This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and Gon's Balls will whisper 'First... comes... rock!' Hah!  Made you stare at Naruto's Marshmallow!  Pushing the logo off-center to drive TheOcean insane.  

HomeEpisodesStoreForumiTunes Chat

Go Back   Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Abridged Series > Other Interests > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007

The age-old question: are subs or dubs better for animes? Personally, it isn't even a question. I literally refuse to any dubbed anime, even if a sub is unavailable. Yes, I'm a huge snob. =P
Old 07-18-2007

That's lame, there are VERY good dubs out there.
And I'll watch whatever is available/whatever I think sounds good.
Old 07-18-2007
Banned

I only watch Dubs. So I'll go with Dubs. I don't understand how people would want to read.
Old 07-18-2007

Your sarcasm directly offends me. >:(
Old 07-18-2007

Subs. I usually find the original to have better voice acting. Not that I won't watch the dub, though. I saw dub Naruto and Bleach before I switched over to the originals. The only dubs I really refuse to watch are the butchered ones like the Yu-Gi-Oh! animes and other 4Kids stuff.
Old 07-18-2007

I have no preference... with every anime, I watch both versions and then decide which I like better. I generally tend to choose subs, but my all my favorites are dubbed: Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Fruits Basket...

And with Cowboy Bebop especially, I can't imagine Spike's voice as anyone other than Stephen Jay Blum. Or Torhu as Laura Bailey. :P
Old 07-18-2007
Banned

Sorry, my serious answer would be subs are much better , but I'm glad dubs exist.
Old 07-18-2007

Some dubs suck, some dubs don't.

Some subs suck, some subs don't.
Old 07-18-2007

I like a lot of dubs, but a lot suck. The good ones include Wolf's Rain, FMA, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimia (bit iffy but for the most part I do like the voices), Naruto (say what you want about it, the voices, especially Naruto's, are very close to the original Japanese) and Yugioh GX in season 3 (dunno why... the voices just started getting better and the dialogue is very LKish).

The worst Dub ever is the Prince of Tennis! Which sucks cause it's one of my fave animes.
Old 07-18-2007

I like both. If I have seen a fansubbed series, I make it a point to buy the licensed DVDs since they usually have dubs. Series like Gunbuster 2, Loveless, et cetera I'm a little disappointed with because they don't have dubs. I'd love it if they did but it's like the original is preserved, so it's okay.
Old 07-18-2007

Send a message via AIM to Yoshi8710

wichever i watch first...
once i get used to a voice, i cant ever wactch that hsow with a different voice.
so if i see the subbed version first, ill read, but im fine with watching a dubbed one.
Old 07-18-2007

Just depends on the voice acting.
Old 07-18-2007

in my case i prefear the original with subs always.
not because i have anything about the dubs but because i prefear to enjoy the original product over an alteration.
I don´t care which one is the original language.
per example, i like japanese audio and eng subs for anime and eng audio for movies or cartoons. (or if the movie is from poland i prefear polish) I just can´t picture the TMNT or Spidey speaking japanese (yes, there is an anime about the TMNT).

i
Old 07-18-2007

Subs, ever since FF7: advent children ruined the best line.
"Your late, bitch" turns into "Hey, where you been?"
and "Notice it quicker, child with no devotion to their parent" into "A good son would have known."
I just find (good) subs better because it keeps the essence of the original, and points out how amazingly funny it is with the different phrases in differnet languages.
I can't get over the engrish expression "thats for chickens to laugh at" instead of "thats stupid"

--edit-- also the Japense voice actors are usually better then the english ones.

--edit 2--
actually, I've changed my mind to fan-subs. Similar, but not the same because they tend to carry over the original meaning more.
Old 07-18-2007

i'd say subs because mostly because most jokes are from japan and the english will most likely ruin the joke
Old 07-18-2007

I'll go with subs every time. Some dubs are good but in most cases the diolouge is altered or just scrapped altogether. In more extreme cases, scenes are edited or removed in order to be suitable for an audience it was not originally intended for. To me, messing with people's work like that just isn't right.
Old 07-18-2007

Subs. Unless they have good voice actors... like in Howl's Moving Castle. Mmm-mmm, Christian Bale did Howl gooood. xP
Old 07-18-2007

