyone knows, actually has somewhat of a protective effect on the lungs so even though you're inhaling smoke you're still giving your lungs a "medicine" so to speak. Besides, when you're high you don't lose all your inhibitions as opposed to being drunk, which is not by any stretch of the imagination "mild". I speak out of both professional studies and personal experience. Hell, most people that are high probably wouldn't be stupid enough to go on the road unless they've had experience just simply out of paranoia.
Ok, maybe if you read what I put, you may actually understand what on about, I never said that beer was good, infact I said complete opposite, however it isn't worse than Weed, it is lot harder to mess yourself up with Alcohol than is Weed, however course more poeple will die from alcohol if more poeple use it, more of time, that doesn't mean alcohol is worse, just more abused.

Quote:
It's not subtle at all. You're either high or you're not. Any and all side-effects from weed subside after you come down (short-term memory, to name one). And by the way, I'm not turning a blind eye to the people who abuse it, but you can't really expect that to be a reason for it to be bad. People abuse McDonald's but that's still legal. The fact that idiots choose to depend on a non-addictive drug is there own damn fault, not the plant.
Again, read what I put, I was clearly on about long term effects, if it was just the short term effects, then yes I wouldn't mind weed, but it does have long term effects which cannot be rejected

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here. Could you please type more legibly and coherently so I can understand? Don't mean to be a grammar Nazi but I kind of need to understand what you're saying before I say something.
Ok, I think being serious here, as seem to be and don;t know me will enough to take piss out of my dyslexia, so I will answer properly, the point I'm making is simple one, in UK Weed is basically legal and sense it was made legal, a lot of problems have come from it, from raise in general drug problems (which admittedly cannot all be put at weeds feet) to raise in normal of poeple suffering from its long term problems, which is pretty easy to work out why

To be honest, I don't trust any of those sites. First one is 404'd, second one is About.com and not what I'd call a real source for medical info, and last one is just some unprofessional list of so-called "facts".
[/QUOTE]

The first one's site may not be what you call amazing, however if actually read it, you see the site is just link to proper reseach

as for other 2, I will admit I didn't take too much care in picking them, but the information on them is true and if you don't wish to believe it, not much I can do or say, so I just hope for your sake you don't suffer any negative effects from use of weed (you seem generally pretty level headed, so like me controlling my gambling and acholole use, sure you can control yours, sadly not everyone will be like you and sometimes the state does need to nanny poeple, I know I talk about her a lot, but my sister is psychiatric nurse and if I got pound for every time she told me about someone one who had ruined there life with drugs (and weed included,) well lets just say my life would be made, I know it may seem harmless at time and hell only using say once every so often probably is harmless, however just look at examples you put of McD's, smoking and acholole, all fine in small amounts, but most poeple don't use it that way and it isn't case of there legal, so everything should be as well, it is more case that others should not be legal as well as this, the only one which is maybe little different is Acholole, and that depends on type because is lot harder to abuse, but there is arguments against that, but think acholole is problem which needs tackling in different )

Quote:
Here are some sites that not only pull facts from real and RECENT scientific studies, they go as far as actually citing non-biased sources. Fancy that.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/
http://www.drugtext.org/sub/marmyt1.html
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabi...bis_myth.shtml
Mate I admit only simi read them, but don't think their anymore reiable than mine, because flashy site, I looked at "Real Scientific Study from 90's and that proved that smoking tacbo didn't cause Lung Can, of course it forget to say the tar did, guess who payed for this "research" and used that little point to further their own ends?
=point is, science isn't always force for good and can be abused as much as drugs we are on about, I'm not saying these sites are false as I cannot say if are true and false, just saying don't be so quick to trust them and dismiss mine, because one side proves your points, the other doesn't, and I too need to do same.

however on the evidence side, seeing is believing. Now, I dislike to use such subjective evidence but will anyway, I know co-worker of my dad, (a man who till he met this guy thought same as you, he wouldn't do Weed, but wasn't against it being legal) however this guy shows all classic signs of weed abuser, he is paranoid, slow responses, lung problems...etc, now I cannot say how much he uses or how far his effects are subjective to him, so far from proves my point, however point is, poeple will get like him, if legalize it

Quote:
Just because people drink every now and then doesn't mean you're abusing it. Same goes with cannabis.
Indeed, and that is answered above, though there will be those who can use it responsibility, a lot won't, specifically those those who don't know how because don't have knowledge or exp, but shouldn't find it ready for use legally or those who simply cannot control their own wants

=however like I said I think drinking and Cannabis need to be looked at different ways, but if go on smoking, like I said I would ban both (not that it would be possible to actually do, just saying)

On, the whole I agree Cannabis is victem of double standards in politics and far from worse thing out there, however to me, that doesn't act as justification for it legalization, it shows that there are other problems we need to deal with in fact.

