This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Forum Community > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007

Since We don't have an RPG forum, and there are already similar topics here, I thought I would give this idea a try here.
A Forum RPG. Not the "LOL A Chat Room in a Forum!" kind, but the slightly more serious kind, with a plot and stuff. I assume there is no problem with one of those? This is the type of RPG, where we have well thought out and fully detailed characters, a GM(just me for now) who is in control of the plot and direction, and more than a couple sentences in each post.

Also this is not the kind of RPG you can be a Near God Like Fighter, so when I make a Demi-God with three paragraphs of Description Rise from the Earth in Front of you, No "I go into my Chaos Form and Half the Monster in Half!". I would like to keep characters Low Level at first at least. Remember, I'm Not Playing Against You, I'm tring to weave you into an interesting Story, so I'm not going to Kill you off just like that. I'm also wishing to keep away from Real PvP for starters(though I am thinking of starting with two separate group who start off with a battle, but get interrupted and join forces, more on that later).

Also try to be a little original with Characters and stuff... I don't want every other character to be Cloud, Yami or Link....

Since this is a forum based around fans of a parody of an Anime based upon a Children's Card Game, I've decided to base the RPG somewhat on Card games, but not a particular one (and yes, you're free to make up your own cards).
The Background plot is thus. This RPG takes place in a World (I'm poor at names, could do with a little help here) split into several Kingdoms. It is fantasy, with occasional elements of Technology, a lot like FF games, etc. In Ancient times the World was alnost a single undviided Kingdom, but a Great War arose, between Humans and their Creations, the Monsters. The Humans eventually won by sealing their rebellious creations inside Cards.
However, Wars arose from Wars for the Cards, between factions of the Humans themselves, each seeking to use the power of the Cards to restore their Lands back to their former glory that was lost during the Previous War, and thus the World became split into Kingdoms that warred constantly for many ages, until in recent times peace was achieved between most of the Kingdoms, the remaining Kingdoms now keeping to themselves.
The Kingdoms all use cards for everything, using the Imprisoned Monsters as Slaves, and also using newer Cards with embedded magic that bestow the user with Powers (like Flight, Magic Armour, Magic Sword, etc), or can be given to Monster Slaves to enpower them too (Yami: So it's just like Duel Monsters?) . There are also Cards with more Power Magic in them, that can cause amazing things to happen (Like return all Monster Slaves to their Card forms, or return all powers in use to their cards, or just make a massive explosion), or Make it so the area acts like it is another place, or open a door to another place for easy travel. Powerful cards like these are, however, extremely Rare (SO no using them every other battle. And that goes for "Egyptian God Card" level monster cards too, I don't care if you have the Heart of the Cards! Though you are allowed some fairly powerful "Monster Cards" to remain in full form and follow you around too).

The Idea behind the RPG's story will be thus. The Princess (or Prince if no one wants to be a Princess, I just like the idea of a Princess for the role better) of one Kingdom is coming to her 17th Birthday, which is when children become Adults in her Kingdom. Thus her parents, the King and Queen, are having a massive Party, inviting delegates from the other Kingdoms. Thus, people will be able to choose characters to come from any of the friendly Kingdoms (including some they make up, within reason, as GM I'll have final say...). A Band of Pirates decide to Gate Crash, however, and a small battle begins. Knowing Pirates can make fun characters, I'm going to allow people to choose one of these Pirates as their character too (One or the other, not one of both). This Battle is interrupted (not worked out the full details of who yet, and besides, wouldn't it be better as a surprise?), and after the second group of Gate Crashers are chased off by the joint forces, The Princess will decide to go on an Adventure to try to find and stop the plans of the second Gatecrashers, and the Pirates will agree to help.

So some of the characters I would really like to have are:
The Princess
A Knight of the Royal Guard, and old childhood friend of the Princess (I like clichees)
A Monster who is given to the Princess on her Birthday (I would prefer female gender). The idea being that when they are of age, people of her Kingdom are given a Card Monster to serve as their maid and companion.
A Few other members of the Kingdom.
Visitors from other Kingdoms.
A few members of the misfit band of Pirates..
You can be Monsters too, but note, they are mostly used as Slaves, sometimes pets, rarely actually friends, etc, so your character will be treated hostilely at times. Pirates however tend to treat Monsters as equals more often though, so having a Pirate Character who is a Monster makes much more sense than A Monster Character acting as the delegate from such and such Kingdom, though you could also be one of the lucky monster's whose Master treats them as an equal.

I will fill in a few characters, so don't choose them. The Captain of the Pirates, and a Wizard Tutor and mentor to the Princess. This will help me to better direct the RPG. Also The King and Queen of the Kingdom are out of Bounds, they have to stay behind and rule.Or something.

A few ideas of some of the Kingdoms and stuff:

The Main Kingdom (feel free to name it for me), as in the one where the Action begins and where the Princess is from, is one of the most peaceful Kingdoms, in a temperate climate that allows them to be wealthy and live contently.
Out somewhere to see there is a Kingdom of Pirates, which is really a large bunch of ships tied together. Pirates find their way to it using a special compass, since it is always moving position. There is a Queen of Pirates. The Band who gatecrash, are fairly famous, but not a really major Band of Pirates or anything.
There is a large landmass of Desert, that actually have a few Kingdoms on it, but is mostly hostile desert with no civilisation. It is rumoured there is a Kingdom of Free Monsters lurking somewhere in the Desert. Some of the actual Kingdoms here are friendly enough with the Main Kingdom to have delegates invited to the Party.
There is a Kingdom of "Machines", where the government dug up ancient technology from before the war, and become so engrossed in it that they shut out all the other Kingdoms. They are became obessessed with technology, and most of the rare encounters of "delegates" have heavily adapted themselves with machinery. It is even rumoured that they kidnap people from other Kingdoms when they feel something is too dangerous to experiment on themselves. They do not use Cards in the same way as the other Kingdoms, but have confined much of their tech into cards, to make trading easier, when they do decide they would like to trade with the outside World.
I'll leave people to make up their own Kingdoms for most part. I might make up a couple and write them down tomorrow.

I am not starting the RPG right now, for now I want people to tell me if they are interested, and tell me about the characters they wish to use.... And a little help with making up the names of the different places.
For people's characters, I want their Name, their Kingdom(with a description if not the main Kingdom, or even if you are form the Main Kingdom), a description of their character's appearance, your character's "Character" (as in are they shy, cowardly, brave, a womenizer, a maniac, etc), a bit of their background (if you have something you don't want other characters knowing PM me, I predict there will be much PMing going on with this RPG, as I set people up, or give them info only their character will know., etc..

Also feel free to ask more details from me... I'm currently a little tired, so unable to think quite straight, but give me a chance and I'll be back on track, and ready to think more fully about anything you want to know more about. I think the RPG description is a little vague right now, sorry, but help me fill in the gaps, or at least, identify the gaps.

Also if you this with is a terrible idea, and don't want it to happen, then the best way you can do that is to ignore the topic.
If the Mods think this is a bad idea, sorry, I just really used to love Forum RPGs, many many moons ago... I did not mean offence or trouble.
If the Mods think Forum RPGs are a good idea, then could we get a RPG Forum? Just use a line from Episode 21: Massively Multiplayer Online Children's Card Game for the Forum's Caption.... [smiley2]
If the Mods think this is such a good idea they want to GM too ummm I suppose I can't stop you, but could we discuss ideas fiirst before you take over my RPG? Please?

And for anyone confused, no I don't mean Rocket Propelled Grenades.

Well I'm posting this for now, more focused idea as I come up with it...