Generally I go with subs, but I'm not a jerk about it. If you don't believe there's such a thing as a good dub, I recommend watching Ghost Stories. The story in the original Japanese was stupid and nonsensical, but then ADV gave it an "abridged" type treatment (WITH the consent, nay, at the behest of the original creators per my conversation with one of the VAs), but kept the episodes at full length. I also loved the dubs for Nerima Daikon Brothers, Azumanga Daioh and R.O.D. the TV, just to name a few.
Old 07-18-2007

You realize they original animation companies usually give permission or don't care if their series is edited for another release...
As long as they make money...
And anime are almost always uncut on their DVD release.
Old 07-18-2007

Well clearly he cares. People do like the original more most of the time.
Old 07-18-2007

i'm not bothered really...its really whatever i watch the anime in first (though that didn't apply to Fruits Basket) like i watched the 4kids one piece dub and try to watch it subbed and i couldn't get into it. But there are some good dubs out there i even think that the Fruits Basket dub surpasses the original japanese
Old 07-18-2007

Blurb: Tsuki ni kawatte, oshioki yo!

So? You offend me.
Old 07-18-2007

Subs are better because it maintains the jokes/cultural stuff that are either cencored or lost in translation when dubbed.
Old 07-18-2007

Both.

Obviously I don't watch the awful 4kids stuff, but there are plenty of great dubs. Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, Full Metal Alchemist, etc. And I still watch the subs of Naruto and Bleach. AND I read the manga.

I just don't like it when people are such sub-purists that they snub any dub in any form of any anime without even watching it, or just basing it off the first episode or whatever.
The people that claim they don't watch dubs because "these three characters' voices are horrible", usually the problem isn't the voice actor, it's the person being so used to japanese voices they instantly hate English voice overs.
Prime example: Wally Wingert doing Renji of Bleach. At first, everyone hated him. Some people still do. But a lot of people eventually got used to it. I'll admit I hated him when he was first introduced at the end of... what, episode 15? 16? Either way, I didn't like it. But I eventually got used to him and now he's quite fitting, in my opinion.

Either way, both are good as long as it's not a 4kids abomination (though One Piece is not as bad as it once was; I watched most of Luffy's fight with Crocodile on Toonami, and it was pretty good)
Old 07-18-2007

Some dubs are great but not the majority of them. I usually prefer subtitles myself but there are animes that have great dubs, Cowboy Bebop for example. As anime becomes more popular the dubbing companies are also getting better at their jobs.
Old 07-18-2007

Blurb: I got face to personaly mess with me

I'm a bit crazy and don't like hearing spoken Japanese some times. Now subing the opening credits I have no problems with.
The quality of the dubbing comes down to who is working on it. True some things get changed or moved around in dialogue. Some times they even get asked to change something because it wasn't clear to viewers in the original. Dubbing anime is running the show through the directorial process a second time.
Old 07-18-2007

Personally I perfer subs because you can hear the original voices of the characters, but the downside of subs is that the sub groups could screw up in the translations. If you watch anime with subs you have to be careful of which sub groups to download off. Dubs are just plain weird in my opinion. After watching the japanese version of anime and switching back to dubs its like the new voices change the character's personality. (for example - in Bleach ichimaru's voice in the sub version makes him sound like a lower class peasent. In the dub they made him sound like an aristocrat.) I say that its a huge change to a character whe watching the dubs.
Old 07-18-2007

If 4Kids doesn't dub it, I'll give the dub a chance, but I prefer subs.

The only dub I've ever seen thats better than the sub is Trigun and thats because they did it in English first.
Old 07-18-2007

I could go either way.
4Kids dubs, like Kirby and Pokemon, I will watch the subs anyday. But I like opening up other tabs in my IE browser and looking at other stuff (which I'm doing right now, actually), and I can understand the dubs better (I know a little bit of Japanese, but not much). But the original voice actors are better than dub actors, so...
Evangelion, FMA, and Naruto have ok dubs.
Zombie Loan dosn't even HAVE dubs ' ' ;
Old 07-18-2007

I only watch subs unless i have absolutely nothing else to do and am bored to tears, in which case i might watch a dubbed movie like Howl's moving castle. Subs stick to the dialogue. Dubs dont always. Voices have to blow ass in the subs in order for me to consider watching the dubs, and even then the dubs will have to be really good otherwise i wont watch.