PS I think kana, has shown my view better than I did (only little different on some areas, as don't ban acholole, but needs to be better restrictions and laws around it, I mean in UK you can legally drink in own home at age of 14 o0)

PSS mysta, making beer is easy, making beer I would drink isn't so much lol

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 09-01-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan's Voice View Post
Marijuana is illegal because it is hard to keep track of selling.

Anyways, no one likes a drunk in the same way no one likes one who is high:

"Hey...Heydude, I...Just want to...tell you...that *vomits*...I love you...Kiss me...*faints*"
There is not one person I've ever been with that's high that's acted like that. That's probably a one in a hundred thousand situation. Drunk, yes, but if you vomit while you're high you are not going to say I love you. Ever.

Quote:
Ok, maybe if you read what I put, you may actually understand what on about, I never said that beer was good, infact I said complete opposite, however it isn't worse than Weed, it is lot harder to mess yourself up with Alcohol than is Weed, however course more poeple will die from alcohol if more poeple use it, more of time, that doesn't mean alcohol is worse, just more abused.
Actually, marijuana is better for you. Beer, despite the incredibly small amount of alcohol, still damages your liver and cannot be consumed any other way. Marijuana can be cooked into food making it virtually harmless in nearly all senses of the word.

Quote:
Again, read what I put, I was clearly on about long term effects, if it was just the short term effects, then yes I wouldn't mind weed, but it does have long term effects which cannot be rejected
There really aren't any long-term effects seeing as to attain those effects, one would have to smoke weed (at least) daily which is a hard feat and something that very few people do. I hate having to bring alcohol up again (seeing as it's the easiest comparison to do, it's almost inevitable), but the effects of being a drunk your whole life as opposed to be a pothead is most likely far more devastating.

Quote:
Ok, I think being serious here, as seem to be and don;t know me will enough to take piss out of my dyslexia, so I will answer properly, the point I'm making is simple one, in UK Weed is basically legal and sense it was made legal, a lot of problems have come from it, from raise in general drug problems (which admittedly cannot all be put at weeds feet) to raise in normal of poeple suffering from its long term problems, which is pretty easy to work out why
I'm sorry, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always heard the UK has had a problem with crime, the fact that a drug has become "basically" legal and has been causing problems comes as no surprise. Give something like weed to an abused population and they'll most likely abuse said drug.

Quote:
The first one's site may not be what you call amazing, however if actually read it, you see the site is just link to proper reseach
Well the site doesn't load for me so I really can't check it out.

Quote:
as for other 2, I will admit I didn't take too much care in picking them, but the information on them is true and if you don't wish to believe it, not much I can do or say, so I just hope for your sake you don't suffer any negative effects from use of weed (you seem generally pretty level headed, so like me controlling my gambling and acholole use, sure you can control yours, sadly not everyone will be like you and sometimes the state does need to nanny poeple, I know I talk about her a lot, but my sister is psychiatric nurse and if I got pound for every time she told me about someone one who had ruined there life with drugs (and weed included,) well lets just say my life would be made, I know it may seem harmless at time and hell only using say once every so often probably is harmless, however just look at examples you put of McD's, smoking and acholole, all fine in small amounts, but most poeple don't use it that way and it isn't case of there legal, so everything should be as well, it is more case that others should not be legal as well as this, the only one which is maybe little different is Acholole, and that depends on type because is lot harder to abuse, but there is arguments against that, but think acholole is problem which needs tackling in different )
I'm not denying that weed hasn't caused problems, but this is all a matter of mental health. I knew what I was getting into when I started and have been holding steadfast to it. However the problems weed create pale in comparison to any other kind of drug or beverage that it's almost laughable.

Quote:
Mate I admit only simi read them, but don't think their anymore reiable than mine, because flashy site, I looked at "Real Scientific Study from 90's and that proved that smoking tacbo didn't cause Lung Can, of course it forget to say the tar did, guess who payed for this "research" and used that little point to further their own ends?
=point is, science isn't always force for good and can be abused as much as drugs we are on about, I'm not saying these sites are false as I cannot say if are true and false, just saying don't be so quick to trust them and dismiss mine, because one side proves your points, the other doesn't, and I too need to do same.
I barely looked at that site, but I've read the other two thoroughly. I believe them because A) they're not government-funded and B) they don't look like they were made by a 12 year old learning basic HTML. If my intuition is incorrect then the school system has failed me (which wouldn't be that big of a surprise, to be honest).

Quote:
however on the evidence side, seeing is believing. Now, I dislike to use such subjective evidence but will anyway, I know co-worker of my dad, (a man who till he met this guy thought same as you, he wouldn't do Weed, but wasn't against it being legal) however this guy shows all classic signs of weed abuser, he is paranoid, slow responses, lung problems...etc, now I cannot say how much he uses or how far his effects are subjective to him, so far from proves my point, however point is, poeple will get like him, if legalize it
Not trying to be defensive, but a number of variables can effect paranoia and slow response time. Maybe not lung capacity but I haven't seen a study or talked to a guy who toked up a lot that have really shown a terrible lung problem. If there is a lung problem, it's more likely because weed set them on the road to cigarettes, which are arguably worse.
Old 09-02-2009
Chumba Wumba

Quote:
There is not one person I've ever been with that's high that's acted like that. That's probably a one in a hundred thousand situation. Drunk, yes, but if you vomit while you're high you are not going to say I love you. Ever.
I think that is called taking a statement too literally lol

Quote:
Actually, marijuana is better for you. Beer, despite the incredibly small amount of alcohol, still damages your liver and cannot be consumed any other way. Marijuana can be cooked into food making it virtually harmless in nearly all senses of the word.
Ok, it looks like you do not want to read what I'm putting, so I will try one last time, in different way and then give up:-

If you drank a normal sized glass of <place own drink> a day, it would have little to no, negative effects depending on person.
Like you said yourself, if you had 1 weed a day, it would have several negative effects.

Weed is worse, not the worse drug going by any means, but worse than alcohol, it is just that poeple don't use it like that, A lot of poeple will drink a lot more than they use weed, this doesn't mean weed is better, it means it is not as abused as alcohol's is, in that way. However if you made it legal I suspect looking at it, there is good chance it would be.

Quote:
There really aren't any long-term effects seeing as to attain those effects, one would have to smoke weed (at least) daily which is a hard feat and something that very few people do. I hate having to bring alcohol up again (seeing as it's the easiest comparison to do, it's almost inevitable), but the effects of being a drunk your whole life as opposed to be a pothead is most likely far more devastating.
This is something where you have to choose what to believe, if you wish to believe no negative effects, I cannot stop you, I just hope you don't live to regret that

Quote:
I'm sorry, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always heard the UK has had a problem with crime, the fact that a drug has become "basically" legal and has been causing problems comes as no surprise. Give something like weed to an abused population and they'll most likely abuse said drug.
As well as not being sure what hope to prove here, I have to say that I think you must be making a joking here, as you don't seem like kind of person who would normally make such silly comment. Yes we have crime, are we worse county in world for crime? Statistically no, but then statistic's are flawed here anyway, as depends what you see as crime and lot of others things.....etc

And this is all moot point, as nothing to do with what I was saying, I'm on about fact that UK has shown that making weed more legal isn't always the answer and if you feel that USA is going to be more responsible, well that is tech impossible to say, but I wouldn't count on it.

Quote:
Well the site doesn't load for me so I really can't check it out.
I will check the address to make sure, as sometimes doesn't always make link right

Quote:
I'm not denying that weed hasn't caused problems, but this is all a matter of mental health. I knew what I was getting into when I started and have been holding steadfast to it. However the problems weed create pale in comparison to any other kind of drug or beverage that it's almost laughable.
Again, if you wish to look at it all as small thing, that is your choice, I just hope you don't live to regret it.

Quote:
I barely looked at that site, but I've read the other two thoroughly. I believe them because A) they're not government-funded and B) they don't look like they were made by a 12 year old learning basic HTML. If my intuition is incorrect then the school system has failed me (which wouldn't be that big of a surprise, to be honest).
Sometimes a flashy site doesn't make the research on it, anymore valid, just makes more appealing to eye and so poeple feel it is more valid. And just because the person funding it isn't government, doesn't mean they don't have own aims and agenda's to push forward, IE that smoking example, it was smoking companies who published their results not government.

Quote:
Not trying to be defensive, but a number of variables can effect paranoia and slow response time. Maybe not lung capacity but I haven't seen a study or talked to a guy who toked up a lot that have really shown a terrible lung problem. If there is a lung problem, it's more likely because weed set them on the road to cigarettes, which are arguably worse.
Well like I said he was hardly conclusive, but an example of what it can do and not to believe these poeple who tell you it is harmless, it may not be worse thing out there, but isn't good ether. (and as far as I know, he has never smoked cig, however that is only far as I know)

I feel not about down grading Weed, but upgrading cigs and alcohol and So that is last thing have to say, as to say more would be going round in circles

Last edited by Fat1Fared; 09-02-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2009

Blurb: My sexual preference is often.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but no one's ever died from smoking marijuana. Ever.
Old 09-03-2009

Blurb: Monster Hunter
Send a message via AIM to AsteriskRocks Send a message via MSN to AsteriskRocks

Quote:
I'd like to see someone accidentally set their house on fire with a joint...
I would laugh.
Old 09-03-2009

Marshmallow

as a matter of fact I do smoke marijuana its gooooooooood stuff!
Old 09-03-2009

Quote:
I'd like to see someone accidentally set their house on fire with a joint...
Well, if we're taking that approach, then refrigerators have killed more people than marijuana. [Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...ondo-fire.html].

But, of course, refrigerators are perfectly legal.

(Aren't you glad I'm back?)
Old 09-03-2009

Quote:
No, I just think it'd be hilarious if someone set their house on fire with a joint and got burns all over their body, all because they were so baked that they stared at the colors of the fire as it engulfed them.
Indeed, third degree burns are comic gold.
Old 09-05-2009

Quote:
I think that is called taking a statement too literally lol
It's true, though.

Quote:
Ok, it looks like you do not want to read what I'm putting, so I will try one last time, in different way and then give up:-

If you drank a normal sized glass of <place own drink> a day, it would have little to no, negative effects depending on person.
Like you said yourself, if you had 1 weed a day, it would have several negative effects.

Weed is worse, not the worse drug going by any means, but worse than alcohol, it is just that poeple don't use it like that, A lot of poeple will drink a lot more than they use weed, this doesn't mean weed is better, it means it is not as abused as alcohol's is, in that way. However if you made it legal I suspect looking at it, there is good chance it would be.
Drinking alcohol everyday has more negative effects than weed, I'm certain.

Quote:
This is something where you have to choose what to believe, if you wish to believe no negative effects, I cannot stop you, I just hope you don't live to regret that
It's not a belief, it's fact. I haven't seen compelling proof of it otherwise.

Quote:
As well as not being sure what hope to prove here, I have to say that I think you must be making a joking here, as you don't seem like kind of person who would normally make such silly comment. Yes we have crime, are we worse county in world for crime? Statistically no, but then statistic's are flawed here anyway, as depends what you see as crime and lot of others things.....etc

And this is all moot point, as nothing to do with what I was saying, I'm on about fact that UK has shown that making weed more legal isn't always the answer and if you feel that USA is going to be more responsible, well that is tech impossible to say, but I wouldn't count on it.
I recall talking to someone saying the UK has a bad crime rate. Never said it was the "worst in the world" (don't even know where you got that from).

My point was that if you give a weed to a trouble society wouldn't they easily abuse it, as with any drug?

Quote:
Again, if you wish to look at it all as small thing, that is your choice, I just hope you don't live to regret it.
What small thing? Smoking is a responsibility that I take very seriously. If it was some "small thing" I wouldn't be here right now.

Quote:
Sometimes a flashy site doesn't make the research on it, anymore valid, just makes more appealing to eye and so poeple feel it is more valid. And just because the person funding it isn't government, doesn't mean they don't have own aims and agenda's to push forward, IE that smoking example, it was smoking companies who published their results not government.
What agenda? Make something legal? What could they possibly gain from saying marijuana isn't bad?

Quote:
Well like I said he was hardly conclusive, but an example of what it can do and not to believe these poeple who tell you it is harmless, it may not be worse thing out there, but isn't good ether. (and as far as I know, he has never smoked cig, however that is only far as I know)

I feel not about down grading Weed, but upgrading cigs and alcohol and So that is last thing have to say, as to say more would be going round in circles
Alrighty then.
Old 09-05-2009
Deputy Executive Assistant Moderator; Chimera Ant Queen; SallylamiGami; Leasee

Blurb: Happily married since 10/19/2013

Quote:
Drinking alcohol everyday has more negative effects than weed, I'm certain.
http://www.ynhh.org/online/nutrition.../red_wine.html

Just thought that I'd throw that out there.
Old 09-06-2009

Marshmallow

As a matter of fact I do smoke marijuana its goooooodd stuff!!!!!
Old 09-06-2009

Blurb: don't pee on me and tell me it's raining

Quote:
...GET A JOB, YOU DRUGGED UP COMMUNISTS! >:V
the commies get drunk the hippies get drugged.....get it right =D
Old 09-09-2009

And it's just so good for the kids. ><

Through the years, from when I was 8 and up, my parents let me take sips of alcohol, whether it be beer or wine. I don't think you want your kids to take hits of marijuana when their brains are still early in developing.

There's difference between a hit and a sip. If marijuana were legalized, I bet some children would face more problems from that than alcohol.

Just putting that out there. Humans love to abuse resources.
Old 09-10-2009

Blurb: Guh? Muh? Wuh? Zuh?!
Send a message via MSN to Seraphim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMind View Post
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but no one's ever died from smoking marijuana. Ever.
No one's ever died from it directly.